Mil-spec v Commercial Stock

taymoor

Skilled Lover
commercial is thicker and slightly more common. I'd say go commercial. It has to do with the diameter of the buffer tube.

Chambers

actual GM
Tubes, yes...springs, no.

k233005_k187093_ctrcommeciavsmilspec.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Good stuff, Mike. Thanks. You get extra credit for pictures.

One last question and I will be through.

Since the tubes are different O.D., does the lower also have to be commercial?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I went mil-spec. The threads are better and less likely to **** up. And there are more stock options with mil-spec than commercial.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/451227_.html&page=1

There's a better thread with less jackasses on M4C but the site is down.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Also a comm stock will fit a milspec tube but not the other way around. The comm tube is 'thicker walled' but that doesn't mean stronger. The threads on the milspec tube are better Becsuse they fully engage the receiver better, ie less likely to strip out. It has to do with the way they are manufactured. Forged vs extruded or machined vs extruded. I forget which. Comm is fine for most if not all people. You have slightly more stock options with milspec as well as the option of adding the enhanced butt pad on the CTR/moe line of stocks. Either one are really ok in the big picture.

CATM

Active Fanatic
Also a comm stock will fit a milspec tube but not the other way around. The comm tube is 'thicker walled' but that doesn't mean stronger. The threads on the milspec tube are better Becsuse they fully engage the receiver better, ie less likely to strip out. It has to do with the way they are manufactured. Forged vs extruded or machined vs extruded. I forget which. Comm is fine for most if not all people. You have slightly more stock options with milspec as well as the option of adding the enhanced butt pad on the CTR/moe line of stocks. Either one are really ok in the big picture.
+1 Great Info!

Cole2534

Active Fanatic
I've always heard that the mil-specs were stronger than commercial so I've always gotten the mil-spec myself.
True.

A military spec stock has a slightly smaller diameter because the threads are rolled into the tube; the benefit is a work hardened area, since the threads are essentially forged into the tube by squeezing the tube between a pair of dies. The reason for the smaller diameter is that during the creation of the thread profile material bidirectionally displaced from the outer surface of the tube; the threads achieve both their major and minor diameter from the forming process.

A commercial stock has cut threads, and since the material is removed unilaterally the the tube must start at the larger dimension.

Latest posts