Mag pouches/holsters for competition

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I need to get some mag holsters that are smaller and more adaptable than the rather crappy Glock brand units that I bought in a rush for my TDSA class. I'd like to know what you use to compete and why, pros and cons. Thank you in advance. I'm looking at buying the Safariland 773 right now, and I shoot a Glock 17.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I use a Blackhawk Serpa for my holster, I like it because it has the retention on there. With a little practice it's a very fast holster. I've seen people get DQ'd when their pistol falls out of their holster while running between stages with a rifle.
Blade tech seems to be pretty popular from what I've seen from others.

My mag pouch for the Beretta is a Fobus and the one I use for the 1911 is a Blade Tech.

JoesGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
I currently use double alpha mag pouches and a Bladetech DOH holster. They are adjustable for cant and retention. When I was shooting mostly production, I used a Comp-tac holster and mag pouches. I had absolutely no problems with them. I shoot my Glock 17 in production and a Glock 34 for limited.

EricMartin

Fanatic
Hello,
I use also cr pouch, working great but they must be tight hard. During my first match I lost all my chargers (beginner). The new model daa really looks good but the first all plastic was bad (a tighten too often). For the holster,too many good model for my glock I like uncle mike ...

LeviTheKid

Active Fanatic
Kytac aka David E

Well honestly.. Kytac is a good holster. But you wait a long time for it.. So if you want a good holster fast and pretty cheap Triple Crown is the way to go.. Ya it's my Dad and I'm supposed to help him out but thats my unbiased opinion and I know people that like the 3xCrown holsters better than their Kytac so choice is simple to me.. And I Like mine better than Comptac.. So if you don't want to spend tons of money on fancy safariland stuff when you can get things that are cheaper and work just as great. With better turn around time..

I take full responsiblity for that quote and that's my opinion. It's not the best but it's a great option to go with

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
Since I haven't quite started selling my kydex holsters and pouches, I will vouch for 3xCrown. Troy makes some good stuff.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
This was supposed to just focus on magazine pouches. I just coupled holsters to it because some vendors call them magazine holsters. And so do I, for that matter, because "magazine pouch" sounds wimpy and lacks character. Sounds like a little purse that the magazine is ensconced in.

I'll see what Troy has before I buy a global brand.

Chambers

actual GM
Those safariland you mentioned are great. They are well made, fully adjustable and cheap. Sounds like you got it figured out already.

Last time I talked to Troy he had not started selling mag pouches...still in the R&D phase!

FYI...those 773's work with every double stack mag I have tried. I use them with my M&P9 mags and my 2011 .40 mags.

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the 773s also. I can open them for my sti mags or my m&p. or tighten them for my SS mags

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Troy is making mag pouches, but he's backed up for a few weeks. 773 it is!