New old kid on the block from gun friendly North Alabama

Hello everybody, they say you're as old as you feel, but I'm not even close to that age yet. I may have an old body that broke down 14 years ago, but I still love to shoot. Sometimes that's about all I can do. Been shooting since I was 4 years old. My dad was a WWII veteran and he started training me and my brother shooting, hunting, and respect for other people's property as soon as we could hold up a .22 rifle. He didn't turn us loose with a gun until he was sure we were responsible enough to be turned loose with one. He drilled it in our heads what you do and don't do with a firearm. All I can say is that he did us right. When you start training young like that, you don't forget it. Anyway, enough about me, I'm glad to be on the forum with y'all.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Welcome to the fanatic family here @Southern Shooter

Training like that stays with you for sure. Your dad sounds like an awesome guy, and a great American.

I am looking forward to seeing you around the forum - and learning about those pistols in your avatar.

Welcome to the fanatic family here @Southern Shooter

Training like that stays with you for sure. Your dad sounds like an awesome guy, and a great American.

I am looking forward to seeing you around the forum - and learning about those pistols in your avatar.
Thanks for the nice welcome Blackbeard and Turkey, I really appreciate it. Yeah, my dad was the best. I lost him in Dec. 1980, and I sure miss him. My first 1911 was a Colt Mark IV Series 70 Government Model. I bought it new around 1981. It was a fine shooter unless you tried to let her rip. It would jam on the last round every time you did that. It was the second semi-auto pistol I had ever bought, my first being a Model 39 S&W. The Model 39 never failed me a single time regardless of how I shot it. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the Colt, so I took it back to the gun store and told the owner about it jamming and he said it just needed to be throated out and sent me to a gunsmith to get it done. I got it back about a week later and it still done the same thing. Since that was only the second semi-auto I had ever owned I thought there was something wrong with it. I didn't know anything about breaking it in or trying a different magazine back then because I was used to revolvers and the Model 39 had never missed a lick. I went back to a 357 Magnum after that. I got rid of everything but a shotgun I worked all summer for and bought when I was around 12 years old, and my .22 Browning my dad bought me in 1962. Since I started back collecting several years back, I have several semi-autos and several revolvers. My two 1911's are the Remington R1 I bought soon after Remington started making them again. It's a great shooter and hasn't failed at all. It eats everything I feed it with no problem. My other one is a TISAS Service model I bought new before Christmas last year. I haven't even shot it yet. I put a new set of grips I've had for several years on it. Me and my shooting buddy are going shooting tomorrow and I'm going to try it out. He bought a new TISAS US Army model last fall and it shot great. They are made in Turkey and sold by SDS Imports in Knoxville, TN. They are all steel with a hammer forged frame, slide, and barrel. They seem to be a well made pistol. I'll find out how mine is tomorrow.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the nice welcome Blackbeard and Turkey, I really appreciate it. Yeah, my dad was the best. I lost him in Dec. 1980, and I sure miss him. My first 1911 was a Colt Mark IV Series 70 Government Model. I bought it new around 1981. It was a fine shooter unless you tried to let her rip. It would jam on the last round every time you did that. It was the second semi-auto pistol I had ever bought, my first being a Model 39 S&W. The Model 39 never failed me a single time regardless of how I shot it. Needless to say, I was disappointed with the Colt, so I took it back to the gun store and told the owner about it jamming and he said it just needed to be throated out and sent me to a gunsmith to get it done. I got it back about a week later and it still done the same thing. Since that was only the second semi-auto I had ever owned I thought there was something wrong with it. I didn't know anything about breaking it in or trying a different magazine back then because I was used to revolvers and the Model 39 had never missed a lick. I went back to a 357 Magnum after that. I got rid of everything but a shotgun I worked all summer for and bought when I was around 12 years old, and my .22 Browning my dad bought me in 1962. Since I started back collecting several years back, I have several semi-autos and several revolvers. My two 1911's are the Remington R1 I bought soon after Remington started making them again. It's a great shooter and hasn't failed at all. It eats everything I feed it with no problem. My other one is a TISAS Service model I bought new before Christmas last year. I haven't even shot it yet. I put a new set of grips I've had for several years on it. Me and my shooting buddy are going shooting tomorrow and I'm going to try it out. He bought a new TISAS US Army model last fall and it shot great. They are made in Turkey and sold by SDS Imports in Knoxville, TN. They are all steel with a hammer forged frame, slide, and barrel. They seem to be a well made pistol. I'll find out how mine is tomorrow.
Welcome to the show. Very glad to have you. Sounds like you've had quite a life, and a terrific dad. Enjoy your time here, and I'm hoping you like your Tisas as much as I like mine.

Welcome to the show. Very glad to have you. Sounds like you've had quite a life, and a terrific dad. Enjoy your time here, and I'm hoping you like your Tisas as much as I like mine.
Thanks everyone for the kind welcome. I took my Tisas to the range and shot it today and I have zero complaints. It ran like it should. The only thing I didn't like was all my fault. I pushed my grip too hard and got hammer bit. I've shot a lot of 1911's and that was the first time I've been bit. I can't complain since it was my fault. My shooting partner brought a new Tisas Service Special with him. He had already bought the US Army model last November and it ran flawlessly. I really like them, they are a well built pistol at a very reasonable price.

Welcome to 1911 Fanatics from North Central Oklahoma, who is currently wintering in Gulf Shores Alabama.
Thanks, I hope you are having good weather down there. We just came out of an eight day, completely iced over event with some of the coldest days and nights that I haven't saw since the early 90's up here in North Alabama. We managed to weather the ice storm OK though. I just hate to see my next utility bill since several of those days my heat pump never shut off. But we stayed warm and didn't encounter any cold weather related problems. Hope you enjoy yourself while you're down there.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hello everybody, they say you're as old as you feel, but I'm not even close to that age yet. I may have an old body that broke down 14 years ago, but I still love to shoot. Sometimes that's about all I can do. Been shooting since I was 4 years old. My dad was a WWII veteran and he started training me and my brother shooting, hunting, and respect for other people's property as soon as we could hold up a .22 rifle. He didn't turn us loose with a gun until he was sure we were responsible enough to be turned loose with one. He drilled it in our heads what you do and don't do with a firearm. All I can say is that he did us right. When you start training young like that, you don't forget it. Anyway, enough about me, I'm glad to be on the forum with y'all.
Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

dennishoddy

Thanks, I hope you are having good weather down there. We just came out of an eight day, completely iced over event with some of the coldest days and nights that I haven't saw since the early 90's up here in North Alabama. We managed to weather the ice storm OK though. I just hate to see my next utility bill since several of those days my heat pump never shut off. But we stayed warm and didn't encounter any cold weather related problems. Hope you enjoy yourself while you're down there.
It could be warmer, but it's still twice as warm as Northern Oklahoma this time of year. Having a great time so far.