MantisX Training System

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
One of my fellow Warriors of the Shitposting Revolution sent me one of these to play around with: http://mantisx.com/. IDK how useful it actually is but I like geek stuff.

I'll bring it to the USSA USPSA match this month if anyone wants to try it out.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
One of my fellow Warriors of the Shitposting Revolution sent me one of these to play around with: http://mantisx.com/. IDK how useful it actually is but I like geek stuff. I'll bring it to the USSA USPSA match this month if anyone wants to try it out.
so it works using accelerometers?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
so it's just measuring the gun jerking right before the recoil impulse.
That'd be pretty interesting to see during a C.O.F & not just trained fire.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Wall said:
so it's just measuring the gun jerking right before the recoil impulse.
That'd be pretty interesting to see during a C.O.F & not just trained fire.
It would, but it's out for Prod b/c the attachment would be illegal and the holster wouldn't work. There's also be so much noise from running around that automatic analysis would be more difficult.

But gunshots are pretty readily identifiable on accelerometer readouts so you could use that.

I really need to figure out how to take this thing apart.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Right, just thinking how interesting it'd be comparing real shooting to purposeful shooting

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Saw these at the gun show yesterday but didn't stop to try it because the guy doing the demo gave me a snake oil salesman vibe.

Austin@Mantis

New Fanatic
Hey - Austin from Mantis here. Happy to answer questions.

Yes, it uses accelerometers and gyroscopes.

The current version of the app won't work well in your typical competition scenarios. As dr poopgiggle pointed out: there's too much other noise that can mess up the data (is that a hard stop or a bad trigger pull?). We're working hard to add that capability going forward. The current version is really geared towards static shooting, focusing on core shooting mechanics, common shooter issues, etc.

For holster draws, we designed some mag floor plate replacements that basically add a rail to the floor plate. But that only gets you to your first mag change, so...yeah, it's best for non-competition stuff at this point.

And yes, it's much easier to reverse engineer on Android. :) The firmware on your unit is probably just streaming live data to the phone, so nothing too interesting there, as all the analysis happens app-side.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Wow, thanks for joining in the discussion Austin & welcome to BoomerShooter. As I said earlier the product looks pretty interesting.

How cool would it be if I could see what I was doing during an actual C.O.F as opposed to static shooting when I'm really focusing on fundamentals? My bet is I get pretty sloppy on the clock. I'm definitely going to be watching this for news of updates.

Austin@Mantis

New Fanatic
Wall said:
How cool would it be if I could see what I was doing during an actual C.O.F as opposed to static shooting when I'm really focusing on fundamentals? My bet is I get pretty sloppy on the clock.
Agreed 1000%. We're working hard to get there. That's one of our end goals.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Austin@Mantis said:
And yes, it's much easier to reverse engineer on Android. :) The firmware on your unit is probably just streaming live data to the phone, so nothing too interesting there, as all the analysis happens app-side.
I've wanted a rail-mounted accelerometer for a while, and I'm a software guy so analyzing data is much easier than fabricating a rail-mounted thing :p

Austin@Mantis

New Fanatic
dr poopgiggle said:
I've wanted a rail-mounted accelerometer for a while, and I'm a software guy so analyzing data is much easier than fabricating a rail-mounted thing :p
If you're trying to pull raw accelerometer data off MantisX, it won't be as cut and dry as hoped - we do some pre-processing of the data before sending it over. Let us know what you'd love to see, and we can build it into an app for you.

Latest posts