Lowes water heater reimbursement under warranty

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
My water heater went out over a month ago. I had a plumber come in and inspect it, and he told me it was a manufacturer?s defect in the water heater. Called up Lowes and filed a claim with them under the product protection plan. Never going to get one of these again from lowes. Spent 2 hours fighting with them over how they would reimburse me to start with. Finally got them to agree to send me a check instead of a Lowes gift card. Then the real fun started. First I had to have one of their ?approved? plumbers come out to inspect the water heater and determine that it really was broke. Ok I can understand that. They don?t want me conspiring to commit fraud. The guy they sent is the one who installed our dishwasher 2 units ago. The dishwasher that broke, because he screwed up and did a half arsed job, and that caused $3000 worth of damage to our kitchen. Ok I can live with this. It?s not like he is going to be the one to install this one.

Then I found out that Lowes is only going to reimburse me for less than half of what the water heater actually costs. See, when we bought it we had time to do our research. We just needed to upgrade our unit to a bigger model, so we had the time. So we found manufacturers coupons, Lowes coupons, and waited for a sale and ended up getting it for about half price at the time. Which is all they would reimburse us for. What we paid, not what it cost at the time, let alone the replacement cost. I was willing to eat this craptastic sandwich too, because I could almost see their point.

Now I have fought with the company for over a month, with 4 different people handling the case, and found out they are only going to reimburse me 75$ of the 225$ installation fee. Pickup and delivery are not covered (ok I?m willing to eat that again.). Disposal is not covered (wow, 3 sandwiches now. Starting to taste it). Post install inspection is not covered. Yeah, if the brand new unit they sold me leaks or is broken, I have to start all over again. Buy a new unit, etc, etc, etc? Oh really tasting that now. REMOVALE OF THE OLD UNIT IS NOT COVERED!!! Apparently the plumber is supposed to miraculously install a new water heater without removing the old one. I wish I had know this in advance, I would have had him peplum the entire house on Lowes bill, since only ?installation? charges are covered. Apparently removal of a broken unit is not considered part of installation.

On a side note, since it has been so long in coming, they promised to send the reimbursement check overnight express. It came presorted standard. Little bit of difference in delivery time there.

I called Lowes and talked to one of the many people who have had a hand in the reimbursement process. She told me to talk to their lawyers. This is flat out customer abuse in my opinion. When i asked to talk to her supervisor i was told she would transfer me to the legal department so they could "explain the language of the product protection plan. translation, we will weasel our way out of honoring the agreement. To paraphrase the quote ?you don?t like how we screw you over, sue us?. I cant afford to take on a multi million dollar corporation out of pocket, but I don?t think a complaint to the better business bureau or consumer reports is going to help at all. So, has anyone else had this problem, is aware of a class action suit, or knows a lawyer willing to take the case cheap?

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i know its to late now but you could have gone to the "expert exchange" thread when it went out. some one might have been able to help. now you need a guy looking to make a gassafier. he can come get your old heater for the steel boiler inside.

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
The heater has already been removed. the problem is lowes apperntly expects a plumber to install a new heater without removeing the old one. they will only pay "instalation labor". according to them you dont need to remove an old water heater to install a new one in the same place. Frankly, had i known that, i would have gotten a bunch of the endless hot water heaters and had him install them at the sinks and showers instead of a central unit. the price would have been about the same as a single new unit, but labor would have been much higher

tylermark

New Fanatic
You could have hired a PA to file a claim with the Lowes. They would have talk to them and fixed your problem or even have replaced the water heater. The PA's are well experienced and they know how to deal with.

Acecool

Well-Known Fanatic
We purchased a Fridge from Lowes and they installed it incorrectly. They left the water-line to leak and I think it cost about $3,500 in water damages ( just to dry the water up; not included the rest of this post ). They ( Rainbow or whoever did the drying ) removed the flooring in the kitchen, they had to remove cabinets etc. We have a half disassembled kitchen and Lowe's still hasn't covered the drying fee.

We're going through our homeowners insurance company now who took care of the $3,500 drying fee and will take care of replacing the kitchen, redoing the entire downstairs hardwood floor as it all became bowed from the water getting into the sub-floor, replacing fiberglass under the house which got drenched, and more. I have an 85 year old grandmother with Alzheimer's. While they do the work, we'll be in a hotel for about 4 weeks. We can't take her with us because she will go insane ( even more so that now that with just the kitchen disassembled etc etc ) so they're going to put her in a home for the month while everything get's fixed.

Then, after it's all done, our insurance company will go after Lowe's for their craptastic install.

I won't be using them for future installs of anything related to water or electricity. Speaking of which, we got a new stove from them too. Guess what happened? We had to call the fire-department due to an electrical fire in our house coming from the stove. Luckily I shut off the stove's power before anything "happened" ( aside from the thick electrical fire smell )...

Edit: Just noticed the OP posted a year-ish ago, previous poster brought it back and this is still kind of relevant with Lowe's. Just another question, was this the Lowe's on James Island? Our incidents are probably only month's apart..

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
im not in the same "smart class" as some people, with smarts, but ive never paid anyone to install things. maybe something to do with air cond.

even so i could mess it up as easy as anyone else but id rather not have someone mess it up for me. id rather not have them in my house.

used to be, as a mechanic, you are paying me, the company i worked for, to fix your car and i break it, you dont pay for what i did. and you cant be charged for installition/replacement without something being taken off.

Acecool

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd prefer to do it myself too, but you can only do so much with a broken neck/back, unfortunately.. I used to do all of my brake-jobs, and everything else with my car. When the transmission went I swapped out the engine ( It was cheaper to replace the engine, and do the conversion myself than having an automatic rebuilt or a new one installed from the quotes I got ) and put a standard-transmission in it, etc...

fiundagner

Well-Known Fanatic
acecool, who is your homeowners insurance company? when i contacted my company, at the time of the original damage, they told me my policy doesnt cover water damage. now as part of a 'routine review' they are in the process of canceling my coverage because of it. lowes told me the warrantly didnt cover any damages, only the water heater itself (yet another sandwich, yummy). the policy, according to my insurancce, only covers catastophic damage, not long term damage of the sort caused by leaks and such. i would like to deal wth a company that acctually does what you pay them to for a change.

Plumbbob

New Fanatic
I had a Home Depot water heater installed (on the adivce of the plumber) but it went out a few months before the warranty run out. So I went to Home Depot and they said "Go pick out the one you want" which I did.
Imagine my surprise when they didn't ask me sign any paperwork and then they loaded the water heater into my truck!

BTW that same plumber specifically told me "Whatever you do don't buy at Home Depot".

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
So much discussion over a broken water heater. Just shoot it already! I read all that just hoping to hear of some creative way you devised to take out your frustration.