Nervous to Fit an XACT fit Kart Barrel...

Endoguy

Fanatic
Hello:
Long time 1911 user, But have never fit a KART barrel and am somewhat nervous about doing this unsupervised...I want to do it and have read the instructions and understand them, Even bought the APEX 1911 JIG and File along with the KART fitting kit. Still a bit nervous about starting and ruining a barrel.
Any one local to me in the south Atlanta, GA area?

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Just follow the instructions with the Kart Fitting Kit. Go slow and a blue Sharpie is your friend.
With Fred's instructions the Apex jig is redundant.

Endoguy

Fanatic
I was worried about my filing skills and getting everything straight on the hood.
The seating of the lugs is straightforward, and once I get it, to lock up and sit equally down on the lower lugs. Everything else is straightforward, 0.003 clearance on the sides and 0.001 at the back of the hood.
Kart says that the lock-up surfaces are the Match bushing, top lugs, and feet or bottom lugs.
Did I miss anything? The barrel is for my 9mm commander that will be my EDC CCW.

Endoguy

Fanatic
I was worried about my filing skills and getting everything straight on the hood.
The seating of the lugs is straightforward, and once I get it, to lock up and sit equally down on the lower lugs. Everything else is straightforward, 0.003 clearance on the sides and 0.001 at the back of the hood.
Kart says that the lock-up surfaces are the Match bushing, top lugs, and feet or bottom lugs.
Did I miss anything? The barrel is for my 9mm commander that will be my EDC CCW.

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
You seem to have it. You are not filing the barrel lugs. Go REALLY slow on the pads
Does the kit still come with the fitting bushing? Barrel bushing with a scalloped flange?

Endoguy

Fanatic
You seem to have it. You are not filing the barrel lugs. Go REALLY slow on the pads
Does the kit still come with the fitting bushing? Barrel bushing with a scalloped flange?
Yes, I purchased the fitting bushing, lug file, barrel foot jig to index the barrel properly while fitting the hood. And the 0.003 feeler gauge for the sides of the hood.
I just don't know where to find a 0.001 feeler gauge...
The instructions just say to shorten it until the hood doesn't drag and the 0.003 feeler gauge. Won't fit.

rmac

Active Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Yes, I purchased the fitting bushing, lug file, barrel foot jig to index the barrel properly while fitting the hood. And the 0.003 feeler gauge for the sides of the hood.
I just don't know where to find a 0.001 feeler gauge...
The instructions just say to shorten it until the hood doesn't drag and the 0.003 feeler gauge. Won't fit.
Just use the Sharpie on the rear of the hood. Always wipe it off after checking and reapply sparingly. The Sharpie ink thickness can build up quickly.
When filing the pads you will think that it is not allowing the radial lugs to engage quickly enough and take an extra pass or so with the file, don't.
When the lugs are almost fitted it happens quickly.
My preference is to leave the slide just a bit sticky when racking. Then dry fire while racking the slide to cock the hammer 200-300 times followed by shooting a couple of hundred rounds. If still slightly sticky when racking make a couple of light passes on each pad. Just keep them level.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like you will be fine. Go slow, measure often, use the sharpie everytime, and it will turn out great.
Not local to you at all, sorry.
Please post up progress pics if you would be so kind.

Endoguy

Fanatic
I ordered the Brownell's barrel fitting block because the KART block allowed a lot of barrel movement in the slide.

Endoguy

Fanatic
I got the block in, but have been to busy to re-measure the barrel and alise and start fitting.
My MA quit, and I am hiring and needing to train another.
But when I finish, I will report back; having the proper quality tools and gages helps with confidence.

Latest posts