New Build (AR)

AllAmericanBP

Fanatic
Fellow shooters, looking for some advice. Starting a new project build for upcoming matches. Trying to start out slow (budgeting) on a monthly basis. Already ordered a stripped lower and should be here soon. I know there are thousands of combinations out there to choose from and it is really overwhelming. I have a rock river to use until I have a match AR to use. Any advice on where to start?

Butt stocks?
Uppers?

Looking at the ACE skeleton for the butt stock.
Really like the Stag 3G and the BCM uppers.
Any thoughts on the CMC triggers?

Sorry for the rambling but I just do not want to start this build and hate it at the end. Thanks a bunch.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Ace stock, Magpul MOE, A2, keep it simple and fixed

This barrel: www.makereadyproshop.com/satern-18-ss-double-fluted-lightweight-3gun-barrel/

AR Trigger adjuster
Cut the spur off the hammer

This firing pin: http://firingpins.com/firing-pins/f-pins/rifles/ar-15-firing-pins/firing-pin-ar-15-titanium

Aero Precision upper and lower

SLR Sentry 7 clamp on gas block

JP low mass carrier and buffer

BAD-ASS Ambi Safety

DPMS lower parts kit

Any decent bolt

LaRue A-Peg grip

ALG Defense handguard

Muzzle device of your choice

dennishoddy

Mitch Gibson said:
Ace stock, Magpul MOE, A2, keep it simple and fixed

This barrel: www.makereadyproshop.com/satern-18-ss-double-fluted-lightweight-3gun-barrel/

AR Trigger adjuster
Cut the spur off the hammer

This firing pin: http://firingpins.com/firing-pins/f-pins/rifles/ar-15-firing-pins/firing-pin-ar-15-titanium

Aero Precision upper and lower

SLR Sentry 7 clamp on gas block

JP low mass carrier and buffer

BAD-ASS Ambi Safety

DPMS lower parts kit

Any decent bolt

LaRue A-Peg grip

ALG Defense handguard

Muzzle device of your choice
You forgot the the BoomerShooter lower would put it into the stratosphere.

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
You need to buy a larue barrel. They are on sale right now for 225. You will not find a barrel that shoots this good for this price I have two of em now. Both shoot half MOA with match ammo. They have their trigger on sale also. Don't have any experience with it but it is supposedly just like a giessele SSA on sale now for half price. All that other stuff is just personal preference. It's the barrel and trigger that make or break the rifle Imo. Good move getting your lower before that **** gets elected.

dfinan

Well-Known Fanatic
If you decide to put a comp on it, the Miculek comp is hard to beat for the price and effectiveness. The only real downside is that it is unusually loud.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
You'll get a ton of different opinions, but in your research you'll notice there are a handful of common denominators when it comes to quality brands that have been tested and vetted by the shooting community.

Decide what pattern of rifle you want up front. Carbine? Full on A2 style? Or something in-between? This will help narrow the field of choices.

Personally I like a fixed stock and rifle length gas on 18in barrel. Ace stocks add a cool factor and reduce weight. But can lend to a front heavy rifle.

If there's one part you spend a little extra on, make it the barrel. Nordic makes good stuff. But so do the other companies mentioned above.

AllAmericanBP

Fanatic
Thanks for all the fast replies. I will get started doing the research. Are most of the lower parts kits the same? If they are mil-spec, is that all that matters or does the quality of the kit depend on the brand. I notice that all the companies sell them but they all look like the same quality and parts.

dfinan

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Try to get a lower parts kit without the trigger group, cause I guarantee you'll be replacing it anyway.
This is very important, I have seen some of the mil spec triggers installed and they work and thats about all that can be said. I went with the JP EZ trigger in mine, and when tuned have a nice 3.5# pull with no creep or over-travel and a short reset. I was very impressed at how well it worked.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
Tony G said:
You need to buy a larue barrel. They are on sale right now for 225. You will not find a barrel that shoots this good for this price I have two of em now. Both shoot half MOA with match ammo. They have their trigger on sale also. Don't have any experience with it but it is supposedly just like a giessele SSA on sale now for half price. All that other stuff is just personal preference. It's the barrel and trigger that make or break the rifle Imo. Good move getting your lower before that **** gets elected.
If he's half the asshat I've heard........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

AllAmericanBP

Fanatic
@ dfinan , thanks for the info. I am about to order the lower parts kit and am looking at the CNC trigger setup. Anyone for or against CNC triggers? Texas native so trying to support the local folks.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I have the flat CMC trigger.
It's a really nice trigger with a crisp 3.5lb pull. If it were a regular curved trigger, I would have no gripes.
I just can't get used to the flat trigger myself so I'm going to sell it and go back to a curved trigger.

DanB

Active Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I have the flat CMC trigger.
It's a really nice trigger with a crisp 3.5lb pull. If it were a regular curved trigger, I would have no gripes.
I just can't get used to the flat trigger myself so I'm going to sell it and go back to a curved trigger.
I'm shooting the flat as well. No complaints. My suggestion, and it isn't original but holds true....go to matches and inquire about trigger groups. Most folks I've met are more than willing to fill you in and let you try the set up. Much cheaper than buying just to try a set up. While I like the miculeck comp, I found the rolling thunder to be better and more effective on my 18" set up....just my thoughts. Good luck and enjoy the build!

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk

dfinan

Well-Known Fanatic
I originally got a CMC trigger and it didnt it fit the Magtec lightweight lower I went with, so had to switch to the JP EZ.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
MikeF said:
You'll get a ton of different opinions, but in your research you'll notice there are a handful of common denominators when it comes to quality brands that have been tested and vetted by the shooting community.

Decide what pattern of rifle you want up front. Carbine? Full on A2 style? Or something in-between? This will help narrow the field of choices.

Personally I like a fixed stock and rifle length gas on 18in barrel. Ace stocks add a cool factor and reduce weight. But can lend to a front heavy rifle.

If there's one part you spend a little extra on, make it the barrel. Nordic makes good stuff. But so do the other companies mentioned above.
Consider the balance of the rifle when you are building it. I have a heavy barrel up front with a heavy comp, and the rifle was pretty front heavy at first because I had a light weight stock on the gun. Just didn't like the way it swung. Swapped out the stock for a MagPul PRS, which are known to be a bit heavy, and it balanced the rifle out. She swings much more naturally now.

Something else to consider when building is overall weight. Do you want a 6lb rifle, or a 10+lb rifle? Lighter rifles will swing faster and transition to targets faster, but a heavier rifle will recoil less, and be steadier on target. Mine is about 11 1/2 lbs unloaded. 1st reaction I almost always get when I hand it to an RO so I can load another gun is, "man that's heavy". But when you shoulder the rifle, it doesn't feel as heavy, because it's balanced.

Add the weight to my tuned low mass operating system, and the SJC Titan comp, and my rifle doesn't move when I shoot it. That extra weight soaks up a lot of recoil.

Squid

Well-Known Fanatic
cajunautoxer said:
If he's half the asshat I've heard........
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
If I didn't buy things from people that I didn't like or thought were assholes I'd never be able to buy anything. I bet Mark larue doesn't have a transgender bathroom policy either.

WaynerAg03

Fanatic
How does the barrel mentioned above (This barrel: www.makereadyproshop.com/satern-18-ss-double-fluted-lightweight-3gun-barrel/) compare to the Nordic 18" barrel?

shamrock

New Fanatic
AllAmericanBP said:
Thanks for all the fast replies. I will get started doing the research. Are most of the lower parts kits the same? If they are mil-spec, is that all that matters or does the quality of the kit depend on the brand. I notice that all the companies sell them but they all look like the same quality and parts.
I've used a couple of the CMMG lower parts kits and have no complaints. You can get them with or without a trigger and grip. You can usually find them at Cabelas also.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
WaynerAg03 said:
How does the barrel mentioned above (This barrel: www.makereadyproshop.com/satern-18-ss-double-fluted-lightweight-3gun-barrel/) compare to the Nordic 18" barrel?
Both are very high quality products. The Satern is lighter by like 7oz. Make ready sells both as well.

I like Nordic personally.