New reloader help

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
The abbreviations for ordering bullets and finding load data seem to be inconsistent and confusing. Is "125 GR. LCN " consistent with 125 gr round nose? Does the bullet shape change the load data appreciably?

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
Ordered my press and other equipment. Picked up first components (small pistol primers - all of the the store had). Just need to pick out bullet and powder.

One question has popped up - is military brass any different than other brass for 9mm? Are primers crimped or is that just a rifle thing? Shooting local matches and occasionally a major, is there any reason for me to sort brass beyond making sure all is 9mm and in good condition?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
9mm NATO brass is crimped. You can tell its 9mm NATO if it has a + sign inside a circle on the headstamp. I inspect my brass twice before loading.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Get rid of it. You could save enough of it to work on eliminating the crimp, but it would take a while. Better to toss it in the recycle bucket.

Zekernst

H & H
okorpheus said:
The abbreviations for ordering bullets and finding load data seem to be inconsistent and confusing. Is "125 GR. LCN " consistent with 125 gr round nose? Does the bullet shape change the load data appreciably?
It could change the seating depth, just watch the recommended COAL, it will keep you from getting pressure spikes.

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the help. I received all my tools and have my press set up. Getting some bullets brought to me at the USPSA match at USSA next week. Just need to find powder and I'm good to go. I'm getting 147 gr lead bullets, just looking for someplace to get some WSF. Good pairing?

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
I use wst with my 9mm lead bullets. Never tried wsf

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
ZEKE, I didn't realize who you were the other day when I was in H&H looking for some componets. Next time I will try to introduce myself.

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
May have to look at wst too then. I just saw the data for a WSF load at data.hornady.com

okorpheus

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw a load using universal in a Lyman manual I considered as well.

Zekernst

H & H
Terrell (STEAK) said:
ZEKE, I didn't realize who you were the other day when I was in H&H looking for some componets. Next time I will try to introduce myself.
It's always nice to meet a boomer fan! glad to help in any way I can to grow the shooting sports. Had a great class this morning, everybody loaded up 10 rounds of 9mm and then we went out and shot em thru my m&p pro. Good times were had by all!

Zekernst

H & H
Everybody loads on a load tray on a single stage press and we inspect each load as its built. I want to instill a little confidence in them.

Latest posts