Medical Supplies

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like for one of you guys that have some experience and training to post a list of supplies needed in a first aid kit. Many of the store bought kits seem to have a lot of useless junk. Maybe gear it to those that have some knowledge of first aid, but not quite first responders.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Bob, there are a lot of levels of first aid kits. What's your intended use of the kit? Range/competition, blowout/EDC, trekking/hiking, general home kit, etc.?

As a place to start, every kit possessed by shooters (defensive or competition, it doesn't matter) should contain two things: A tourniquet and a roll of gauze (preferably the hemostatic type like QuikClot). Frankly, I prefer the z-folded gauze since it won't roll over the floor if you drop it and it feeds better.

Beyond those two things, you have to assess your intended use of the kit. That'll largely drive what you put into it (For instance: Our home kit contains burn treatment items like silver sulfadiazine and plain 4" rolled gauze).

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
+1 on Amazon. They have cases of IV fluids for very low prices, and looking around quickly at other stuff, they have everything necessary. I personally can't stand pre-made IFAKs, as they include things you don't need and don't have things you do.

FYI, if you are looking to buy one of the tourniquets issued by the military, forget the CAT altogether. The CAT is the black nylon tourniquet with the velcro and the plastic windlass (The stick you wind). We found the velcro to be no good at holding and the plastic windlass breaks if you try to use it on a leg because of how hard you have to twist it. Get the SOF tourniquet, may be called other brand names. It's the one with the alligator teeth friction buckle and the aluminum windlass. You can use that on any extremity and it will be great.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Amazon has a lot, North American Rescue is a good source also and has some restock packs that have good basics in them, they also have more advanced kits, I keep a basic first aid kit in my truck all the time. I have added a CAT tourniquet and need to add some other bleed stop supplies.

dennishoddy

Amazon has a lot, North American Rescue is a good source also and has some restock packs that have good basics in them, they also have more advanced kits, I keep a basic first aid kit in my truck all the time. I have added a CAT tourniquet and need to add some other bleed stop supplies.
I also keep a spring assisted carbide tipped center punch in the door pocket to break out automobile windows. I see these LEO on TV trying to break out auto windows with their asp or club. It just doesn't work.
The center punch will turn the side glass into pebbles with one push.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm on massive blood thinners where if you look at me real hard I bleed! The hospital once used a rubber wrap somewhat like an ace bandage on steroids to stop an injury from bleeding out. That stuff was awesome but I can't find it anywhere.
Harpstr, That "ace bandage" was probably some sort of "israeli bandage" That is basically a HEAVY duty Ace bandage with a 4x4 bandage on one end. They are not a tourniquet, but can be very helpful in an emergency. The are made in several sizes.