New to the forum. I might be the oddball here for a couple of reasons:

deepsquatter804

Fanatic
1) I'm from California.
2) I don't own a 1911 but I'm a fan of the .45 ACP.
3) The first 45 I bought was a Glock 21. Soooo, I'll mostly listen and keep quiet.
4) If I do buy a 1911 I'd probably want to get something as close to what my father would have carried in the Marines in WWII.
Finally, I am not sure how I started receiving email updates from the forums here but I read them and decided to check them out.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome....we won't hold ypu living in California against you.
I love Glocks, I had a bunch of them before I got hooked on 1911s.

As far as a 1911 like your Father would have carried, there are a lot of USGI pistols available. I looked for a nice Remington Rand for a while, my grandfather carried a RR as well as a Garand in WWII

Here is my Rem Rand
A1A1AE02-EED4-460F-B2B1-B5BCDB0D5BBC.jpeg

deepsquatter804

Fanatic

As far as a 1911 like your Father would have carried, there are a lot of USGI pistols available. I looked for a nice Remington Rand for a while, my grandfather carried a RR as well as a Garand in WWII

Here is my Rem Rand
View attachment 6779

Here is my Rem Rand
View attachment 6779
Very nice. That's pretty much what I want. saw an article not too long ago about companies that offered replicas. I think Remington and Springfield made were on the list. Maybe in 2021 I'll finally pick up a 1911!

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. There's probably a lot of companies that make what you are looking for everywhere from around $400 and up. Lots of great choices and some pretty good companies making them.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome from east central Missouri . A lot of fanatics own Glocks , Sigs , etc. Another recurring theme is S&W and Colt revolvers . Especially N frame Smiths and Colt Pythons . So make yourself at home . Once you try a 1911 you'll understand .

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
1) I'm from California.
3) The first 45 I bought was a Glock 21. Soooo, I'll mostly listen and keep quiet.
4) If I do buy a 1911 I'd probably want to get something as close to what my father would have carried in the Marines in WWII.
Finally, I am not sure how I started receiving email updates from the forums here but I read them and decided to check them out.
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

deepsquatter804

Fanatic
Welcome from east central Missouri . A lot of fanatics own Glocks , Sigs , etc. Another recurring theme is S&W and Colt revolvers . Especially N frame Smiths and Colt Pythons . So make yourself at home . Once you try a 1911 you'll understand .
I've got a couple of N-Frames (Models 27 and 29) and an X-Frame (500) so I guess I'm not as much of an oddball as I thought! Thanks for the welcome!

Mike Sherman

Fanatic
1) I'm from California.
I own 1911s but also love my Glock 30 in .45 ACP. No failure to feeds and it shoots where you point it.

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
1) I'm from California.
I'm in the communist state of New York so I can relate to you being in California. I've been shooting for over 50 years now. I really like a wide verity of handguns. Being an old guy 1911's and wheel guns were always my favorite. A few years ago I pick up a used but unfired Glock 21 and I must say it runs flawlessly, so far not one malfunction of any type. Great gun. Then a little while later at the same shop I came across a used Glock 30 . It also runs flawlessly. Amazing. These day's with the ammo situation I clean them more than I shoot them . Hopefully we can all get back to shooting soon.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the site, deepsquatter80 4

Having spent many years in Calif. - San Diego' 72'- '86 , & SDSU '81 you have my sympathy, for remaining there.
I too bit the Glock bug, years ago bought a 21 , as I wanted a dbl stack 45 & didn't know anyone made a dbl stack 1911 @ the time.
I probably have the oldest, least fired , Gen 2 ( 2.5) mod 21 in existence..
Eventually found & bought a Para P 14 , so no real need for the Glock, & despite having the 21 & a M 22 as well, never got used to the feel & handling of a polymer framed pistol. Found I much prefer real steel , all steel pistols.. blued or stainless.

If you try a 1911 , you may find your Glocks lose their appeal..
Try both a 45 & 9mm 1911, & bet you fall in love with one or both of them.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
1) I'm from California.
Welcome!

Have you shot 1911 very often?

This is a good place to visit with many enablers to help you spend your money. I like the idea of a WWII vintage gun too.

BTW, no need to keep quiet. Whether you love Glocks, 1911's or any other gat, you are welcome here. The participation is the reason we show up :)

Again, great to have you on the best 1911 forum on the www.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome from Indy South! Looking for a good replica 1911, I found this one. We raffle a firearm about every month or so at our VFW, I'm half of the raffle committee. This one is in 9mm, and currently out of stock, but I received one last week. Absolutely no grit, or slop in the slide to frame fit, did not come in dry, the action feels good, all in all a really nice pistol for the relatively low cost. All steel, so heavy, like the original, but aside from the fact its a 9mm, and an import, a good starting point. Have fun here!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hello & welcome aboard we really love the 1911 it was designed by John Moses Browning or aka JMB a truly great Firearms designer.
Today we have choices that we never had before with the 1911 from a Colt Government Model stock, to Race guns that would make the
master himself blush. So come on down & learn about the greatest pistol ever designed the M1911.

M1911andM1911A1.jpg

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
Welcome to the Forum. I'm also in the Peoples Republic of California. Planning my escape as we speak(write). Rest assured you will get a 1911 or 2 or3. I can't stand Block's but I will not hold that against you. If you are looking for your 1st 1911 that will not break the bank and will be reliable and a good shooter, may I suggest a Springfield (Marine Corps)MC operator. The 2 tone with the Pacmyer grips(you can change them later). It's been said that that model is between a Loaded and a TRP. Cost less. I have one and it is great out of the box. But be advised this is the beginning of an addiction. You'll see. KAGA.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome from NW Ohio! I unfortunately bought a 1911 as my first firearm so I was tainted towards all others from the start. We love all firearms d no need to apologize or keep quiet.

Latest posts