My Benelli M2 is shooting low

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I was at the range last weekend, I set the target out, measured it at 70 ft, shooting slugs off the back of a folder chair as support, first shot was about 6 inches low and second was 4 inches low. I have suspected something was wrong as performing miserably on a plate rack we had at one of the 3gun matches, I'm not ruling out the problem being me, but I have suspected something wrong with my shotgun since that day. Shooting low seems to be the trend since I took it out the next weekend after that particular match to check the accuracy with the slugs, shooting from the prone position, shotgun resting on a bag and shooting low then as well. I didn't have any low recoil slugs and I knew that thing was going to kill my shoulder, and it did. I'll get some low recoil slugs and take it out again, until then maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but I'm a little concerned.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Shotgun are know for not shooting to POA. Patterning your shotgun for shot and slugs is mandatory!

Chambers

actual GM
Nordic clamp with a Nordic extension doesn't change point of impact much.

With my barrel at 100 yards I'm actually holding probably 10 inches left and high. You gotta figure out where it hits with your particular brand of slug.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Good stuff, I was getting a little worried it might be my shotgun.

I'm not using a barrel clamp, but good to know. I did change chokes from one test to other and still hit low. I have not patterned my shotgun with either. I was shooting just a little left, but I just thought my rear signts needed adjusted a bit. Should I not mess with adjusting the rear sights and just go by the pattern?

Chambers

actual GM
If you are talking about the plate rack from the big stage a couple matches ago I wouldn't even worry about your shot hitting high or low. You do need to pattern it, but if your off a plate at 8 yards it's because you were high or low on the vent rib. Dry fire snaps with the shotgun have helped me with that.

Chambers

actual GM
If you got an adjustable sight then you might as well. If not, whatever. Sounds like your barrel is a real good shooter to me!

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are talking about the plate rack from the big stage a couple matches ago I wouldn't even worry about your shot hitting high or low. You do need to pattern it, but if your off a plate at 8 yards it's because you were high or low on the vent rib. Dry fire snaps with the shotgun have helped me with that.

That's the one, you were helping RO on that stage when I ran out of shells.

Thanks for the input everyone, sounds like I have some more work to do next time I'm out at the range.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
At 30-40yds vertical is good but I hold on the right side for slugs.
For shot I have to hold on the base of target especially up close
We had a huge discussion on patterning, what I took from that was shoot at metal plates then repaint very quick easy process I have a 12"x12" plate works great.

I initially purchased one flavor tried another flavor then found ten boxes that were given to be maybe in the late 90's. Now if I would quit changing brands of slugs ...

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
After a long talk with Uncle Kurt on the subject of slugs keep in mind that slugs can vary greatly from brand to brand and even from batch to batch of the same brand. As an example, my M1 always ran the Winchester low recoil slugs like a champ so I got a bunch. The last batch of these didn't run for beans in my gun so I switched to Remington managed recoil for now. Next time I get slugs, who knows? lol. Anyways, this is another part of the recipie to keep in mind.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
After a long talk with Uncle Kurt on the subject of slugs keep in mind that slugs can vary greatly from brand to brand and even from batch to batch of the same brand. As an example, my M1 always ran the Winchester low recoil slugs like a champ so I got a bunch. The last batch of these didn't run for beans in my gun so I switched to Remington managed recoil for now. Next time I get slugs, who knows? lol. Anyways, this is another part of the recipie to keep in mind.
Ahh, a good reason to buy them by the case.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
at the distance they most likely will be shooting at targets.
Thank you, Captain Obvious. Considering I have only shot three gun at two different places and don't know what distance to expect at other places that I will be shooting this year, I was looking for a bit based on experience with different venues. I'm thinking 20-25 yards. Does that sound about right?

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Also make sure your shotgun is properly fit to yourself. It's possible you're not properly aligned with the vent rib and need to change the shim in the stock for a better fit.

Latest posts