M&P or dpms

snowman03gt

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok guys/girls it's that time again I talk to bob the other day and he has a dpms sportical and a m&p sport. I like both rifles told him I would take the dpms over the m&p but now that I been reading more the m&p comes with sights that I want the dpms doesn't and all I would change would be the hand grad and stock. So do I spend a little more for the m&p or save money go with dpms and buy my sights? I like both guns I just need other people's thoughts thanks

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
Well an unexpected cost you might find with the DPMS is the height of the gas block rail. I tried to install some magpul sights on my DPMS, and the front rail was too short so I had to install it backwards. Then, when I went to the range I discovered the height difference between the upper recover rail and the gas block rail was so large, the BUIS were totally useless. The solution was a quick trip to Dicks to buy a $170 Troy quad rail so the sights can align properly. Here is a pic of the railed gun. You can see the height gap pretty clearly.

IMG_0833.jpg

Paco

Well-Known Fanatic
Torontogosh said:
Well an unexpected cost you might find with the DPMS is the height of the gas block rail. I tried to install some magpul sights on my DPMS, and the front rail was too short so I had to install it backwards. Then, when I went to the range I discovered the height difference between the upper recover rail and the gas block rail was so large, the BUIS were totally useless. The solution was a quick trip to Dicks to buy a $170 Troy quad rail so the sights can align properly. Here is a pic of the railed gun. You can see the height gap pretty clearly.

That's probably a good thing. Magpul says the BUIS aren't designed to handle the heat of sitting on the gas block's rail. (they are plastic after all, while strong plastic, the gas block can get a bit toasty.)

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Does he still have the Stag Model 3? That thing's got a sweet modular handguard and a lifetime warranty. But (maybe not a big deal to you) at one point the S&W M&P only had a 1 yr warranty. (May have been those in the past that were not actually made by S&W, so ask.

Also consider you can get a usable Red Dot for less than the cost of iron sights. With the lower set railed gas block, you will probably end up looking at Yankee Hill or similar for flip up sights, and those can get pricey, $100+. FYI, the value priced M&P might not have a chrome lined barrel FWIW.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
S&W has chrome lined chamber and bore.
According to the S&W ws, on the "M&P 15 Sport" model only the bolt carrier and key are chromed. Regardless, I doubt even the lack of a chrome lined barrel would be a bug disadvantage for casual use. Undoubtably still a fine rifle.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

Here's the Stag. Watch the video. They also have this rifle at Dick's, but Bob has a much better price. This pic doesn't do it justice; may even be the old style handguard.
http://www.upstatearmorygroup.com/index ... t&Itemid=2

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a little curious why you only considered those two brands rather than shopping around. Not to say you made a bad choice, but if my gunstore only had 2 options I might look around a little bit before making such a big purchase.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
snowman03gt said:
Talked to bob at uag and I'm
Going with the m&p
Congrats! I'm sure you will be happy with it. If there's something about it you end up not liking, you can always change it... It is an AR after all.

Latest posts