Magnum primers?

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
What's the difference with magnum primers? I can get a bunch of small pistol magnum primers for cheap, but don't know the difference. Will they work fine for 9 and .40? Or should I wait to find regular ones?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no expert, but I've read the only significant difference was the hardness of the cup, which allows the magnum primers to withstand higher pressures of hotter rounds. I know people who used magnum primers back when standard primers were in very short supply and none of them complained of any ill effects.

dennishoddy

Primers affect the pressure generated by the cartridge. Changing from standard to magnum primers may substantially raise the maximum average pressure of the cartridge. Magnum primers are "hotter" than standard primers, designed to ignite ball powders which are harder to ignite than flake or extruded powders.
All that being said, yes you can use them, but you will have to back your load down and work back up to get the power factor your looking for.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I used them for a couple thousand rounds recently. No big deal. Keep shooting.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Another dumb question..... I've seen guys get a squib where usually the bullet doesn't travel far enough into the barrel to let the next round chamber. Obviously no powder, just a primer. Will the magnum primers push the bullet far enough to allow the next round to chamber possibly?

dennishoddy

Tech said:
Another dumb question..... I've seen guys get a squib where usually the bullet doesn't travel far enough into the barrel to let the next round chamber. Obviously no powder, just a primer. Will the magnum primers push the bullet far enough to allow the next round to chamber possibly?
I can't back it up with any scientific evidence, but common sense says it should.
Somebody needs to test this.

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't count on a standard primer not pushing the bullet far enough in to not let the next round to chamber. I have seen it happen firsthand. It didn't cycle, but the bullet had to be driven from the barrel with a dowel.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Tech said:
No, I have ran out of powder and screwed myself loading for my .45 ACP and it squibs no different than any other squib I've encountered.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Tech said:
No

Latest posts