New and looking to move to SC

abean4187

New Fanatic
Hi everyone, I currently live in Maryland and am looking to move to South Carolina. Move won?t be for at least a year but I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on places to live.

I kind of have it narrowed down to Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston with myself leaning towards the Greenville and Columbia areas.

Also, I?m a mechanical engineer so having some job prospects would be nice as well.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
Charleston. Can't beat it. Beaches are close, and Boeing is close for you as well. Lots of engineering jobs open at Boeing all the time.

I've lived in Columbia, and wouldn't trade it for charleston ever. So much to do and so much to see. Always something going on.

flareback

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome,
If you don't like the beach then Greenville is nice. I'm not sure what sort of jobs there are for Mechanical Engineers but BMW is here.

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Is your preference for engineering jobs to be at an end user or at a multi-discipline firm. If the latter, Greenville is your place. Lots of choices for employers here.

abean4187

New Fanatic
Thanks for the suggestions.

I don?t really like the beach and currently I am working at a research and development job for a medical company. I love designing stuff with a little bit of manufacturing and quality mixed in so I would like to keep doing that in my career.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Sir : First off...Welcome to the Forum. Glad to see you are making the move South...You will never regret it...

There are 2 different things to think about when looking at Greenville and Charleston.

Greenville has 4 seasons and gets some snow...

Charleston has 3 seasons...
1) Cold - below 60

2) Kind of hot and muggy - Below 85 and hum. at 90%

3) Hot - 90 + and Humidity at 100 %

It is + 3 about 60 % of the time...

But, I live in Charleston and you could not drive me away...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Stevee

ramsey88

Well-Known Fanatic
There are some big companies here in Greenville. 3M, GE, BMW, and Michelin to name a few. I don't go to Columbia very much so I can't comment on it, but I've lived in Greenville for most of my life and its not bad. Of course, if I had the means I'd be in Norfolk, Va but that's another story. Good luck with your decision and your move!

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome. I live in the Greenville area and really enjoy it. There are lots of nice places to live that are within a short commute of Greenville.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
dont forget miliken reasearch in spartanburg.

i dont think we are supposed to be effected, up here, when the water rises. :lol: :shock:

andyb

Active Fanatic
ramsey88 said:
There are some big companies here in Greenville. 3M, GE, BMW, and Michelin to name a few. I don't go to Columbia very much so I can't comment on it, but I've lived in Greenville for most of my life and its not bad. Of course, if I had the means I'd be in Norfolk, Va but that's another story. Good luck with your decision and your move!

And don't forget Milliken also in the upstate.

Latest posts