Mailing bullets, errrr projectiles, errrrrr copper and lead

Tom

Active Fanatic
Apparently there is a bullet shortage in Iceland. My friend Johann, whom I just visited in June, cannot get .243 Winchester bullets in any weight or configuration. He reloads for himself and friends for the upcoming raindeer season. He checked the Mid South web site and ordered the bullets he wanted, sending them to me. This is because Iceland is one of the countries companies don't like to send anything to because of their high rate of "claims." Nothing to do with bullets. He checked the Iceland Police and bullets (NOT LIVE AMMUNITION) is okay to ship into the country. This is where the fun begins.
I went to my local post office this morning to make sure when I showed up with 5 pounds of bullets I would not get a arguement from them. The moment I mention "bullets" all kinds of red flags go up. After I explained to her that this WAS NOT live ammunition, she calmed down; and called the "shipping guru" somewhere to verify I could ship bullets through the USPS. The word "bullet" is what sets these people off. Bullet is the right nomenclature for a fire arms projectile. I drew her a picture (lady at the post office) and then she understood that "a bullet was NOT ammunition." Whew. She wanted to know what the "bullets" were made up of; when I told her in this case copper and lead, she said "then put that on the customs form" good thinking. There are people that can think outside the box. BTW, the USPS shipping guru is still confused and was adamant that bullets could NOT be shipped. We all know that is BS because companies ship them all the time.
Because the boxes rattle so badly and this may draw attention, I am going to open each one up and pack it with bubble wrap so there is no sound.

Tom

Active Fanatic
Dayman said:
Hope all works out well for your friend. Kinda of reminds me of this story...http://www.blackfive.net/main/2007/08/hhhmmmsomething.html. I ditto the wrapping with bubble wrap to reduce the sound. Should also protect the projectiles too. .243 the go to round for Reindeer huh, cool.

They hunt them on the moors, mainly to keep the herds thinned out. Here are the rules: first you have to go to a rifle range and PROVE you can handle your rifle safely and hit your target. Then you enter a lottery for a "raindeer" ticket. If you are lucky enough to get a ticket, Apply for a raindeer license, then you can hunt raindeer. However, you have to go with a guide, who will know where the raindeer are traveling (they are grazers and don't stay in one spot). You are traveling on flat (umm bumpy moss covered terrrain) on your stomach to get in range. Range can be from 150 to 400 yards. I suspect the .243 Win is chosen for its relatively flat trajectory and its ability for "one shot one kill". Because of the terrain, if you don't knock the deer down the first time, you probably will not get a second chance. Raindeer is yummy.

Latest posts