Man Plugs $80k+ Electric Truck Into His House

dennishoddy

All EVs take quite a while to charge, usually 24 hrs. if all you use is a 120 volt outlet.
Bingo! if you use a 120 volt outlet from normal house current with normal household current that is 15 amps per circuit.
The chargers are built into EV's. Charging stations only provide the power required to run the internal charger.
There is an onboard computer that can see how much power is available and adjusts the onboard charger accordingly.
That means two EVs plugged into the same charging station can take different amounts of time to charge based on battery size, battery charge level, and the capabilities of the chargers built into each vehicle.
Different electric vehicles have varying battery capacities. The battery's capacity is similar to the size of a fuel tank in a gas-powered vehicle, and it has a direct impact on the range of the vehicle. Big batteries provide more range, but they also take longer to charge when fully drained, just like a big fuel tank takes longer to fill than a small one.
The charging stations along the interstates provide up to 50 amps of power which drastically decreases the time required to recharge and get back on the road.
IMHO EV's are probably going to work ok for a commuter vehicle of short distances but driving cross country is going to difficult just like the Natural Gas vehicles that quickly faded away because there were few places to refuel.
There are people driving them across the country but they spend a lot of time in restaurants at charging stations.
Battery technology still isn't where it needs to be to make EV's a long range driver.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Bingo! if you use a 120 volt outlet from normal house current with normal household current that is 15 amps per circuit.
The chargers are built into EV's. Charging stations only provide the power required to run the internal charger.
There is an onboard computer that can see how much power is available and adjusts the onboard charger accordingly.
That means two EVs plugged into the same charging station can take different amounts of time to charge based on battery size, battery charge level, and the capabilities of the chargers built into each vehicle.
Different electric vehicles have varying battery capacities. The battery's capacity is similar to the size of a fuel tank in a gas-powered vehicle, and it has a direct impact on the range of the vehicle. Big batteries provide more range, but they also take longer to charge when fully drained, just like a big fuel tank takes longer to fill than a small one.
The charging stations along the interstates provide up to 50 amps of power which drastically decreases the time required to recharge and get back on the road.
IMHO EV's are probably going to work ok for a commuter vehicle of short distances but driving cross country is going to difficult just like the Natural Gas vehicles that quickly faded away because there were few places to refuel.
There are people driving them across the country but they spend a lot of time in restaurants at charging stations.
Battery technology still isn't where it needs to be to make EV's a long range driver.
I do not believe that the EV will never be a viable solution. Look at the only two progressive states that are pushing these now are CA & NY. Show me any of these liberal states ideas that have/are working.

1664887002522.gif
Not much that those two states are doing is working and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

1664887133517.gif

Last edited:

dennishoddy

I do not believe that the EV will ever be a viable solution. Look at the only two progressive states that are pushing these now are CA & NY. Show me any of these liberal states ideas that have/are working.

View attachment 28633
Not much that those two states are doing is working and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

View attachment 28634
I'd probably have one if they were affordable. My daily commute was only 36 miles per day round trip and I worked at a 1100 megawatt power plant where the charge would be free.
The price of replacing one of those batteries are astronomical though. 1/2 price of a new vehicle and it has to go through proper disposal practices.

dennishoddy

Why buy one then???
Because you're saving the planet if you do. :rolleyes: LOL!
It takes diesel powered mining equipment to remove 500 tons of ore from the earth and more equipment to process the ore and a manufacturing facility to build it from the components to make just one battery.
There is no calculation on this planet that can justify the "carbon footprint" that process involves that would make EV's capable of saving the planet, which is actually in no jeopardy of needing saved.
This green crap is being drilled into the heads of our children and grandchildren in public schools when it's false.