M.A.B. Model C

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I am working on a little bring back pistol for a friend. It's an MAB Model C, the barrel is marked 9mm, but all the info I have says that they were either 32 or 380. Cute little thing, it has the twist release collar on the barrel bushing, but has a 4 digit serial number.
I know a lot of pistols from France at the time were influenced by Spanish guns, and that there were a LOT of different 9mm styles, but I'm not sure if this is that? If anyone here has any experience with these little guns, I'd sure like to hear what you know. It's field stripped and in a parts bath now, waiting for a new set of grips, but it should look great in a few days. Thanks

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Even to this day, in parts of Europe, the 380ACP is simply known as a '9mm short'. Mostly because Europeans knew Georg Luger and not John Browning (as in Colt Automatic Pistol - ACP). At least until John Browning and his son, Val, established a significant working relationship with FN in Belgium.

Last edited:

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
That's what I was counting on. I'm sure it's a .380, but I remembered that there was another "9mm" common in Spain, developed, I think, for their small machine gun. Pretty sure it's still around over there, but not the same as the 9mm short. Thanks

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd be careful in replacing the grips. You may be getting rid of relevant history (see linked article for details on the grips) for this gun and certainly you'd be at least getting rid of some significant provenance of the piece.

I don't know about the Model 'C' but other models from this manufacturer have already reached "collector" status and can command some fairly big bucks.

Last edited:

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not having much luck dating this thing. It has a 4 digit serial number, 5##5, and marked Model C. Slide markings are good, barrel is in great shape If you can help date the thing, I'd be grateful.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
A careful reading of that linked article I posted would indicate it has a production date somewhere around 1935 (+/-); maybe as late as 1937-38 (based on the relative low S/N you cite).

Read the article carefully and make sure it's not a model C/D - the slides were left marked as 'C' only (from previous production). Good luck.

You might be able to send a letter to FN (since they bought MAB) and see if they have any records which might help more closely date the pistol.

Last edited:

Latest posts