M1 Garand price

phm14

New Fanatic
I'll echo what BigJohn said, condition is everything and his prices are consistent with what I have been seeing. I have a couple of WWII Garands and a couple of post WWII. Generally, the WWII manufactured ones bring in more, especially Winchester. All matching components add value as most of the ones out there are mixmasters from armory rebuild programs. If it's a national match and you can prove it or one of the M1C/M1D sniper versions, they can bring a lot more. Check out the auction sites for what they are going for.
This is the route I went, close to 10 years ago- GI "mixmasters", as noted above, meaning, my two WWII Garands went through the post issue process of being torn down, and rebuilt from bins of in spec parts, mixed from multiple manufacturers. One is a Winchester receiver, and the other a SA, I believe. I didn't want to jump through CMP hoops, and wanted honest wear, vs a complete re-condition. Think I paid $800-$1000 each. Really cool rifles. My 5'4" wife shot one of mine, very comfortably, due to the recoil reducing weight. Very soft shooting. Native soldiers in Asian theaters loved them for the same reason, despite the weight, and for the legendary knock down power of the 30 06. Showed my Winchester to my father in law, a Korean war vet. It was cool to see the look on his face, as he immediately recognized what it was. He was instantly familiar with it, even though it had been nearly 7 decades since he'd seen one, in person. Rest in Peace, Bob, and thank you for your service. :)

dennishoddy

I only know the basics of the M1 Garand. Caliber 30-06 Top load 8 rd.clip, distinguished ping when last shot fired, breach locks back to accept reload.
I read a book about the Garand. The enemy knew there were only 8 rounds, so they would move up when hearing the "ping" until they could assault the position if they "thought" it was only a single shooter or maybe two.
The American Soldiers would intentionally let a spare rifle "ping" while waiting on the assault with great success.
Never underestimate an American Soldier to come up with a solution to a problem.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Last RSO duty at ARPC I had a shooter admire my DCM M1.
He was trying to sell his M1 carbine for $1,100 & asked if I wanted
to sell or trade my M1. So I asked him what kind of trade he had in mind.

I paid lets say $200.00 for that M1 from the DCM plus finger prints & all that.
So he says I will trade you my M1 Carbine + $200.00 :eek: WTF? They were
just surplus rifles. Today try to buy a 1917 Colt Military 1911 pistol for under $500.00

I believe I would just pass on the M1 & get a good M1A they cost less today. ;)

Last edited:

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Last RSO duty at ARPC I had a shooter admire my DCM M1.
He was trying to sell his M1 carbine for $1,100 & asked if I wanted
to sell or trade my M1. So I asked him what kind of trade he had in mind.

I paid lets say $200.00 for that M1 from the DCM plus finger prints & all that.
So he says I will trade you my M1 Carbine + $200.00 :eek: WTF? They were
just surplus rifles. Today try to buy a 1917 Colt Military 1911 pistol for under $500.00

I believe I would just pass on the M1 & get a good M1A they cost less today. ;)
@Mike A1 Are you feeling alright, you haven't been hit on the head lately have you?
The Standard M1A costs $1799.99 these days.
For reference a CMP M1 Garand only costs $700.00 initially and the price only goes up from there depending on the version that the buyer wants.

While I agree that the 1911 prices are ridiculous, but unfortunately trying to find any new production 1911 under $500.00 is kinda hard unless you go Rock Island, Tisas, or American Tactical Imports.

The prices on M1 Carbines have gone through the roof lately, I got mine for $400 from my local gun shop and had to spend $200 for a new stock and handguard and sling kit to unbubba it. Royal Tiger is trying to sell M1 Carbines they bought from Africa that they refurbed (New Barrels or Stocks) for anywhere between $899.99 and $1399.99.

Last edited:

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If you are looking for a safe queen, what do you think one of those would go for?
? :D Safe queen.

Can you imagine that? What must the NM M1As be worth today with Military NM parts
civilian Heavy barrels, & SA receivers, Bedded to a Ping ?

Before I got my M1s & M1As I bought a 1903 A3 springfield & started shooting the NMC.
I still regret selling that 03, however it did get me my first DCM M1.

I have always liked old Military Guns & ammo so I was attracted to the old 1911s.
Always wanted a Colt SA Army but the price was always too high, however I could find
real 1911s for under $400.00. I once told another dealer that one day the old 1911s
would find their own. And so they have.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
? :D Safe queen.

Can you imagine that? What must the NM M1As be worth today with Military NM parts
civilian Heavy barrels, & SA receivers, Bedded to a Ping ?

Before I got my M1s & M1As I bought a 1903 A3 springfield & started shooting the NMC.
I still regret selling that 03, however it did get me my first DCM M1.

I have always liked old Military Guns & ammo so I was attracted to the old 1911s.
Always wanted a Colt SA Army but the price was always too high, however I could find
real 1911s for under $400.00. I once told another dealer that one day the old 1911s
would find their own. And so they have.
I'm in the palmetto state so I'm going by palmetto state armory prices.
Link:
Yes $150 cheaper than $1799.99 is a great steal! /sarcasm. (sorry, I had to say it.)

The prices on M1A's from Springfield Armory are what led me to buy my PolyTech M14/S for $900.00
Sure it's made in China, but remember M1A Receivers are all Cast Receivers these days, the Chinese PolyTech Receivers are Forged.
Save for a few parts on my PolyTech I've replaced almost every part with surplus M14 parts from Sarco, Numrich, and Apex.

Did I have to spend the money? No, but if I wanted a Bayonet lug or an original M14 stock, I had to do so.

Either way I'm glad I got mine when I did, apparently even the prices on PolyTech Rifles seem to be going up now too.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The prices on M1A's from Springfield Armory are what led me to buy my PolyTech M14/S for $900.00
Nothing wrong with Polytech M14s unless you try to replace the barrel.
I had a High power shooter buy one & Smitty & I tried to change the barrel. it would not budge
& the receiver was flexing badly. Smitty who changed Barrels on M14s & M1As could not get it loose.
He Smitty thought the Factory had glued it into the receiver. It held 4 MOA with the pencil barrel
yet was a very reliable weapon.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Nothing wrong with Polytech M14s unless you try to replace the barrel.
I had a High power shooter buy one & Smitty & I tried to change the barrel. it would not budge
& the receiver was flexing badly. Smitty who changed Barrels on M14s & M1As could not get it loose.
He Smitty thought the Factory had glued it into the receiver. It held 4 MOA with the pencil barrel
yet was a very reliable weapon.
Well the bolts are hard to replace too so I didn't replace the trigger group, bolt, or the op rod, I did replace every other internal part including new springs. Honestly most of the Surplus parts were immaculate when I got them, probably were new old stock that had been taken out of the wax surplus brown bags.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry for double posting but I just got an update from The CMP that they have some 7.62 NATO Garands available for $950 and $1600.
Link: https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/#7.62NATOM1Garand

Note: Be aware that these are rated for standard 7.62x51mm NATO and not Commercial .308. My recommendation is if you want to shoot Commercial .308 you should buy the Schuster Adjustable Gas Plug so that you don't bend your Op Rod. Also if you purchase one, you have to sign a DISCLAIMER AFFIDAVIT.

JT1911

Fanatic
I'll echo many of the above comments and suggest going through the CMP! As a Garand collector, I'd also recommend joining the Garand Collectors Assn, both for the CMP requirements, and for the excellent Publication that comes with your membership! In it you will find a Marketplace where collectors are selling everything from basic Garands to collector grade rifles at fair prices especially considering that many collectors spend a lot of time and put in care to build "correct" grade rifles. Garands, like 1911's, have so many variations you can spend a lifetime and not learn everything about them! Good luck in your search! Cheers!

Wethammer

New Fanatic
Gun Broker shows anywhere from $2250.00 to $7000.00 for almost new to as new Garands. They're pricey but well worth it. Mine brings back memories of Camp Geiger & Marine Infantry Training back in 1965. We carried & qualified with M-14's at Parris Island and when we got to Geiger they issued us Garands. I wondered about that for a bit then figured there were 2 conflicts going on where the M-14 was needed more...Dominican Republic & Vietnam.
I was in a Junior Rifle Club in MA before going in the Corps & shot Garands in competition so I was very familiar with it.
As for "M1 thumbs"...never saw one nor heard of one except for some knucklehead angering a drill instructor or marksmanship instructor & them forcing said dummy to place his thumb inside the breach then letting the bolt slam on his finger. Usually kept the dummy from repeating stupid action.

Latest posts