Kimber My First Kimber

AVG40

Active Fanatic
This is a first for me was looking for a long slide 1911 but did not want a 10mm or spend a lot of money. In my LGS one day i see a long slide Kimber and it was 45acp and under $900.00. I could not pass this one up. Did two upgrades to this one installed an S&A one piece magwell and Hogue finger grove grips.
[/url

The Collector

Active Fanatic
My very first Kimber (and 1911) is a Grand Raptor II. I bought it about 10 years ago and have less than 50 rds thru it..... AND YES!!!! one very big IDIOT scratch.... For me it was a hard learning experience.... brand new gun marred for life. :(
IMG_1773 (2).jpg IMG_1774 (2).jpg

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a first for me was looking for a long slide 1911 but did not want a 10mm or spend a lot of money. In my LGS one day i see a long slide Kimber and it was 45acp and under $900.00. I could not pass this one up. Did two upgrades to this one installed an S&A one piece magwell and Hogue finger grove grips.
[/url
Very sharp, love the grip too!

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice! I have not seen a long slide Kimber either. I fell for their advertising and a Kimber was my first 1911 purchase and I love it, one I will not part with as it was my first. Shoots great and runs perfectly.

I'm curious for a range report on a long slide 45acp though, let us know how that thing shoots.

Dwe

Well-Known Fanatic

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
In succession: Pro Carry, Ultra Carry, Pro Raptor, Ultra Raptor, Raptor. Then I found Wilson and they were all sold to fund Wilson's.

Kimber's get a lot of bad internet press but all of mine were great guns.

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
WHAT! Odd Ball?
You mean the venerable Superb 38?
And the Most Perfect cartridge that ever designed for the
greatest platform ever to exist..

ZOID!:eek:

Really!

I was pandering to the ".45 ACP Only" crowd don'cha know. They are slowly becoming "enlightened." It takes a while . . . . .

I had to go back to do the maff, but I just calculated that only 48.5% of my 1911 accumulation is .45 ACP (if you don't count the real oddball that is stamped 11.25mm) :cool:

Dwe

Well-Known Fanatic
I was pandering to the ".45 ACP Only" crowd don'cha know. They are slowly becoming "enlightened." It takes a while . . . . .

I had to go back to do the maff, but I just calculated that only 48.5% of my 1911 accumulation is .45 ACP (if you don't count the real oddball that is stamped 11.25mm) :cool:
Oh. Ok
I was starting to wonder.

Actually, I just thought about the last few years. Since being closer to 60 years old than 50, my purchases have gone from 11.5mm, down to 10mm, to 38 super and my last 3-4 1911s have been 9mm.

I guess it's a natural progression.
I was shooting my .45 Valkyrie
the other day, be cause I ran out of 9mm. I've been shooting the same 45 load for 30 years. 200 gr LSWC over 5.4 gr of 231, and after 100 rounds in an alloy framed commander, it just became uncomfortable enough to switch to a steel framed gun. After which my hands were aching for days.. I can still handle both 10mm and 45 in full sized steel guns, but I guess I need to adjust my ammo inventory to reflect my apparent limitations due in part to arthritis.:(

Last edited:

dakota1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't remember if those had the mechanical firing pin safety or not. If I found one for that price and it was not a "II" (mechanical firing pin safety) then I would buy it.

Jepoy

Fanatic
35014732-983D-4EDC-A692-F33F75CEEF7F_zps0qqns9ci.jpg

My first one. Custom Target II