Mossberg signs Jerry Miculek

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Jerry M is going to be running a 930 next year which means good design and development are in store from Mossberg.

I believe local 3 gun champion Kurt Miller has one for testing as well. Furthermore, I hear rumors of Browning putting their shotguns in the hands of 3 gunners to put them through the paces. It appears as though the 3 gun sport is attracting new manufacturers and growth. Good news!!!

Actually, Im pre-testing Kurts test gun until hes available to come get it.

Its ate everything Ive given it; pretty soft.

Not enough drop in the stock, though; I gotta press my face down hard to index.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I had a 930spx that wouldn't run. I cleaned it and cleaned it and it maybe would be ok for 15 rounds. Traded that ***** off at a gunshow and never looked back. Caveat Empor.

the spx models are different from the newer 930's, which is good based on yours and other's experiences with the spx's.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I want to use a 500 road bloaker from mossberg with that big ass comp on it.

PS thanks for sharing the abuse to Kurt gun, Mike.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
It's cool that Mossberg is getting into the competition arena. Benelli needs more competition. Maybe someday they'll actually make barrels available to the public.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Since Mossberg didn't send me one, I can be a bit more blunt. The shotgun, with the 5-600 dollars worth of work may serve well as a replacement to the 1100 or 11-87. This shotgun would not be on my list for anything 3-gun. I shot it again today, and although it is 10 times better than the stock 930, it is slow. I outran the Benelli once, only when I was trying to. The mossberg is not designed to shoot fast. When I was trying to get on it, I found myself pulling the trigger the second time as the bolt was still at the rear of a cycle. The recoil was actually more than my M1 to me but like Kurt said, it might be the stock angle. The loading port is plenty good size now, but nothing loads like a Benelli or even a FNH. It is balanced quite a bit better than when it came out of the box now. I am the first person that would love to not have to drink the Benelli cool-aid any longer, but unfortunately Mossberg has missed the mark on this one..
For any new shooters reading this thinking of getting into 3-gun, please either find a used Benelli, or spend the cash on a new Benelli or FN. As of today, there is no reliable, serviceable alternative that has been tested. I am still awaiting a pair of Browning Silver shotguns to run the same tests on. Time will tell.

Again, just an opinion..

Mike

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Mike,
If I was to buy a new FN, what mods would need to be done to make it good for 3gun. Keep in mind I am new & would probably not even notice any short comings they have from the factory. So, what should be done immediately & what mods could wait until I know how to use it before they are necessary?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Mike,
If I was to buy a new FN, what mods would need to be done to make it good for 3gun. Keep in mind I am new & would probably not even notice any short comings they have from the factory. So, what should be done immediately & what mods could wait until I know how to use it before they are necessary?

Not Pinto but I do have a SLP

Weld up the lifter, cut back the plastic forend, round the loading port edges over, and add a +1 extension (you can wait and see if you can fit 8 rounds of your chosen ammo in the tube first), add ammo and shoot the piss out of it to see if it needs anything else.

After those mods it may need the following:

1. Lifter lightening/spring change
2. Chase sharp points around the extractor groove
3. Seal piston if your spring lunches itself
4. Higher front sight to deal with slugs/buck hitting feet high at 50-70 yards

You will notice shortcomings like amputated thumbs, jams from hell, and ammo that won't hit anywhere close to where you point the gun.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
What he said. Get a nordic +1 and the lifter worked and really, that is all you have to do. I would still recommend either finding a used benelli or saving $200 more for one.. I have not cleaned my Benelli for over 2,000 rounds now. It is stinking filthy but is still purring along. The FN's, to keep running tip top will require just a bit more maintenance. If you keep it clean and lubed, it will be great..

Latest posts