New IDPA rule book

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I might be the only one on this forum that cares, but has anyone had a chance to look at the new rules? I like most of the changes. Cover is defined by forward fault lines, no more 50% upper/lower judgment call. Penalties are now 1 second per point down and you can reload anywhere as long as your not exposed to unengaged targets. PCC is an optional division at all match levels which will be nice, but I think they still should have added carry optics as a division. IDPA may change their rules a lot but at least that means they are trying to better their sport

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've never shot a match unfortunately. So I don't follow. but somebody told me they increased the penalty for down 1 to be +1 second rather then only +.5 seconds. I keep seeing ridiculous posts about fault lines that aren't useable too. That added penalty is going to kill any speed. You can't afford to get and +.5 second now.

I still think trying to pretend you're in a self defense situation is a bit ridiculous as a sport rather then just focusing on shooting faster and accurately using your self defense gun.

In a real works self defense situation my first instinct will always be to retreat fast AF. They never do that in IDPA.

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Feegee Matlock said:
I had thought about trying a match.
Try it you might like it, it's definitely helped me become a more accurate shooter. Just don't go into it expecting be able to shoot it like USPSA like a lot of USPSA shooters do and get pissed off about it.

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
I've never shot a match unfortunately. So I don't follow. but somebody told me they increased the penalty for down 1 to be +1 second rather then only +.5 seconds. I keep seeing ridiculous posts about fault lines that aren't useable too. That added penalty is going to kill any speed. You can't afford to get and +.5 second now.

I still think trying to pretend you're in a self defense situation is a bit ridiculous as a sport rather then just focusing on shooting faster and accurately using your self defense gun.

In a real works self defense situation my first instinct will always be to retreat fast AF. They never do that in IDPA.
Have yet to shoot a match under the new rules yet but I don't see what all the fuss about the fault lines is about it should work just like it does in USPSA with a fault line coming from a barricade.

As far as the points down it will kill some people's speed that can't shoot fast and accurate. Since it is a defensive shooting sport the idea is to force you to be accountable for every round that leaves the chamber. I've seen it all too many times in USPSA where you can miss fast enough and still win a stage, you can't do that in IDPA especially now. In almost every major IDPA match I've seen the match winner is the fastest and most accurate.

Not trying to call you out or anything, but not sure how you can say what IDPA never does but have never shot a match? I've shot plenty of stages where I was retreating, but that's not always an option in all self defense situations.

IDPA is different than USPSA if it wasn't it would just be USPSA and then what would we have to argue about?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Michael Harrell said:
Try it you might like it, it's definitely helped me become a more accurate shooter. Just don't go into it expecting be able to shoot it like USPSA like a lot of USPSA shooters do and get pissed off about it.
I shot a cool little 3 stage deal the guys up in WI do on Wednesday nights in the summer. They shoot kne stafe of each IDPA, USPSA, and SCSA. Lots of fun. It was the first and thus far only IDPA stage I've shot. The hardest part was remembering all the things I couldn't do. Reload before moving, tactical sequence, cover, etc. It felt kinda like the opposite of the freestyle nature of USPSA and 3-gun. My impression was that I'd never remember to do all that stuff a d remember how to properly pull the trigger unde the stress of trying to save my own or my families life. I guess they're thinking is that if you train train train all that stuff becomes subconscious thought. I dunno to me it felt very forced because like I said before if the targets were shooting back my flight then fight instinct would be very strong.

Jcawthon

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't mind trying some IDPA out just to say I did and getting a little more exposure to other areas of the sport. whats a good OK match to try out? I have looked at the schedule, just figured someone who shoots them could tell me a good one to try.

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I started in USPSA but switched to IDPA a couple years ago when all the Tulsa area matches on Saturday left. It does take a little while to get used to a few more rules for sure, but a lot of your above rule complaints have changed with the new book. The hardest thing to get used to coming from USPSA is shooting till your empty, I guess the theory is your not going to drop a half used mag in a gunfight just cause your moving, if you can conquer that the rest is easy.

If you're in the Tulsa area or don't mind the drive Jack's match at Oil Capital and Pete's match at USSA are both good. Not sure where you're from though

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
Michael Harrell said:
I started in USPSA but switched to IDPA a couple years ago when all the Tulsa area matches on Saturday left. It does take a little while to get used to a few more rules for sure, but a lot of your above rule complaints have changed with the new book. The hardest thing to get used to coming from USPSA is shooting till your empty, I guess the theory is your not going to drop a half used mag in a gunfight just cause your moving, if you can conquer that the rest is easy.

If you're in the Tulsa area or don't mind the drive Jack's match at Oil Capital and Pete's match at USSA are both good. Not sure where you're from though
No dumping rounds though! FTDR

Latest posts