Neighbor's Nightmare

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
A friend down my road bought a new revolver not long ago. He had hunted a few times but sure not a gun nut or shooter, well he bought a Taurus 357 which I did comment on his experience there before It locked up the 1st day, he finally sent it back after trying to return it and got no, then sell or trade in and told $100 credit or sale, he said they told him they could not even say as a guess when he could expect it back repaired, He now says he will use this time to try to get ammo for it as he has got very little amounts and could not understand why I would not sell him any as I told him no nor will I sell reloads. Why he did all this after told not to still defies sanity I told him to let it go and write off as a lesson learned hard way, so would not listen paid price and waited a tad to late to act all in one, we asked him would you ever trust this for your safety, "What an answer he gave : well it did work some times." He said finally he wished he had listened to others, but admitted waited to late, the action on it is totally locked up again 2 nd time now, all he shot was factory RP ammo. Did not even get a box through it. He took it back where he bought it and was offered $100 in trade in or cash to another pistol which just added fuel to the fire in him, a we told you so added more.

Last edited:

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
taurus is supposed to have gotten better at quality control, but I still wouldn't buy 1. Found it's always better to spend a little more on a good brand name, costs more money but more reliable.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We told him several of us did so the same thing but as a penny pincher he refused to go with quality, now he has neither just a very bad memory of what he did, we told him when he gets it back to get rid of it ASAP and get a quality trade in LE revolver, he even spent $$$ of dirt work for a berm in his yard and got to shoot less that 1 box there total. Same as his boat he used 2 times only.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd learn how to disassemble it , possibly through youtube . May be some debris in action .Wont take much . I have a S&W revolver that was real rough action , found it full of crud .Treat this as a learning experience .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
As disgusted as he is fed up is better, he sent it back to Taurus with a bad letter with it he is really upset with himself for getting it, then no ammo all after we told him what to do and act right then which he did nothing of the sort.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Saw neighbor last night described here with the Taurus, he has not had any reply from and contacts from them at all nothing! Not even a call nor email worked to contact. Well he got what he paid for totally.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I may be in a minority, but in the past, I've owned six Taurus pistols..5 of the 6 were flawless in use.
I purchased most of them in the 80's..a mod 85 (.38 revolver) a mod.66 (.357 rev.) a mod 58 (380 auto)
a mod 441 (44 Spec. rev) and (2) mod 92 's (9mm auto).. bought the 2nd 92 as it was cheap & liked my older 92 a lot.
Last Taurus I bought , was a Mod. 94 (9 shot 22 rev.) it's the only pistol that gave me any problem. The problem ?
Dbl action trigger was so heavy my wife couldn't pull the trigger. Returned it to where purchased (Basspro) & they returned it to Taurus for me..
Since this was within a short time period from purchase. It was returned & trigger was better..
until after about 50 rds were fired & the firing pin fell out. Took it to my gunsmith & I learned the repair tech had left a pin out of the pistol
(pin that holds a spring & the firing pin in place)
They had to leave it out, as the pin passes from a hole in the frame on 1 side, & a hole in the side plate in the other side.
If installed in those holes, no way for it to fall out. As I had found the firing pin, my gunsmith found a small spring that'd work
& made a pin out of a piece of piano wire.. now, it was fixed.
Haven't had a problem with it since.. I did send an email tom Taurus , reporting what had happened, but never heard a word back from them..

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Should have added, through the years, I did sell off all my Taurus Revolvers..as finances allowed, most were replaced by S&W's in the same calibers.
S&W has the best factory triggers for revolvers, IMO..notably better than Taurus factory triggers. I still have my 92's & 58..both are fine pistols, in my experience..( both are copies of Berettas)

hipowr

Fanatic
I am never going to be a Taurus defender, but I have had a few over the years. If I were to be honest, only 1 Taurus I ever owned gave me a major problem. I had a few revolvers, all worked fine. There was a 65, a Tracker in .357, and a Tracker in .22. None of them ever gave me a problem. They may not have had the best triggers, they might not have been the most accurate guns I ever had, but they worked, and were not inaccurate either. I did have one of their 1911's which had Series 80 issues. Rather then deal with it I just moved it along. Recently, I picked up an 856, and a 692. The 856 was nice being basically a 6 shot j frame. I honestly found it to be a solid gun, cheap, and does everything I would expect a J frame size gun to do. After that, seeing the 3" 692, being in the market for a 9mm revolver, and loving anything with a 3" barrel, I grabbed it. I've put about 300 rounds through it thus far in .38, .357, and 9mm with no issues at all. I don't think I will be parting with either of these two current guns.

I like my Smith's better for sure. They are definitely more refined. The Tauruses though are cheaper, and they are working. I've quite honestly had more issues with Ruger revolvers then Taurus over the years. I have sold all my Ruger revolvers, and honestly have no intention of getting another one.

AJ

Maligator

Fanatic
Every manufacturer, guns or other things, usually make a dud here and there. But without good customer service I don't know how any of them expect to thrive and survive. If he would've bought a quality 1911 we wouldn't be having this conversation. Maybe he'll let you shoot at his berm until he figures it out.

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
It does not matter what gun you buy.... Get the equivalent of a Shop Manual.. Take it apart..put it together , take it apart again put it together till you know how to do it efficiently. clean it .. lube it properly.. Then take it out and run 100 rounds thru it as fast as you can load and pull the trigger.. Assuming your tactical tupperware will not melt? (You may have to ask the manufacturer first.. LOL) Let it cool off .. then run 500 rounds thru it.. allowing it to cool as necessary... If it runs 500 rounds without a hickup.. Carry it for self defense.. If it does not.. .. Get to work.. The odds of a $3000 gun passing this test might be higher than your average Taurus.. but they are not 100% .. Change something? .. Go out and run your 500 round test again.. (using all the magazines/speed loaders you carry or have).. You might do well to clean your weapons at the range and then run a couple magazines/Speedloaders thru them just to be sure they are reassembled right..

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been shooting for almost 50 years now. I've bought and sold many handguns in that time. Yes the ones I sold I'm sorry I did. I like almost any type of handgun, in all that time I have never even held a Taurus let all buy one. I was told to stay away from them , so I did. My favorites are the Colt 1911's series 70 of course and the
Smith & Wesson revolvers the older ones,
And it took me many years to come around to the polymer guns but I have and do favor the Glocks. Let's not for forget the Single actions also. Just recently I walking in to buy some mags for a Ruger 10/22 for my granddaughter and the guy saw me and went in the back and came out with a
S&W Model 19-3 Pinned and recessed snub nose 2 1/2 in. In near mint condition, said he just got it in. It came with the original box and paperwork.I didn't hesitate for a second. Yes I know the 4" is probably a better shooter but the snub has to cool factor. My granddaughter also loves it knowing it will be her's one day.

Attachments

• 17B4E68B-DAD7-4FDD-AE20-B1CA896D7E00.jpeg
    17B4E68B-DAD7-4FDD-AE20-B1CA896D7E00.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • AF053339-2906-4FD0-A5C2-B3E5D0C0B799.jpeg
    AF053339-2906-4FD0-A5C2-B3E5D0C0B799.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 16
  • D585AB7E-C430-46D0-AFAD-48BBFD527D4D.jpeg
    D585AB7E-C430-46D0-AFAD-48BBFD527D4D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 7D027664-A9E5-4F5A-A99C-39608631936C.jpeg
    7D027664-A9E5-4F5A-A99C-39608631936C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • B16561FC-80DD-4C4A-B27A-780F2814C293.jpeg
    B16561FC-80DD-4C4A-B27A-780F2814C293.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just me not a Taurus person here never have been when I got into LE they were not allowed in my Dept at all, I met one officer with an off duty Taurus yrs back and yes it was a dud, but he was not a gun type person at all, my neighbor is just plain sick with his purchase to be honest, his 1st handgun, also I shoot at my house also up to 800 yds if need be here. Taurus customer service did not give him any return time frame said they were understaffed and very busy, he is sick for not listening to us about his purchase and also no ammo available locally other than the $1 a round PP ammo, we told him do not shoot the Taurus if you get it back sell it instantly.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I suggested this am to my neighbor mentioned to call Taurus again so we did recording we will call you back as so busy now. So nothing no email contacts or anything, said to him just write it off as a bad learning experience and move on from it told him we could find him a used S&W when he is ready to get it then his what about ammo? Well your on your own there, all I know of for sale is some 40 cal reloads a loader has here locally, with the election coming looking for any ammo and not a reloader is almost not going to happen around here. I do have one friend who saw the light and recently bought a Dillion thankfully. He was serious and not just talking of it.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just came home from Academy never seen the firearm dept that low ever, a few S&W Shields was it and few 22 rf, ammo22rf, 25 & 32 auto was all handgun they had, Bet it gets worse not better, they did have some rifle powder way over priced, no primers seen. Much worse than Obie time.
Shot shells in bird shot few there only. Tents and clay targets filling the handgun ammo section now!

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
In 50 years of buying guns I have bought a few factory defective pistols. In each case I sent it to the manufacturer and they made is as good as expected or better and they usually did it pretty fast.

I would think any manufacturer, particularly a large manufacturer of mediocre products like Taurus would use the individual opportunity to go through the gun and re-deliver It perfect. That is how you build your brand.

Personally, I have never bought / would never buy a Taurus but It is hard to imagine That if you returned a defective gun To the the factory that they would not make it work perfect or replace it......just as a matter of pride

I have a Kel Tec P32 that I gave to my wife for cayotes when she's hiking. She stuffed it into her daypack and forgot about it until it rusted solid.

I sent it to Kel Tec and I said......this is MY FAULT, Please repair it, I will pay what it costs.........they supplied a new frame, cleaned it better than new and returned it post paid AND perfect AS NEW and REFUSED TO TAKE ANY MONEY DESPITE my insistance. That is how you build your brand!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Who knows what will happen with this revolver all we do know is they got it and the only time we got past the recording they could not give any guess on return time frames. As stated my neighbor is just plain sick of it mad at himself big time.

Jennifers

Fanatic
Had a number of Taurus revolvers, all were good. Got a PT1911 now and am delighted with it.

Bought a NIB Ruger DA and it locked up the first time I shot it. Ruger has the worst customer service/repair department in the industry. I will never send a gun back to them if I want it to work, not get chewed to pieces, not have chewed up screwheads, scratched like it was dragged down a road, or generally trashed.

A guy I know just bought a new S&W a month or so ago. It jammed/cylinder locked up the first time he tried to fire it. Finally got the cylinder free, even unloaded it locks up when you try to cock the hammer or pull the trigger DA. Fairly consistent with most S&W guns I've seen over the years.

The new HP Chrome Laptop lasted 1 1/2 hours before going down. Sent it back, two weeks later they called, "We finally got around to looking at your computer yesterday and found nothing wrong, rebooted it and sending it back" "What do you mean you finally looked at it yesterday?!" "Oh, um, er...ah... that is..." Laptop is STILL a glitchy POS! No manual and have to figure out my own work around for all the lockups, weird stuff, WTF stuff, etc. Complete trash, but a gift so I can't shoot it and get something that works. The ONLY company that has worse QC/CS is Lee Precision!

Henry runs a semi-close second repair department just behind Ruger based on the guns I've sent back to them. Some guns are great, some guns are trash. If it is trash, save time and money by throwing it away, beats sending it back to Henry five or six times until they just box it up and send it back "as is" under their "life time warrenty".

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My neighbor cant get a response back now from Taurus just on prolonged hold and hangs up sick of the entire situation big time, gun + home range is a huge bad topic for him to discuss. Month plus and still same issues now with no replies back. I had a Taurus given to me and also gave it away.

Latest posts