New Versa Max Competition Tactical - Loading Issue

pittglocker

Fanatic
Hi all,
As the topic title says, my question is specific to the Versa Max Competition Tactical. There is a lot of advice out there regarding various mods, but I admit I'm confused as to what mods are appropriate to the Tactical as opposed to the Competition Tactical. That being said, I found it very difficult to load out of the box. There was a rather hard stop about 1/2" from a shell going in to the magazine tube. It would take quite a push to get it all the way loaded. Now after 50 rounds or so, this became a lot easier, but I'm still not having much luck with loading two. So, I'm requesting opinions on what mods I might consider on the Competition Tactical to make loading smoother and easier. Thank you all.
Jeff

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
You should talk to Mike at Accurate Iron. He knows quite a bit about them.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
What he said ^^^^

Even the "3-gun ready right out of the box" guns can benefit from a good gunsmith.

I wish I knew more about the VM so I could help you. Sounds like maybe your shell catch needs tuning.

pittglocker

Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
What he said ^^^^

Even the "3-gun ready right out of the box" guns can benefit from a good gunsmith.

Sounds like maybe your shell catch needs tuning.
I absolutely agree with the sentiment regarding "ready right out of the box", although I think Remington has done well with beveling the loading port area and they have at least taken a stab at improving the carrier.

Wells said:
I absolutely agree with the sentiment regarding "ready right out of the box", although I think Remington has done well with beveling the loading port area and they have at least taken a stab at improving the carrier.
"taking a stab at" sucks when youre paying to have it right the first time. the load port is about 40% pf whats good. the stock forearm, though, is the big suckage

pittglocker

Fanatic
Well I agree with you but to be honest, I'm not sure if the carrier still needs work or not. I know the one on the Tactical does. I'm assuming the forearm needs relieved so your hand has a smooth path after loading the shells?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spiff

Semi-Pro
The Competition Tactical lifter isn't really long enough. You could get yours re-welded or buy a complete one from Taran Tactical. Or send it to Mike and tell him to fix it.

Austin T said:
The Competition Tactical lifter isn't really long enough. You could get yours re-welded or buy a complete one from Taran Tactical. Or send it to Mike and tell him to fix it.
The TTI one is way too short for the VM. they will work, but arent a "fit". Taran is wrong for saying they are for VM's.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I'd agree that the loading ports aren't opened enough. And the lifters do better once extended. Buddy had his welded by CRums. I used it before and after and it was a huge difference. Trying to convince him to break out the files and open up the loading port more now, but he's afraid to.

pittglocker

Fanatic
billdozer said:
Jeff, pm me if you want cockrum's cell number. Accurate Iron would do a helluva job too, but Jeff's a little closer to us.
I'm familiar with his work, but thanks. I'll have him do the work as soon as I decide which mods to go with. Right now the general consensus is modifying the carrier and reshaping the forearm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
I have gotten my thumb stuck in the stock Remnelli 3 gun model. The carrier needs extended and the port could use more work. They are a good start.

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
is the problem only once it gets to half the shell? Or does it have a lot of tension all the way?

If tension all the way, make sure the clamp is not too tight. Also you can cut 4 coils off your magazine spring so that it doesnt run to tight. Makes load two much easier.

pittglocker

Fanatic
pdh said:
is the problem only once it gets to half the shell? Or does it have a lot of tension all the way?

If tension all the way, make sure the clamp is not too tight. Also you can cut 4 coils off your magazine spring so that it doesnt run to tight. Makes load two much easier.
The issue is just in one spot, but it has improved a lot. Possibly a sticky shell catch as a previous response indicated. Thanks.
Jeff

Jeff. Pax vobiscum.

billdozer

Well-Known Fanatic
I just had the following done to my son's VersaMax:
Tuned shell catch
Trigger job
Install rear sight
Weld and tune lifter
We're gonna open the port ourselves.

pittglocker

Fanatic
billdozer said:
I just had the following done to my son's VersaMax:
Tuned shell catch
Trigger job
Install rear sight
Weld and tune lifter
We're gonna open the port ourselves.
Thanks for the feedback. Is your son's the Tactical as opposed to the Competition Tactical? In any case, I think the port on the Competition Tactical is adequate for my needs, so I'll probably be looking at the lifter and shell catch mods.

Incidentally, can anyone provide more info as to what needs to be done to the forearm? I'm assuming it needs to be blended better so your hand doesn't hit it after the reload.

Latest posts