New thoughts on physical fitness and getting in the gym

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
My background, I started lifting weights when I was in my late teens and early twenties and went to the gym off and on all through the years. A couple years ago in 2009 I set a goal to bench 300 one time. Since January of 2010 I have gone to the gym every week sometimes with more intensity than other times. My original goal was to get stronger so I always looked at what excercises I could do to move the most amount of weight when working a particular body part.

Recently shooting precision rifle and doing the January run n gun I have tried to increase my cardio and strengthen my core to aid in ackward shooting positions. The thought of being in better physical condition led me to trying different workouts the local YMCA provides.

As of January the local YMCA started Boot camp which I would loosely compare to Cross fit without the heavy weights.
Example todays workout was
100 situps
90 lunges (each lunge counted as one)
80 leg lifts
70 Mountain Climbers
60 russian twists
50 push ups
This took me 13:25 minutes

another day was
100 jumping jacks (we had to do a front motion as well as the traditional side motion, this was equivalant to 200)
75 air squats
50 pushups
25 Burpees

both of these were a set amount of reps sometimes the workout will be how many sets can you do in 15-18 minutes, or Tabata where you work for 20 seconds rest for 10 seconds do 8 sets. Tabata consists of 4-5 different excercises and you only count the lowest amout of reps you did for each excercise so if you do 15 pushups for 6 sets 12 on set 6 and 8 on the last set then you can only count 8.

These boot camp classes are always something different, the common thread is running, situps, squats and lunges. There are some competitive women in there that are in very good shape, and sometimes I can pull ahead, sometimes tie or occasionally come in second or third to them. After some of these classes I have been extremely sore over the next couple of days. Recently l tried the body pump class I always thought it was a Chick workout, it has a bar with plastic concrete weights, the most weight you can put on it is maybe 60 lbs. This class is an hour long and I got my butt handed to me on Tuesday, first mistake was warming up with 60 lbs. I honestly thought 60 lbs was nothing. Those hands on the clock started moving real slow. Towards the end I had lots of pauses I didn't have anything left to give.
Today I went back and started with 40lbs on the bar and never changed the weight, I did good today, there were several other guys in there for the first time one started with weight similar to what I had it made me feel good because towards the end he was done.

My point in all this is there is much more out there than traditional weights and treadmill. I love traditional weights for the record and have always changed and modified my workouts periodically. I have always heard of plateaus but as of today I feel it is import to step out of your normal routine and try some kind of group workout if your schedule permits. Peer pressure helps you to keep trucking long after your mind says im done.

Since January I have dropped from 220 to 212, I am 5'10 with just a little bit of belly fat

I always wanted to go to bigger crossfit club but my schedule just don't allow it at this point.

My personal best are
405 on flat bench elbows going to 90 bar was a few inches off my chest
10 of 335 on incline after pyramiding up
set of 19 alternating dumbell bench press with 100 lb dumb bells.
10 of 295 closegrip bench press (triceps)
34 close grip pullups (both pullups are controlled straight up, straight down not the swinging crossfit ones) i cranked out 28 yesterday first set
31 wide grip pullups (i have not done these in a while I had some tennis elbow from lifting and shooting so I moved to close grip)

I seldom try to max out I just move up accordingly were I should be able to do at least 5-10 reps.

These are just my ramblings
Later,
Corey

02Fatboy

Well-Known Fanatic
Corey said:
My background, I started lifting weights when I was in my late teens and early twenties and went to the gym off and on all through the years. A couple years ago in 2009 I set a goal to bench 300 one time. Since January of 2010 I have gone to the gym every week sometimes with more intensity than other times. My original goal was to get stronger so I always looked at what excercises I could do to move the most amount of weight when working a particular body part.

Recently shooting precision rifle and doing the January run n gun I have tried to increase my cardio and strengthen my core to aid in ackward shooting positions. The thought of being in better physical condition led me to trying different workouts the local YMCA provides.

As of January the local YMCA started Boot camp which I would loosely compare to Cross fit without the heavy weights.
Example todays workout was
100 situps
90 lunges (each lunge counted as one)
80 leg lifts
70 Mountain Climbers
60 russian twists
50 push ups
This took me 13:25 minutes

another day was
100 jumping jacks (we had to do a front motion as well as the traditional side motion, this was equivalant to 200)
75 air squats
50 pushups
25 Burpees

both of these were a set amount of reps sometimes the workout will be how many sets can you do in 15-18 minutes, or Tabata where you work for 20 seconds rest for 10 seconds do 8 sets. Tabata consists of 4-5 different excercises and you only count the lowest amout of reps you did for each excercise so if you do 15 pushups for 6 sets 12 on set 6 and 8 on the last set then you can only count 8.

These boot camp classes are always something different, the common thread is running, situps, squats and lunges. There are some competitive women in there that are in very good shape, and sometimes I can pull ahead, sometimes tie or occasionally come in second or third to them. After some of these classes I have been extremely sore over the next couple of days. Recently l tried the body pump class I always thought it was a Chick workout, it has a bar with plastic concrete weights, the most weight you can put on it is maybe 60 lbs. This class is an hour long and I got my butt handed to me on Tuesday, first mistake was warming up with 60 lbs. I honestly thought 60 lbs was nothing. Those hands on the clock started moving real slow. Towards the end I had lots of pauses I didn't have anything left to give.
Today I went back and started with 40lbs on the bar and never changed the weight, I did good today, there were several other guys in there for the first time one started with weight similar to what I had it made me feel good because towards the end he was done.

My point in all this is there is much more out there than traditional weights and treadmill. I love traditional weights for the record and have always changed and modified my workouts periodically. I have always heard of plateaus but as of today I feel it is import to step out of your normal routine and try some kind of group workout if your schedule permits. Peer pressure helps you to keep trucking long after your mind says im done.

Since January I have dropped from 220 to 212, I am 5'10 with just a little bit of belly fat

I always wanted to go to bigger crossfit club but my schedule just don't allow it at this point.

My personal best are
405 on flat bench elbows going to 90 bar was a few inches off my chest
10 of 335 on incline after pyramiding up
set of 19 alternating dumbell bench press with 100 lb dumb bells.
10 of 295 closegrip bench press (triceps)
34 close grip pullups (both pullups are controlled straight up, straight down not the swinging crossfit ones) i cranked out 28 yesterday first set
31 wide grip pullups (i have not done these in a while I had some tennis elbow from lifting and shooting so I moved to close grip)

I seldom try to max out I just move up accordingly were I should be able to do at least 5-10 reps.

These are just my ramblings
Later,
Corey
****, Corey after reading all this I am going to go take a nap.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Once you get in a routine I found it easy to keep going.
Making good food choices is the hard part, I was eating a cinnamon roll when I read JT's post.

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
Corey said:
Once you get in a routine I found it easy to keep going.
Making good food choices is the hard part, I was eating a cinnamon roll when I read JT's post.
I had a beer

now I feel bloated

SpaceFlunky

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Eating right is a *****

baby steps dude!

For example, stop drinking your calories. Water, water, water, beer, water, water, water is my fluid intake and it has helped! Slow down considerably on the sweets and fried foods. Im not saying give them up! just be aware of how much you have had and keep your self in check.
If you do drink beer, make it a dark one.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Rick Honey said:
****, Corey after reading all this I am going to go take a nap.
If you came to some of these classes there is a good chance you would return there are some hot chicks in there. No butch looking once for sure.

I can see how the conversation would go
Me "I thought you was not coming back"
Rick " well I tried to take a nap... but those ladies need a little Honey in there life."

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Luis Renova said:
baby steps dude!
For example, stop drinking your calories. Water, water, water, beer, water, water, water is my fluid intake and it has helped! Slow down considerably on the sweets and fried foods. Im not saying give them up! just be aware of how much you have had and keep your self in check.
If you do drink beer, make it a dark one.
Dude I'm old. Testosterone is so low my P is starting to look like a V. When I was on my 20's my arbs got bigger from pleasuring myself four times a day. Now my guy grows every time I drink a beer. The only calories I can drink are alcohol.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I figure I'm fit enough.
tyvy8aze.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
Boot camp/crossfit style work outs are way better for action shooters than traditional weight training. I started crossfit last month and it's no joke I like it though the core out style training makes you feel stronger all over and more flexible. I work on my feet for 12 hour shifts and find my legs and feet aren't tired at the end of the day. Anything is better than nothing..

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
R.Pullicar.jr said:
Boot camp/crossfit style work outs are way better for action shooters than traditional weight training. I started crossfit last month and it's no joke I like it though the core out style training makes you feel stronger all over and more flexible. I work on my feet for 12 hour shifts and find my legs and feet aren't tired at the end of the day. Anything is better than nothing..
Crossfit does look like fun. Plus it's fun to make fun of.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
Crossfit does look like fun. Plus it's fun to make fun of. Yeah I know people that talk about it a lot and I know a lot of people that trash it but most of them wouldn't last through one workout if they did it at comp weight. It's just another tool to make us better shooters. I see several top shooters and personal defense teachers promoting it on social media JJ Racaza and Rob Pincus being good examples.

Latest posts