My first shell ever to reload?...HELP!

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay I thought I was all set up and good to go with my new Lee Pro1000 .223 reloader. Well the case dropped in fine, pushed down to deprime.....and when I pushed back up....well the whole damn decapper rod came out with it.....(don't know if decapper rod is the proper terminology). So my first time to ever reload isn't going well....how do I get this rod thing out of my shell? I got the primer our finally but the rod is stuck. The first die resizes and de primes....I'm using once fired federal brass and used One Shot on them....is that die screwed now? As in do I need to go ahead and order a new one? So...I didn't make it through the first shell...lol

Olivers_AR

Fanatic
Should be able to use pliers to get it out. Make sure that your not setting the pin too deep.

Go ahead and order additional ones, you'll break one sooner or later.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah I tried some pliers...I didn't really give it hell yet...I just set it down and Coles it a quits...I have to be up at 4. I will continue tomorrow with it....I can turn the rod and everything....but when I go to pull it out....nothing...

Called* not Coles

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
Probably going to have to fix the case or decapping pin in a vice to get them apart. Getting extra pins is a good idea too.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Stop using One-shot for rifle cases first of all, use the lanolin based spray lubes for rifle cases. One-shot works fine for pistol, not for bottle necked rifle cases.

Prolly need to stick the case in a vise to get the rod out (I'm assuming the dies are Lee too), and you'll probably break it upon removal so order a few more.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay...Ill order that lube...I had a few people suggest one shot to me....I found out quick it didn't work. Yes the dies are Lee also.hopefully I can get it out without breaking it....

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
That's what I was thinking....I will cut it our tomorrow....I had the wife go powder valley today to pick everything up....about an hour drive from Ponca.....this is what I ordered to start with...give me a little feedback on it.....
2lbs of H335
1lb w748
1lb of BL-C2

100 52gr Nosler HPBT
250 50gr Hornady V-max
100 55gr Hornady V-max (moly)

And of course the One Shot....Sucks because I don't know of anyone in Ponca that sells reloading stuff.....Im going to have to get a double powder disc from Lee before I start reloading in progressive mode.....but I have to get past the dr-priming/re sizing stage first....I have a ways to go before I start reloading in prog. mode...I'm going to stick with single shelling until I get everything down well...it didn't start off good....but I kinda figured I would run into some problems....just not on my first attempt

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Keep your head up! and if this is the only screw up you'll be doing REAL good! like other have said get spare goodies especially de-cap pins your gonna break them. I know people who have had good luck with the One Shot but I'm not on that list, I still use the old nasty RCBS lube pad BUT I don't stick cases :)

It's a learning curve just take your time and if you have a question the guys on this site are awesome to help out the best we can! and no question is too goofy to ask! reloading is great fun since you get to shoot more but we want you around so years from now you can answer so questions for new reloaders so be safe and ask if ya don't know. Later,

Kirk

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Kirk....main thing is getting this Lee Pro 1000 .223 reloader tuned. Almost all of the reviews say it's pretty good once you get everything set up. I didn't want to drop the money for a Dillion with this being my first time to reload....down the road I plan on upgrading...But that us years down the road....it will def be a learning curve for me....I have some locals that know a lot about reloading....Dennis being one of them....I used to hunt right across from his house....I know his son really well also....I'm sure he will provide me with a lot of tips as well as everyone else on here

toyfreak

Well-Known Fanatic
You forgot to lube.
You can Get the case out if you have the tools.
I did this once but I was using a rcbs single stage press.

You need to take.the die out, find a nut that fits the threads on the die. then put it in a vise. The nut will keep you from screwing up the threads.

Get a tap and die set, tap and thread the primer pocket.

Then find a socket that will fit over the case and rest on the die.
Get a long bolt that fits the threads you put in the case. Thread the bolt into the case through the socket. When the bolt head reaches the socket it will start pulling the case out of your die. You may need some washers to put under the bolt for more stroke.

Hope that makes sense.
Good luck. And don't forget your lube.

dennishoddy

If your still having problems getting it out, Tim is coming out to load shotshells Wednesday, after work. Come out with Tim, or meet us there and we will fix your problem.

Calamity Jake

Fanatic
So after you get the decap rod out of the case put it back in the die with about 1/4 inch of the
pin sticking below the die then tighten the 7/16 nut at the top of the die, this locks the rod
in the die so the case will be pulled over the expander ball instead of pulling it out.

Just to let you know your One shot case lube did not cause this, the loose decaping pin retaining
nut caused it.

The lanolin lube is a lot better, be sure to remove it after sizing your cases otherwise when fired
the slick case will cause excess bolt thrust.

Latest posts