Need Help: JP CTR-02 or PSC-11

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
I am getting ready to order my first dedicated 3 gun rifle and can't decide which upper to go with. I talked to the guys at JP and they recomended all the options but I am stuck on which way to go on my upper, I like the CTR-02 and I like the idea of having a side charging bolt as well with the PSC-11....it looks like that would be beneficial to 3 gun, but I have been shooting without it and my question is ..... is it worth the extra $200

Has anyone had any experience with it...did you like it, does it help at all.... appreciate any feedback

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I personally don't think it would be worth it simply because I've been running my AR with the regular charging handle for so long that I feel like I would mess up if a malfunction occurred during a match. My instinct would be to reach for the charging handle in the rear and not the side.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
When i shot my ACR in a match, I kept reaching back for the charging handle. I did it at least 5 times. Having to re-learn something is a pain in the ass, well it was for me. I'll never do that again. It's not worth the trouble to switch IMO.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I think it's a super cool idea. The only problem I see with their design for 3 gun is that the folded handle is folded which isn't fast to use. Folded makes it super nice when it's slung and not digging into your belly or balls but we don't sling too often. Talk to Eric when u order if possible. If you decide on the side charger tell him you want the handle he told me about at SHOT show. Non folding non reciprocating.

Why are you going with the CTR-02 instead of the cheaper forged upper? You lose the benefit of having a tightly matched billet upper/lower set if you pair that sweet billet upper with a regular old forged lower.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
That is kinda they way I was leaning, not going with the side charge...

Jesse, I was looking at doing a JP complete billett rifle, unless I mis-understood what they told me that was what the CTR-02 was. I talked to Ben, he suggested looking at putting a PSC-11 or SC-11 upper if I was interested in the side bolt or go with CTR, All of my other rifles are forged, my Larue that I just sold was billet and it was nice, I am not really partial to either, I just want to spend my money on something that will last and benefit me.

Do you think I should avoid the billet? go with a forged instead, or were you saying billet is the way to go.

jtischauser

Billet is nice but I wouldn't spend the extra again if a forged option was available for less. I love custom looking stuff but that about all I feel billet really is. It is a tighter and usually stronger unit but my forged shoot just as good as my billet.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
Roger that, thanks for your input I am going to really evaluate the two options, I am more interested in performance than cosmetics on this build, and if I can save $$ then even better

PapaWheelie

Hawaiian Jedi
Billet is good looking but usually heavier.

I have a few billet ARs myself. I picked them up off the prize table using a forged AR.

The JP barrel and JP internals are going to make your rifle smooth running, sick accurate, and reliable. I'd save the money on the billet and grab more ammo.

Kalani

jtischauser

Roger that, thanks for your input I am going to really evaluate the two options, I am more interested in performance than cosmetics on this build, and if I can save $$ then even better

Of u come up to the OKC 3 gun on the 25th u can check out my CTR-02 and possibly my billet Loki and my forged stags.

jtischauser

Forging is the process of taking a chunk of metal and stamping it under extreme temperature and pressure to the desired shape. Very strong and relatively cheap once you have a mold.

Like Burki said Billet uppers and lowets are cut from a billet of material. U can do much more detailed things during the milling process as compated to forging but it's not always as strong or cheap because it takes time in a CNC machine.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
Where exactly is the OKC 3 gun? I was actually planning on shooting the 25th at BOTW but I wouldn't mind trying something different if I can make the haul, and I would really like to check out your CTR, how are the stags?? are they a good bang for the buck?? I looked at those also

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
I just looked it up, it's a little bit of a haul for me but I'm going to check and see if I can make it up....if not this one i will plan on trying to make the next one for sure, I have a newborn so I have to work my 3 gun addiction in anytime I can. Is anyone shooting in the Larue match in April??

Chambers

actual GM
Yeah, probably 10 of us....

Good call on going w/ a standard old forged receiver. The side charger is silly.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I have been looking and looking and everyone is helping me see the light .... I think I am going to order forged, use the extra money for other things...ammo optics etc, cool on Larue hope to see some of you, it is going to be my first time shooting in it, Ive heard its lots of fun

Latest posts