Needing advice/opinions on holsters

Clint Dismore

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys. I'm starting to build holsters in my spare time and I am looking for your opinions. When I can get completely set up, I will start offering them for sale. I can build full kydex or the hybrid leather/kydex holsters. I have a few questions if you would humor me.

1. What do you think of the one clip design? I just made the Glock 19 holster today and wore it to dinner and liked it. It stayed in place but was more compact than my two clip holster for my M&P 9c.

2. What kind of attachments do you like to see on a holster? Obviously when I am able to turn these out I can make them to your specifications, but I'm not sure what people want at this point enough to stock a bunch of one thing.

3. How much are you willing to pay for a holster like this? I know there is a range on the internet, but I want honest opinions of what you would pay a local guy building them in his spare room/gun room.

4. Do you care about the different colors of leather and kydex? I realize they can look very nice if done right, but I would have to order the materials which would add cost and time. I like the black on black look but let me know what you think please.

I would appreciate your feedback on these. If you have any comments other that what I have asked, feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20141209_204824.jpg
    20141209_204824.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20141207_063253.jpg
    20141207_063253.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20141209_133137.jpg
    20141209_133137.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 22
  • 20141209_133116-2.jpg
    20141209_133116-2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 23

Podman

Well-Known Fanatic
In the winter when I wear a jacket I prefer the owb type holster and in the summer or when wearing a jacket isn't possible I prefer a pocket holster. I prefer leather although
I have a Crossbreed leather and kydex iwb and like it. I think around $30 to $50 bucks is good price range.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Clint Dismore said:
1. What do you think of the one clip design? I just made the Glock 19 holster today and wore it to dinner and liked it. It stayed in place but was more compact than my two clip holster for my M&P 9c. ONE CLIP IS A REALLY GOOD OPTION FOR AIWB. FOR REGULAR IWB, I LIKE TWO CLIPS FOR STABILITY

2. What kind of attachments do you like to see on a holster? Obviously when I am able to turn these out I can make them to your specifications, but I'm not sure what people want at this point enough to stock a bunch of one thing. IF YOU MEAN WHAT TYPE OF BELT ATTACHMENT, I LIKE THE CLIP-ON VS A FEED THROUGH FOR EASY OFF/ON. BUT THE CLIP MUST BE A VERY GOOD ONE. LOOPS WITH A ONE-WAY SNAP ARE ALSO A GOOD OPTION BUT THEY DON'T WORK AS WELL WITH ONLY ONE OF THEM

3. How much are you willing to pay for a holster like this? I know there is a range on the internet, but I want honest opinions of what you would pay a local guy building them in his spare room/gun room. ANY QUALITY HOLSTER CAN BRING $50.00 EASILY

4. Do you care about the different colors of leather and kydex? I realize they can look very nice if done right, but I would have to order the materials which would add cost and time. I like the black on black look but let me know what you think please. NOBODY CARES ABOUT COLOR. BLACK KYDEX AND NATURAL LEATHER

I think there are too many people building the same damn kind of holsters, the think the draw on a leather/kydex hybrid sucks, I like all kydex iwb holsters, but theyre hard to do right and time consuming. I would encourage you to try to design and and come up with something new and create a new product instead of another crossbreed clone

Clint Dismore

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you guys for the input. I've got some thinking to do. I understand a lot of this is personal preference and that is the whole reason I'm doing it. I like to make these myself for my own uses and figure maybe I can help some people find what they want. I don't want to be like everyone else but that's easier said than done. We're good Mike. I wanted honest opinions. I have an idea. I'll report back with a prototype if it isn't a complete fail

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd like to throw in my .005 cents. If you're going to do plastic use Boltaron, it works the same as Kydex. I worked in aviation for 10 years and most of the plastic in the interior is Kydex. It doesn't hold up so hot over time with the temperature changes and UV is hell on it. I have a buddy that's on the holster making bandwagon and he uses Boltaron and it seems to work very nicely and is comparable in cost to Kydex. I guess I'm kinda pissy like Mike too I don't like the draw on a lined holster. With too much perspiration it can really get bogged down. But if it's just for looks it can really bring some class to a plain old plastic holster. I wish you the best of luck with it. And above all have fun. Oh yeah, as for style I like anything low profile for carry either IWB or OWB I don't care much for printing. And clips over loops usually they just look more professional in my opinion. You're stuff looks good, keep it up.

Clint Dismore

Well-Known Fanatic
I appreciate the input and ideas. Looks like I need to experiment with materials and designs. Would an all kydex pocket holster be uncomfortable? I don't have any pocket guns so I'll have to figure that out. The bodyguard holster I made was for the father in law. I've also seen the ones that just cover the trigger guard and have thought about playing with that design. I'm going to order some boltaron next time I make an order also

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Clint Dismore said:
I appreciate the input and ideas. Looks like I need to experiment with materials and designs. Would an all kydex pocket holster be uncomfortable? I don't have any pocket guns so I'll have to figure that out. The bodyguard holster I made was for the father in law. I've also seen the ones that just cover the trigger guard and have thought about playing with that design. I'm going to order some boltaron next time I make an order also
Good question. I have two pocket holsters. One is leather and the other is sharkskin. They are contoured to fit around the thigh.

The only problem I have with them is keeping them in the pocket when I draw the gun. That's where I thought kydex might be a little more forgiving.

Bill

Latest posts