My rifle is coming along nicely.

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
Couple more questions for you seasoned 3 gunners... :)

Got most of my rifle done now. I took your guys advise on alot of parts. I choose a couple parts because I thought I liked them from the reviews and write ups. I'm sure maybe a couple parts may not be the best. But so far it's the nicest AR I've had. I'm sure it's not as good as yours guys but I'm excited. Lol

Questions I got is on a $150 or less 30mm scope mount. Any suggestions?? Warne skeleton mount, Burris pepr mount, or save and get a JP?

Do I need a ambi safety? If so which one? And why do I need a ambi? I've only shot right hand.

Which upgraded charge handle? Bcm gunfighter large or run stock with the badger handle?

Pmags or brownells gi mags? I need a few more mags I only have 7. 4 40 pmags and 3 30 m2 pmags.

Last is the scope question. I'm wanting leupold vx6 1-6 but not sure on reticle cause nobody local has any. Fire dot duplex or Firedot 4??

Thanks for the advice guys.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The Warne skel mount is very nice, especially for the price. There are 2 of them nib in the classifieds right now that I'm very tempted to take possession of.

Ambi safeties come in handy on occasion when the MD decides to do some offhand shooting for the COF.

Charging handle, the BCM Gunfighter is the only one I use.

Pmags are my go to mags.
I've never had problems with my GI mags, but I also put Pmag followers in them.

I don't have any opinions on Leupold scopes as I have never used them.

White Kid

The American Reaper
The Vortex Cantilever, 2in" offset, 30mm mount is like $80 on www.opticsplanet.com.
I'm gonna' be gettin' the 3in" model for my rifle, which is $90 instead of $80.
So you're literally paying $10 extra for 1 inch. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White Kid

The American Reaper
The Fortis Hammer charging handle is pretty good.
The BCM Gunfighter (L) is also good, so I'd go with it.
As far as mags go, personally I'd go with PMAGs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I've been using the same GI style Del-Ton charging handle for 4 years. It has never let me down or held me back.

P-Mags don't always drop free easily. Usually they do, but not always. Metal mags seem to not have that characteristic.

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds good. Ill save for the bcm charging handle. That Warne mount is a very good price. I need the money to get the scope first. But after the scope I'm going to pick up the mount and maybe 5 more pmags. Thanks guys... Can't wait to get first shots through the rifle.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I happen to know a guy that is selling a Warne SKEL mount.

I also run a standard GI charging handle with an oversized latch (badger ordnance I think). I have only ever used Pmag's and have never had any issues. I could see where they might hang up like Mitch is describing, but I personally haven't had that happen to me.

Rumor has it that Vortex is introducing or did introduce a new less expensive 1-6 option. I have a Vortex 1-4 and love it, however the Leupold is nice too.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The sub $100 mounts are Chinese made and the $150-200 mounts are usually American made. If you are putting a $1000 scope in it on top of a $2000 rifle I'd say get the $190 Vortex Recon which is made by American Defense Manufacturing aka ADM or the new Samson mounts over the $90 vortex mount. If you're just shooting club matches with a budget build of a rifle and a $300 scope the Chinese mounts are fine.

I have never needed or had an ambi safety.

The best charging handle on the market is the Raptor. Several companies sell them rebranded with their name on them. They are not cheap but they are nice. I have them on all of my guns now.

I run pmags because they readily available pmag couplers and extended base pads and some hexmags (cause they look cool) too. I have a 20 rd PMag, several 30's with eTTI extensions, coupled 30's coupled w/TTI extensions. a 40rd PMags with TTI Extensions, and a pair of 40rd pmags with TTI extensions and a coupler. Depends what you use to shoot prone with as far as what length you want. Between the 30, 30 w/TTI , 40's & 40's w/TTI you can get the right ammo/height requirement for any stage.

On the VX6 I haven't run one just looked through them. Id probably opt for the MultiGun reticle if I was shooting past 300. If only going out to 300 I'd run the simple crosshar and zero at 300.

Good luck!

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for your input guys. I'll check out the products you all recommended. You all have been really helpful in this build. I can't wait to shoot it. :)

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic

I went with a black rain lower, sd3g trigger, ace stock, jp low mass buffer, and jp Spring, kns pins, ergo grip, jp 18" upper light contour, small comp, adjustable gas block, lmos bcg, 15" jp handgaurd. The upper was on there ready Rifle program. I just wanted to share, sorry for the messy bench... Lol

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys. Just ordered a scope too. Can't wait for the weekend. Going to break it in. Sunday were on the 600 yard line sighting in.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
bulletman said:
Thanks guys. Just ordered a scope too. Can't wait for the weekend. Going to break it in. Sunday were on the 600 yard line sighting in.
What glass did you get?

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse I traded my eotech 512 and throw lever and & 500 for a leupold vx6 1-6x24 illuminated firedot duplex. And cheap Burris mount. My 512 was new warranty replaced broken one. the scope and mount was new never mounted. Figured this should be good for our local 3 gun since we will only see 200 and 99% is 100 or less. Only thing I need is off set irons eventually and a 2" rail for front sight on this jp.

I'm excited, it's not a the best but nicest I've ever had. Beats my $200 weaver 1.5-6 I ran last year I hope. I get it today. Not sure if I sight in at 100 or 50 for our short Bay matches.

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic

Did the break in that jp recommends. Then got my scope on. Went to the club and shot 50/100/180 and 300. Did really well. I had a piss poor grip going prone with a tall 40 round mag. Had the sd3g double one time on me. Once I gripped it right in had no problems. Didn't get to shoot 600 I worked the pits for a couple friends that wanted dialed in for the MO 3 gun match this weekend.

Latest posts