M1 Garand price

Turkey

Well-Known Fanatic
If you were looking for a M1 Garand these days what would you expect to pay?

For a shooter is it still best to attempt to go thru CMP?

If you are looking for a safe queen, what do you think one of those would go for? Its such an interesting gun, with a lot of history for this country, right up there with the 1911.

Dave C

New Fanatic
Carried the MI during my Army days a long time ago thought the world of it I had a bad case of M1 thumb and had to switch to the M2 Carbine .Todays cost is kind of unknown to me I would go to Gunbroker.com and ask them or find out what they get for one

Starman213

Fanatic
Ditto with Dave C. GB has to be the market setter for pricing on rifles of that vintage. Good luck with that.

JB Thug

New Fanatic
The BEST plan is to buy directly from ... wait for it ... the US Government. www.thecmp.org

CMP has a very limited amount of M1 Garand, SA or HRA Rack Grade Rifles available. These rifles will be offered mail order, sold as is, with no exchanges. The rifles are rack grade (rough but functional and have been test fired).
RACK GRADES ARE SOLD AS IS WITH NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES.
Available
$700

EXPERT .30-06 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .30-06 Springfield. Bore condition will be "as new", and barrels will gauge "as new".
SPRINGFIELD (SA) or HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON (HRA)RECEIVER
The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts. (SEE RM1EXPERT DESCRIPTION ABOVE)
Available
$1150
Free S/H

EXPERT .30-06 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .30-06 Springfield. Bore condition will be "as new", and barrels will gauge "as new".
INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER (IHC) RECEIVER.
The balance of parts on EXPERT Grade Rifles will match all service grade criteria, showing less wear and a better cosmetic appearance than a Field or Rack Grade. Cosmetic condition will be good to very good. Rifle finish may vary, exhibiting normal wear and/or color variation among the metal parts. May have some visible pitting, frosting, or other minor cosmetic deformity on the metal parts. (SEE RM1EXPERT DESCRIPTION ABOVE)
Available
$1450
Free S/H

EXPERT .308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Winchester. Bore condition will be "as new", and barrels will gauge "as new".
Winchester (WRA) RECEIVER.
Available
$1350
Free S/H

The ordering process is pretty simple: fill out the 3 forms, have them notarized locally, and mail them in with copies of your ID and "qualifying" documents.

You MUST be a member of an "affiliated club." If you don't know whether one of your local clubs qualifies- use the search engine.

Or- Join The Garand Collectors Association - https://thegca.org/ ($25 per year for membership)

concealed45

New Fanatic
I only know the basics of the M1 Garand. Caliber 30-06 Top load 8 rd.clip, distinguished ping when last shot fired, breach locks back to accept reload. It's heavy, with a solid wood stock. Can't recall how many were produced during WWII but there was more than one company producing them and was said the rifle that won the war(or something like that). Weather getting warm finally here in Michigan, that means more shooting time and the fact I retired last July. Outdoor shooting works best for me, I have three LGS with indoor ranges I've shot in two of those, they are pretty relaxed and affordable but indoors just don't do it for me. I have a Strikeman single user system now and I'll be using that when too cold or wet to get outside.

F350Lariat

New Fanatic
Honestly, if you're not in a rush, cruise the local gunshops and you're apt to eventually find a safe queen for a reasonable price. At least in my area of the Northeast that's the case. If you want to buy one right away, then probably as others have said, go to The CMP store and buy what you can afford. Years ago I bought several from CMP and got a couple real nice ones - luck of the draw - for $500-800. Those days are long gone. $1 thousand bucks and up is normal.

ontheroad

New Fanatic
CMP is probably going to the best bet. Sure, you have to jump through a few hoops to get one but in the end you'll get a decent rifle, no import stamps, a pedigree and they're good about taking care of any issues you may have with the gun. Price is pretty much going to be lower than a private sale and they'll ship it right to your house. Odds are a face to face seller or retail store purchase isn't going to be able to do much of that for you.

Momule

New Fanatic
Sorry I never owned an M1 Garand. I shot one at a gathering one time could not believe how heavy it was! I remember thinking if I had to carry this into battle I probably wouldn't make it.

speedjunkie

New Fanatic
FYI, if you buy from the CMP, you have the option to get work done at their custom shop before it's sent to you. Rates are very reasonable and the work is very good. That's what I did with my last garand purchase and I had them build me a 308 tanker version.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
The BEST plan is to buy directly from ... wait for it ... the US Government. www.thecmp.org

CMP has a very limited amount of M1 Garand, SA or HRA Rack Grade Rifles available. These rifles will be offered mail order, sold as is, with no exchanges. The rifles are rack grade (rough but functional and have been test fired).
RACK GRADES ARE SOLD AS IS WITH NO RETURNS OR EXCHANGES.
Available
$700

SPRINGFIELD (SA) or HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON (HRA)RECEIVER
Available
$1150
Free S/H

INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER (IHC) RECEIVER.
Available
$1450
Free S/H

EXPERT .308 GRADE RIFLES will feature a NEW, Commercial-Production Stock Set and a NEW Commercial-Production barrel chambered for .308 Winchester. Bore condition will be "as new", and barrels will gauge "as new".
Winchester (WRA) RECEIVER.
Available
$1350
Free S/H

The ordering process is pretty simple: fill out the 3 forms, have them notarized locally, and mail them in with copies of your ID and "qualifying" documents.

You MUST be a member of an "affiliated club." If you don't know whether one of your local clubs qualifies- use the search engine.

Or- Join The Garand Collectors Association - https://thegca.org/ ($25 per year for membership)
Not to be a buzzkill, but The CMP is no longer "part" of the Government, it's now a Non-Profit Organization. And @Turkey as far as buying an M1 Garand the best price you're going to get on one is from The CMP. Otherwise you're spending $899.99 plus tax and shipping minimum from places like Royal Tiger for clapped out used lend lease rifles given to Africa. Not that I have a problem with lend lease rifles at all, but anyways if you want another type of used online through Gunbroker or Armslist be prepared to pay upwards of $1,000.00+

Just be aware of the requirements for The CMP, proof of shooting sports or cwp, birth cert, drivers license, club etc.

BigJohn

Fanatic
Hi Blackbeard, I have four M1 Garands, one from each manufacturer. To answer your question on current value, it depends! Condition is everything, if it is a good clean shooter with a good barrel and fair wood, $1200 to $1600. Now if you have a all matching parts, (ie) every part Winchester, Springfield, International Harvestar, or H&R, $1800 to $2200 in good to very good condition. Now if you have a matching parts and ser. number rifle you have a Holy Grail of rifles.

Rainyknight

New Fanatic
I'll echo what BigJohn said, condition is everything and his prices are consistent with what I have been seeing. I have a couple of WWII Garands and a couple of post WWII. Generally, the WWII manufactured ones bring in more, especially Winchester. All matching components add value as most of the ones out there are mixmasters from armory rebuild programs. If it's a national match and you can prove it or one of the M1C/M1D sniper versions, they can bring a lot more. Check out the auction sites for what they are going for.

BigJohn

Fanatic
I'll echo what BigJohn said, condition is everything and his prices are consistent with what I have been seeing. I have a couple of WWII Garands and a couple of post WWII. Generally, the WWII manufactured ones bring in more, especially Winchester. All matching components add value as most of the ones out there are mixmasters from armory rebuild programs. If it's a national match and you can prove it or one of the M1C/M1D sniper versions, they can bring a lot more. Check out the auction sites for what they are going for.
Now you are talking about some almost impossible rifles to find. All four of mind are matching parts and only the Springfield is WW2 (very last of war). A friend of mine spent several years buying extra parts to make these matching parts rifles then his wife took bad sick so he sold everything to me. I can only hope to find a real sniper Garand.

Rainyknight

New Fanatic
Now you are talking about some almost impossible rifles to find. All four of mind are matching parts and only the Springfield is WW2 (very last of war). A friend of mine spent several years buying extra parts to make these matching parts rifles then his wife took bad sick so he sold everything to me. I can only hope to find a real sniper Garand.
CMP has some M1C's, if you go to one of their stores in the 3000+ range. The scopes and bases are harder to find although there are reproductions out there if all you want is the look. There are so many parts from different manufacturers and different variations that getting one to "correct" status can be impossible. I'm working on it if I come across a part I need and can afford. I have a close to correct '55 Springfield, '53 HRA and '44 Springfield, but all in all i'm very happy just to have my mixmasters. I've been working on a Winchester for a few years but prices for parts has gone nuts. Original rear sights are running 500 and I'm not serious enough to pay that.

BigJohn

Fanatic
CMP has some M1C's, if you go to one of their stores in the 3000+ range. The scopes and bases are harder to find although there are reproductions out there if all you want is the look. There are so many parts from different manufacturers and different variations that getting one to "correct" status can be impossible. I'm working on it if I come across a part I need and can afford. I have a close to correct '55 Springfield, '53 HRA and '44 Springfield, but all in all i'm very happy just to have my mixmasters. I've been working on a Winchester for a few years but prices for parts has gone nuts. Original rear sights are running 500 and I'm not serious enough to pay that.
I can not do it right now, when I get time I will see if I have a Springfield rear sight and let you know. I have a big box full of extra parts from different manufacturers. I might be able to help you on some of what you need if you are interested.

Dave Shooter

New Fanatic
I picked up one of the CMP builds the other year where they take H&R receiver and put new Criterion barrel and new walnut stock on it. They were $650 at the time and I thought the best deal for a shooter (brand new barrel with zero throat errosion).

Gary Blakely

New Fanatic
Probably at this time the best place to get one is the CMP. Bought mine in 1989 at the late Dallas Gun Show for $270. It was a Blue Sky Springfield so I have replaced the Barrel(new 1952 Springfield, matches the gun) and Stock(Boyd's) and a few other parts. Probably have over a grand in it. My knowledge of M1's is limited and my shooting ability with it is worse.

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up one of the CMP builds the other year where they take H&R receiver and put new Criterion barrel and new walnut stock on it. They were $650 at the time and I thought the best deal for a shooter (brand new barrel with zero throat errosion).
I got one of those too, but I needed a local gunsmith's help swapping the bolt carrier out with a period correct bolt for the rifle. The bolt carrier that came with mine had some bad rust blob on the bolt carrier and it was one of those unissued post war bolt carriers.

Latest posts