Lubricating Rifle Cases for Loading on Progressive Press

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Sounds like you put a lot of faith in this Kurt guy, I dunno if he has enough experience loading ammo. :)

I trust Kurt but he had an upset stomach and could only drink one beer while he was there. So I don't really trust this particular setup. I have never seen him work sober. It was weird and scary all at the same time.

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
So does anybody use an automatic case feeder on their progressive? Got million super 1050 with both case and bullet feeder. How should one lube for that? I've got one shot n not sure if I like it. Get a sticky case quite often, especially when running it in automated mode! Any suggestions?

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like you put a lot of faith in this Kurt guy, I dunno if he has enough experience loading ammo. :)

I don't know about how much experience loading ammo. But He has a lot of experience unloading it. :lol: Expecially Rifles and shotguns.

I use a single stage for rifle stuff but I lube all my brass on my 550 even with the carbide dies. It makes it easier and it saves wear and tear on the machine and dies. I just use grease as lube. later rdd

dustingaunder

Well-Known Fanatic
Kurt probably doesn't even know what reloading is anymore. He's probably had his ammo given to him for a long time now, lol.

Rhino55

Fanatic
I've heard some things hear that scare me. One is tumbling LOADED ammo! All the case prep and cleaning should be done before loading the case. I use the Hornaday one shot and it works great! Just follow the instructions. It is better than the RCBS lube pad. You need to handle every case to inspect for cracks, over pressure signs and any damage. This may ensure you not have a case failure during a match/self defense. I've been loading for about 15 years and I use to load around 10,000 rounds a year. Now I load average of 4000 a year but I stick basic rules of reloading.
This is my two cents!

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I've heard some things hear that scare me. One is tumbling LOADED ammo! All the case prep and cleaning should be done before loading the case. I use the Hornaday one shot and it works great! Just follow the instructions. It is better than the RCBS lube pad. You need to handle every case to inspect for cracks, over pressure signs and any damage. This may ensure you not have a case failure during a match/self defense. I've been loading for about 15 years and I use to load around 10,000 rounds a year. Now I load average of 4000 a year but I stick basic rules of reloading.
This is my two cents!

I loaded 600 rounds of .223 yesterday and tumbled them in two batches for 30 minutes apiece. The universe did not implode, and my apartment did not explode. I have done this for several thousand rounds now.

Tumbling loaded ammo being dangerous is a myth. Folks at Enos have tumbled stuff for over a day and shot it without ill effects. A family member of mine has had the same .44 Mag ammo riding around in his truck for over 10 years, which is driven over the same awful dirt roads every day. That S&W M29 has never exploded. If that doesn't cause vibratory powder degradation, I don't know what will.

Curly

Well-Known Fanatic
.223 Brass on a cookie sheet spray with Hornady one shot,roll around with hands poor in case feeder,load put in tumbler for .30 min. ,remove from tumbler go to match and then start the process all over.The lanolin stuff is great for trimming and sizing,but let a few rounds go through your rifle that hasn't been cleaned and it will start sticking cases and not feeding.Hornady one shot works in a chamber like it works in your sizing die and will not gum it up if you do not get it all cleaned off.
Kurt does reload,I was there yesterday,he just doesn't load as much!

Curly

Well-Known Fanatic
I loaded 600 rounds of .223 yesterday and tumbled them in two batches for 30 minutes apiece. The universe did not implode, and my apartment did not explode. I have done this for several thousand rounds now.

Tumbling loaded ammo being dangerous is a myth. Folks at Enos have tumbled stuff for over a day and shot it without ill effects. A family member of mine has had the same .44 Mag ammo riding around in his truck for over 10 years, which is driven over the same awful dirt roads every day. That S&W M29 has never exploded. If that doesn't cause vibratory powder degradation, I don't know what will.
You only shooting 1 day,see ya squaded up with them Norman snobs!!

Curly

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, just on Sunday, but shooting the night match on Saturday. Are you guys coming to that? I wish we were all squadded together!
Shooting Limited Sat.and Heavy Metal Sun.,riding down with Kurt

Rhino55

Fanatic

Sir
I wasn't thinking of powder degradation, but along the lines of static electricity! That is why when CCI, Remington, Winchester and all your major ammo manufactures (AKT/Olion) have employees stand on rubber mats or wear static conductive shoes and ground themselves when loading the primer cups. All I can say is you have allot of luck so you may need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Curly

Well-Known Fanatic
Sir
I wasn't thinking of powder degradation, but along the lines of static electricity! That is why when CCI, Remington, Winchester and all your major ammo manufactures (AKT/Olion) have employees stand on rubber mats or wear static conductive shoes and ground themselves when loading the primer cups. All I can say is you have allot of luck so you may need to go buy a lottery ticket.
Spiff aint much bigger than a minute and you call him Sir he will have to buy new shooting glasses because his head will swell!!!!!!

Spiff

Semi-Pro
:))

If my head swelled, I might be able to wear normal people glasses!

But seriously, if I bought a lottery ticket, these guys would all beat me out.

Didn't have much time to go through the link, but it's pretty standard practice for high volume shooters to tumble the finished rounds. Gotta run.

Chambers

actual GM
You only shooting 1 day,see ya squaded up with them Norman snobs!!

I resent that! I live in OKC now. :)

What is Kurt shooting? Chris and I are doing lim Saturday and tac Sunday. Are you guys getting in on the low-light match, too?

Curly

Well-Known Fanatic
I resent that! I live in OKC now. :)

What is Kurt shooting? Chris and I are doing lim Saturday and tac Sunday. Are you guys getting in on the low-light match, too?
Kurt is shooting Limited and Tac optics,I'm shooting Limited and HM. I think Kurt is shooting the low-light match,I haven't decided if I will shot the night match,
Ya'll take enough of my money as it is <_<

Chambers

actual GM
You gotta shoot the night match. What else are you going to do? Drink beer and watch? Actually that's not a bad idea...

rustin

Well-Known Fanatic
The best thing to do with rifle is run it through in two passes if you are using unprepped brass. I like Dillon spray lube a lot better than One Shot for rifle. It simply lubes a lot better and it's cheap. When you are processing a half dozen 5 gallon buckets of 223 brass a year, you need cheap lube.

I run 1050's and have two separate 223 heads.

Head #1:
Deprime
Swage
Resize/Trim with Dillon trimmer

At this point you need to tumble the brass to clean the lube off and get the brass shavings out. I tumble for 8-10 hours usually since I like shiny brass.

Head #2:
Deprime again to clear the flash hole
Swage again just to make sure
Prime
Powder
Bullet seat
Taper crimp

Latest posts