M-1A Scout Squad Rifle How Does It Measure Up?

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I ant a scout just because of the small size and it would be easier to move around house with it.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I owned a Scout for about 10 yrs..was a favorite rifle...until I bought a PSA version of an AR 10.
The AR format is very easy & inexpensive to modify. With an upper having a rail, easy to mount any size scope..easy to install a drop in trigger, or mount a brass catcher and bipod. The same mods that I wanted to do to my Scout. Accessories are both hard to find and / or quite expensive. Even good quality magazines are expensive, in comparison to an AR. Mounting a bipod required carving up the wood stock (something I didn't want to do) on my M1A.
Lastly, ( though this may seem hard to believe ) I could shoot tighter groups with the AR than a could with my M1A.
After owning & shooting the AR for about a year, I realized I'd stopped shooting my Scout ..I enjoyed shooting the AR more.
Perhaps due to it's history, (& increasing cost of new M1A's) my Scout increased in value & I was able to sell it for more than I had paid for it.

I'd always wanted a Garand or an M1A, for nostalgia / their " history"... having owned my M1A, I'm over that, and have come to appreciate and prefer the performance & adaptability of the AR format..

a last comment on the Scout model : .they come with the short rail, in front of the chamber, to facilitate scope mounting..but since the scope position is so far forward, you must use a long eye relief scope.. which limits scope choices. Not a lot of LER scopes on the market.
That, or purchase another style mount or modify the receiver to accept a scope mount. I f you plan on using iron sites, this isn't an issue.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I ant a scout just because of the small size and it would be easier to move around house with it.
Socom is 16"
Scout is 18"
Full size is 22"

Not much difference between the Scout and Full size. 3"
You might like the socom, more. -6"

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
Ive owned and shot both the Scout Squad and M1A.Ive gotten rid of both.Ive built an AR10 type with a 16" barrel and like it very much.I also like the FAL better than the Scout or M1A.The AR10 easier to maintain and get parts for as well as the FAL.