Need help! Glock 35 ring of lead

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm having a problem with a ring of lead building up in the front of the chamber in my lone wolf barrel and causing rounds to not feed all the way in the chamber. Has anyone heard of this before? I need a quick fix if possible, I'm going to be shooting area 4 this weekend and these are the only bullets I have right now. Here is my load data: 200gr unique .40, 4.7gr WST, 1.140 COAL (I've tried everything from 1.125-1.150), .420 crimp (this is as loose as I could get to fit in the tight lone wolf chamber). I almost am thinking the bore might be too tight but I don't have a way to tell.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a piece of lead I pulled out of my barrel after it jammed. Another thing I forgot to mention is that Eric Williams and I both bought barrels at the same time and they both are having the same issue. I also shot five plated bullets with the same load specs and didnt see any build up, probably because they were plated though.

Attachments

• CAM00493.jpg
    CAM00493.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
How hard are the bullets? I've heard the Unique's are "soft and gooey". I don't think that's your problem though. I would think you would have lead throughout the barrel if it was solely bullet hardness. You might want to throw a bore snake and some solvent in the bag and snake it after each stage.

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
For some reason the rest of my post didnt make it. I don't have a deburr tool, but I never had a problem until I changed to lead, and I have never noticed a burr. Cleaning it between stages wouldn't help because it happens after only a few rounds, like less then 10. I have belled the case as far as I can get it without it catching on the seat die. That enos post does make me think I might have too much crimp though. I've pulled a few rounds and found it is leaving an indention on the bullet, not sure how to get around it though because of the tight chamber. Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Your bullets are sized .401" right? They should be and it sounds like your chamber is really tight. Are you using a Lee FCD? If thats the case just forget about getting good accuracy with lead. Lead bullets are supposed to be bigger than jacketed and those dies are great for jacketed. But they will turn your .401" bullets into .400 bullets which will cause you all kinds of problems.

H&H had a nice supply of Extreme plated today. Tony may have some too. That might be the route you need to go.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
Your bullets are sized .401" right? They should be and it sounds like your chamber is really tight. Are you using a Lee FCD? If thats the case just forget about getting good accuracy with lead. Lead bullets are supposed to be bigger than jacketed and those dies are great for jacketed. But they will turn your .401" bullets into .400 bullets which will cause you all kinds of problems.

H&H had a nice supply of Extreme plated today. Tony may have some too. That might be the route you need to go.
Would this also contribute to bullets tumbling? Sorry for the hijack.

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I tested the Unique bullets with a durrometer and they were just as hard as some other lead that was supposed to be a harder cast. I haven't experienced any tumbling with the lone wolf barrel, in fact I was getting a 10 round 2" 1 hole group at 30 yrds. This would be great if I wasn't trying to clear a jam on the clock. I'm beginning to think it may be a chamber/ tight crimp issue. I'm leaving marks on the lead at the edge of the case, but I would need to have the chamber opened first to find out. I think I found some plated I can use if I can't fix it for this weekend.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
BobS761 said:
Would this also contribute to bullets tumbling? Sorry for the hijack.
Absolutely. Almost everyone that I've seen have tumbling bullets had one of the following going on.

1) They were using a Lee FCD with lead, coated or plated bullets
2) They were over crimping in a taper crimp die.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Dad takes meticulous care in loading our rounds. I'm positive that he is crimping the hell out of them because he is worried about set back. And yes, lead bullets and FCD being used. This is good stuff! Thanks!

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I had something like this happen when I switched from Bayou Bullets to Precision Bullets. The Precision projectiles have a very different profile, and they were being crimped by the seating die. By that I mean the bullet was not seated enough before the belling was taken out of the brass. It also caused the coating to shave off and build up at the case mouth, and I had the same type of ring in your picture build up in the chamber throat. Adjusted the seating die, never happened again.

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I had 2a open up the chamber a little so I could take the crimp back out but it didn't help. I wasn't sure what die I was using (it's not my machine) but it is a Lee FCD. What is the problem with the FCD anyway?

Michael Harrell

Well-Known Fanatic
It also caused the coating to shave off and build up at the case mouth, and I had the same type of ring in your picture build up in the chamber throat. Adjusted the seating die, never happened again.

@Mitch - By "adjusting the seating die" do you mean you reduced the depth the brass entered into the die? I might have to try that, but if the fcd die is causing other problems it may not be worth messing with.

Latest posts