Need help building a lightweight upper

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Need some advice....my 8 year old son is my practice buddy and has really been bugging me to build him his own AR. He's only 8 and not all that big so it will need to be as light as possible. I'm wanting something that will allow him to shoot in local 3 gun matches (< 200yds) when he's ready in a few years and also be his coyote rig.

Lower is going to be a Spikes (I can get it local for $99), with JP FCG and probably a Magpul CTR or maybe the ACE Socom (is it pretty light?)

I'm leaning towards a cheaper low power optic to start.....probably the Weaver 1-3x20.

I should also mention this is going to be dad's first build. I did install and time a JP fcg in my rifle over the weekend so I think I'm ready to tackle the job.

So, if you were building a lightweight upper for your kid, wife, girlfriend, what components would you use?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Lightweight? I go with the lightest 18" or maybe even a lightweight 16" with mid gas. Cheapest upper reciever you can find. 12" carbon handguard from AP Customs. SJC or Rolling Thunder comp. Low Pro Adjustable Gas Block.

On a side note, we have bought a bunch of those cheap Palmetto State Armory lowers. They work great and could save you $25-50 depending on the sale they have going.

Latest posts