Lubes compatible with duty treat

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all,

Dan Wesson recommends nothing but FP10 for their firearms .

With their stainless models , ive run the break in with FP10, just to go by the book. Since then, I lube with whatever I find first in my vast collection of snake oil .
I know duty treat will discolor with some lubes and cleaners. What have you found to be safe on duty treat finishes besides FP10?

hendershot

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have a duty treat gun, so don't have experience in what will discolor it, but is there a reason to not continue to use FP10? I know of at least one top smith that recommends and uses it, and it seems readily available at the local stores.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
In general, stay the heck away from ANY cleaner or lube that is aerosol.

Ones I've tried, no particular order
Mobil 1
Slip 2000 EWL
WD40
Isopropyl alcohol
Kroil
Balistol
WeaponShield
MPro 7
FireClean
Wesson veg oil

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have a duty treat gun, so don't have experience in what will discolor it, but is there a reason to not continue to use FP10? I know of at least one top smith that recommends and uses it, and it seems readily available at the local stores.
Only reason to consider something else is I have a surplus of just about every lube imaginable. I like some better than others.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Many years ago a friend that shoots IDPA matches and put thousands of rounds thru his guns told me he used 20-50 syn. motor oil on rails , barrel lugs , and bushing . Kroil on rest of gun . I switched to this and it's been fine . I do this on blued , stainless , duty coat . No issues , and cheap .

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I try to use FP10 w/ my stainless duty guns, but will use either that or Breakfree w/ everything else.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
In answer to @Badabing11's question:

I've used both the red and green Amzoil gun oils, Gunfighter, and some synthetic 0w10 motor oil on mine. Probably something else. Primarily Ballistol or mineral oil for cleaning, except inside the barrel. Sometimes Simple Green.

I'm not a super "heavy" shooter, but I have carried the gun some, used it to train quite a bit. It's almost three years old and has about 10k through it. Spent a long Texas summer carried OWB. Maybe been in/out of the holster 2k-3k times. Had it out on a training table last week at the range and someone walked by and said, "Man, that's a beautiful gun." So it still looks ok.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Just found out about some great rust preventative. It's called Renaissance Micro-Crystalline wax polish. The Renaissance brand is made in England & cost $15 for 65 ml. The E.J. Wheaton Co. Microcrystalline wax polish made in the US is $18 for 8oz...It's the same stuff at half the price...I've been using it on my EDC mags since I couldn't keep the rust off of them no matter what I used. The stuff is nothing but bees wax in some petroleum base. I use bees wax on my muzzle loaders works better then rig grease or any other greases/oil I used. Years ago when I got orders overseas left my guns at my in-laws. Had bees wax on the muzzle loaders & rig grease on my other guns. When I got back there was rust on all the guns except the muzzle loaders...
And no a muzzle loader was not my issue weapon...but my flight instructor did train in biplanes...we couldn't believe it...
Feedback/comments/verbal abuse is welcomed.
Godspeed & Merry Christmas

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Where did you get their gun oil? I use Amsoil for all my vehicles to include the mower, but have never seen their gun oil.
I see Bender linked to a source. I really don't remember where I got it but probably Amazon. At one point one of the mfgs - maybe Springfield - was shipping little packets of Amsoil with their new guns so I bought a bottle of each. It seems fine to me. I don't shoot in subzero temps and it rarely gets below 30 degrees here, So if you're hunting above the Arctic Circle or whatever YMMV but I never had any trouble.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've used many lubes thru the years.. even thought Rem oil was good, until I read it wasn't ( in comparative tests)
my gunsmith recommended FP-10..gave me a bunch of small sample tubes. It worked well enough I did buy a bottle off Amazon.
I use it for lubing, not cleaning. I spray pistols, & BCG's from ARs , down with WD-40 (bought by the gallon) then, let sit for awhile, later wipe it off.
Most carbon & deposits are removed. I do use a teflon based grease (SuperLube) on sliding surfaces, barrel lugs, frame & slide rails.
Most surfaces, oil will run off, grease is oil in a suspension, so it doesn't run off.
Been using my clean, oil rotating parts, grease sliding parts system for > 30 yrs.
It works well for me.

ILED93

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm using FP10 on my Duty Finish guns, primarily because that's what DW says to use in the manual and I don't want the hassle should a warranty issue ever arise. I have no real complaints about it other than it's another bottle on the cleaning supplies shelf and I pay attention to keep the rags I use to wipe my guns down separated so that I don't accidentally wipe a Duty Finish gun down with something DW says may cloud the finish. To help avoid confusion, I'm currently using FP10 when I clean any of my handguns. I got some Lucas products as a gift (their CLP, extreme duty gun oil, and gun grease) and have been using them on my long guns. They seem fine, also.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Luberplate white lithium grease on slide rails LSA in everything else. Used LSA since I 1st saw it for me that's it not much I have not used in the past lifes.

Latest posts