M&P Pro 9mm recoil spring question

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone know if the recoil spring on the M&P pro is different than the regular models? I ordered a wolf spring kit for M&P from brownells to tune my pistol and the springs look like 1911 style springs, and the spring in my Pro looks totally different, sharper edges and half the size... It looks to me like you would have to replace the whole spring assembley: guide rod and spring in order to change spring weight. Can anyone enlighten me on this and if so where can I get the right ones?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
full size & pros use the same recoil spring assy.
If you're looking for reduced power for shooting soft reloads, I carry the 13lb & 15lb flat ISMI springs in my store.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
So do you have to run ISMI springs since that is what it comes with? I can send the wolff's back to brownells, And do you just remove the hex head bolt on the guide rod to change spring? I am running a 124 gr bullet, I am wanting to lower the recoil for faster target aquisition, so would I use a lighter spring or heavier spring? I was thinking I would need to go heavier am I looking at it wrong

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
are they factory bullets or reloads?
For soft reloads you should use a softer spring to reduce recoil like the 13lb.
I run the 13lb ISMI in my 9Pro & it's great.

Yes, you remove the screw from the end of the guide rod & swap the spring.

I would imagine you could run any brand of spring as long as it was the right spec for the M&P.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
By "soft reloads" you mean gamer minor loads, right?

How would I know if the spring is too light? I've never screwed with recoil spring weights before and I'm worried about beating up the gun.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
my 9mm load are 127pf.
They stovepipe with a factory spring.

RK{ARMS}

Active Fanatic
Pick up a stainless guide rod and some ISMI springs. It will cost you 40 bucks or so and it will change the entire feel of the pistol. With the right set up you will increase reliabilty and not have to chase brass everywhere. I 2nd the 13 lb spring it seems to give me the widest range of loads that function and feel good.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Pick up a stainless guide rod and some ISMI springs. It will cost you 40 bucks or so and it will change the entire feel of the pistol. With the right set up you will increase reliabilty and not have to chase brass everywhere. I 2nd the 13 lb spring it seems to give me the widest range of loads that function and feel good.

the M&P comes from the factory with a SS guide rod. The Glocks are plastic & have to be changed with the spring.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes I am running reloads, I will just try a 13lb ISMI spring and see how it does, I think I will send my kit back to brownells, Is it easier to just buy another guide rod or use the one I have,? I tried removing the hex bolt this morning and its pretty tight, and hard to do with the spring tension.

RedRaider271

Well-Known Fanatic
This is what I am currently running...
124 grain projectile
Winchester powder
Winchester primer
1100 FPS

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
This is what I am currently running...
124 grain projectile
Winchester powder
Winchester primer
1100 FPS

for a 124gr your velocity only needs to be 1008 to make minor power factor of 125.
You're shooting about 136 PF
You could reduce your powder some if you wanted, I'd shoot for around 1030-1040fps

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Yes I am running reloads, I will just try a 13lb ISMI spring and see how it does, I think I will send my kit back to brownells, Is it easier to just buy another guide rod or use the one I have,? I tried removing the hex bolt this morning and its pretty tight, and hard to do with the spring tension.
You'll have to put it in a vice to remove the screw it the first time.
Be sure to protect it from the jaws of the vice.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
By "soft reloads" you mean gamer minor loads, right?

How would I know if the spring is too light? I've never screwed with recoil spring weights before and I'm worried about beating up the gun.

you can feel mine at the pro am. I have an 11 and a 13

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I'm not gonna be at Pro-Am. A friend of mine is an IDPA babby so I'm going to Oil Cap with him that day.

Latest posts