Need 1911 kit info.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
I hope you guys can help. I'm looking for information about fitted 1911 kits. I'm looking for something that is good quality and cheap. Just looking for information right now.

The Antichrome

They are not quite ready yet, but Crossbones LLC will have a fitted frame/slide set for sale soon.
Price should be reasonable, but I wont speculate what it will be yet.
They're just coming on board as a premier sponsor for boomershooter.

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
If I remember right Fusion is run by the folks who were doing the Dan Wesson 1911's before CZ-USA bought them out. Bob Serva or something like that. From what I've heard it's supposed to be some good kit.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Rob Kroupa said:
If I remember right Fusion is run by the folks who were doing the Dan Wesson 1911's before CZ-USA bought them out. Bob Serva or something like that. From what I've heard it's supposed to be some good kit.
I've been reading the site and looks like you are correct. I wish they had more info on the site about the metal they use, i.e. carbon steel or stainless. Prices look good and they apparently give a discount on additional parts.

I'd like to find some others as well. We all like to have options.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I wouldn't send fusion my money but that's just me.

Talk to a good gunsmith and tell them what you want. Then buy the parts they reccomend and send them to the gunsmith along with a check. Wait a bit and soon you will get a box back with your shortblock/slide frame fit. Don't be insulted if a gunsmith isn't interested in doing this either. Don't go cheap, a good gunsmith will charge around 3-500 bucks for building you a shortblock, depends on the specifics of what you want. The little bit of additional cash is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
STAY AWAY FROM FUSION.

I had a buddy that bought a kit - it was a disaster - I can try to find the thread on 1911 forums if you want

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
I wouldn't send fusion my money but that's just me.

Talk to a good gunsmith and tell them what you want. Then buy the parts they reccomend and send them to the gunsmith along with a check. Wait a bit and soon you will get a box back with your shortblock/slide frame fit. Don't be insulted if a gunsmith isn't interested in doing this either. Don't go cheap, a good gunsmith will charge around 3-500 bucks for building you a shortblock, depends on the specifics of what you want. The little bit of additional cash is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

B.S. DuBois said:
STAY AWAY FROM FUSION.

I had a buddy that bought a kit - it was a disaster - I can try to find the thread on 1911 forums if you want
I really want something I can build out myself. Except for the slide fit. I am trying to learn how to do this stuff on my own. I have built my own AR, now I want to build a 1911. I want to learn to do my own gunsmithing and maybe start my own business in the future.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Building an AR is like putting Legos together. Building a 1911 is like building a race engine. There's no comparison between the two. It can certainly be done, but that's biting off a lot at one time.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
I would agree with you if I didn't already know what I was capable of. I understand an AR is easier, although not everyone can do it. I have always worked on my own vehicles (cars and motorcycles) and built my own computers. I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done to put together a 1911. Custom metal work is not new to me. I'm not saying I know everything, but I know I can do it.

Like many of us on this site, I'm not your average Joe. :beee:

Spiff

Semi-Pro
StealthESW said:
I would agree with you if I didn't already know what I was capable of. I understand an AR is easier, although not everyone can do it. I have always worked on my own vehicles (cars and motorcycles) and built my own computers. I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done to put together a 1911. Custom metal work is not new to me. I'm not saying I know everything, but I know I can do it.

Like many of us on this site, I'm not your average Joe. :beee:
That sounds like my background, and when I pull a 1911 apart I see a bunch of parts I'd scrap a few times before I got it workable. Best of luck!

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Austin T said:
And don't let it go full auto with other people around at the range!
That's why it's good to have friends that live in the middle of nowhere. I don't think that will be an issue, however, I'm prepared for that. If you fire one round in a mag first, then a mag with two you can catch issues like that real fast.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with Stealthy, not to hard with an attention to detail. Caspian makes some nice kit type stuff, just get on their web site and brows around.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Depending on what you actually want built have the smith do your ramp cut while he's at it. If that's correctly done and your barrel is right the rest isn't too hard. I have to be honest though. I've reached the point where I just want to have it done for me.

Latest posts