New Lee Pro 4000 press

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
I have one of the new presses and am compiling evaluations to share. I would characterize the press as a 4 station version of the Pro1000 without the primer jam issues. It incorporates lessons learned from the other models. What seems essential to me is addition of Lee's case feeder with collator top, so my right hand can stay on the press handle. My older style primer dispensers don't seem very compatible but can be made to work. I ordered one of the new versions and think that will work best. I wanted to try one anyway.

copdills

Well-Known Fanatic
congrats on your purchase , keep us informed on your progress with this press and show somw pics

copdills

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
what calipers do you load
I believe you mean calibers. I initially have gotten the .357 shellplate (#1), intending to load my 38 Special for SASS. If I do other cartridges, I will need to purchase a shell plate and breech lock adapters for the dies.

Note that this press and its shell plate selection only supports handgun and small rifle. That means a shorter stroke and lighter construction (which is good).

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the update. I saw a video of the press over the weekend and wondered how it was working for you.

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Thanks for the update. I saw a video of the press over the weekend and wondered how it was working for you.
The case feeder assy arrives today or tomorrow, so I will report after trying the full rig the way I had intended to run it for volume. I did have to rig a way to catch ejected rounds. I have corresponded with Inline Fabrications about a raised mount, to include a provision for hanging a catch bin on the right and bullet bin on the left. They offer a mount for the Pro4000 but only show the high model. I want their junior that aligns with the edge of the bench to let the primer catcher hang rather than require a hole in the bench. I have no drawers that would get blocked by an overhang.

at_liberty

Active Fanatic
Did well with the case feeder loading 150 rounds of cowboy 38 Special and would urge anyone to consider it standard equipment, so the right hand stays on the handle and one is focused on priming and bullet placement on the other side. Still working on adjustments and my technique with the new generation primer dispenser. I had no problems with the older design on my turret. I had to improvise a way to hang a bin to catch completed rounds. A high mount should provide an accessory for that purpose. I also have a dropped-primer catcher bin but expect that need to go away, depending on me.

Latest posts