Need help identifying a S&W revolver

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
Picked up an old Smith & Wesson revolver today and am curious of the model and year. There isn't a model number inside the swing arm like newer models but there is the number 56740 on the arm and the frame. The serial number on the butt is 721769. I'd like to change the cheap plastic grips but need to know the frame designation too. Most likely a K but not sure. The logo is on the "driver's" side and only says MADE IN USA stamped on the frame below the cylinder. The barrel only has 721769 stamped on it on the bottom side. A 38 special round fits perfect. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
BTW that is a bandana, not a flag. Also, the gun has a 3rd screw by the hammer. This made me think it's an older one. Thanks!

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Judging by the serial number, the Made In USA stamp, and the 5th screw, it looks to be an M&P hand ejector built between 1940 and 1942. The serial number range for that time was 700000-1000000. The post war and model 10's had a letter prefix. Doesn't appear to be the rare 2" model because the extractor rod is unprotected. I think it is a S&W M&P Model 1905 4TH Change. This is based on the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
Is that a flat spot on the underside of the barrel at the extractor knob? Some of these had longer barrels changed to short barrels for concealed carry. I'm curious if the barrel was cut or new barrel fitted and the extractor rod is longer which enhanced reloading speed.

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
It is flat on the bottom side of the barrel and stamped with the serial number. I had wondered if it may have been cut down due to it not having any markings on either side of the barrel. If so, whoever did it did a good job because looking at the muzzle and sight you cant tell.

Latest posts