Need advice - thinking of building a new precision rifle

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm kicking around the idea of building a precision rifle. My initial thought was to get a 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and upgrade from there as funds became available. Now I thinking about the regular 700 SPS in 7-08 with the 24" barrel since I already reload for my daughter's 7-08. Will I be sorry I got a regular sporter barrel over the heavy barrel of the SPS tactical? I really like the ballistics of the 7 over the .308.

I would eventually be adding an aftermarket trigger and probably a Manner's stock.

What do you guys think about a sporter weight barrel on a tactical type rifle???

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
My rifle is a Remington 700 SPS in 308 with the 20in barrel i added a manners stock with dbm (bought that at stockys stocks) Jewell trigger.

Next rifle will be surgeon action chambered for 6.5 creedmore. same trigger and stock configuration.

Problem I had this summer with 308 factory barrel is if i loaded the VLD bullets to magazine length i was 60 thousands away from the rifling the bullets never shot well in my configuration other option was to shoot single shot.
The 175gr match king shot extremely well but I had to dial in 26 minutes to shoot out to 775. Not the flattest shooting caliber but very repeatable.

The reason for the surgeon action is my scope mount worked its way loose while working up a load with the VLD bullets and that just pissed me off next rifle will have an integrated scope rail.

Calibers: I went with the 308 because i was not reloading. options then were 308 or 243. I could not find a remington 700 action set up the way I wanted in 243 so I just went with 308 I did not look real hard tho.

Calibers for next rifle are 6.5 creedmore followed by 260 remington and 6.5 X 47. All are great calibers 6.5 is areodynamic and mild recoil that allows you to watch your impact.
I love my 308 Remington shot about 875 rds through it last year but over 600 yds against other calibers I felt I was at a ballistic disadvantage in competitions.

Good Luck so many options out there ...

My goal was to build a custom rifle this January but i have that 3 gun bug...glad I found boomershooter

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot a lot of bench with heavy barrel and sport barrel. The only time I notice a lot of difference is when they start to get really hot. However my heavy barrels are spec at sub MOA and my sport barrel is spec at 1 MOA. And they both shoot what they should. SO if you find a sport barrel that is spec to shoot what a heavy barrel should then you will put up nice groups, but notice a difference when they start to get hot. Also how they make the grooves inside the barrel will detrmin accuracy, life, and flexability with different ammo. If I were you I would see what the heavy barrel is supposed to shoot vs what the sport barrel is supposed to shoot and go from there.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Why is the 300 win mag or the 300wsm not a option? I think I read that one of the best snipers in the world is using a 300 win mag.

(null)

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
Depends on how far you going to go with it. If your wanting to do a different stock and a few little things I would just get a rem 700 in 308 or 300 win mag. I have a 308 that's taken about as far as you can go on a stock 700 action and I love it, but my next one will be in some form of a 6.5 round. I wouldnt do a sporter barrel if your going for precision

Latest posts