New Frontier Armory LW-15 GENII?

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone have any experence this these polymer lowers? I just ordered a complete lower with stock for $110. For that price I'll give it a chance.

Thanks,
Jeff

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I am not sure how well they handle stress over time. Poly-anything is prone to cracking/warping over time that metal counterparts don't experience.

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a friend that has one of the plum crazy lowers with a few thousand rnds through it and nothing has happened yet, He purposely has been abusing it . They're probably the same composite.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I don't hear of cracking issues with Glock, Springfield, SCAR, most Taurus's, Kahr and others. Plastic are a good substitute if the engineer does there homework.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
My father-in-law has a NFA lower, I believe, but he hasn't assembled it all together yet.

They bought out Plum Crazy, no?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
Well I don't hear of cracking issues with Glock, Springfield, SCAR, most Taurus's, Kahr and others. Plastic are a good substitute if the engineer does there homework.

You are definitely correct.

However, I would only use a poly-lower for an AR for range time/plinking. I have done things with my M4 that i don't think a poly frame would have taken.

I got stuck in a Humvee once after an IED smoked the vehicle. I had to use my steel framed M9 to bash one of the door latches open. I wouldn't and couldn't have done that with a Glock or XD. I do concede that is not normal use, though.

If you are comfortable with it, by all means, don't let my two cents stop you. :mrgreen:

craigp

Well-Known Fanatic
Until someone has run 5000 rounds through one it's pretty hard to speculate on how well a polymer lower will hold up. Engineered plastics aren't the same as the typical polystyrene toy plastics. Actually some engineered plastics are less susceptible to fatigue than some metals and also resist distortion due to thermal expansion and contraction. Programs such as Solid Works can model objects and simulate stresses to help an engineer determine weak points in a design. I've seen so many threads on this topic pop up and more than half the posts are pure speculation on how plastics won't hold up. Speculation isn't really worth much as it is little more than just an opinion. Most originators are looking for actual experience with a product in order to gain knowledge. So far of those who actually have one of these lowers and have used it, the general concensus is they liked what they got for the price.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
wait for a PSA $49. sale on lowers.

they just had a $49. sale on lower MOE parts kits. sale of the day.

subscribe for emails for the sale of the day.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Thought I would throw this in the soup... Aluminum (most commonly used metal for AR lowers) bends and dents. I have a fancy aluminum laptop with dents and warps in it while my wife's plastic one is structurally sound after equal or greater abuse.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
A reason I won't own a plastic AR lower even after what I said about plastic. All the other weapons like the SCAR were designed to be plastic. Not the AR. I strongly feel that this is a mistake. In my opinion, area do to fail in plastic are:
*Receiver for stock - can't see that taking any real impact force
*Hammer stop - most plastics don't handle impact well over time
*Front take down pin hole - I believe this pin see more abuse than the rear. I feel this will loosen faster over time do to this extra abuse

Just my opinion.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Thought I would throw this in the soup... Aluminum (most commonly used metal for AR lowers) bends and dents. I have a fancy aluminum laptop with dents and warps in it while my wife's plastic one is structurally sound after equal or greater abuse.

It's a little different from the perspective of a tactical rifle. The plastic telescoping stock or the plastic end of a fixed buttstock takes a hell of a beating when doing individual movement techniques. However, under strenuous conditions, both the plastic AND metal can get damaged. But, I don't think it's a coincidence we use plastic covers for metal foregrip rails.

I'm not trying to start a materials argument. If you prefer or trust the polymer, go right ahead. This is merely my opinion, I am not trying to pass it off as fact. The first post I made was an argument that's been made a thousand times on this same subject, and the rebuttal identical. This is not to start a flame war, I am not taking a side, just airing my preference.

Latest posts