Looking to buy 1,000rnds 9mm - JHP or FMJ?

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm loking to buy about 1,000rnds of 9mm to set back "just in case" and was wondering which would be a better all-purpose round. For 1,000 the JHP is $60 more, is it worth it or should I just go with cheap FMJ?

Also, I'm looking at this on Cheaperthandirt.com...is there another source where I could score 1,000 rds for $175 - $235, or less?

...and I don't care if its steel or brass cased - should I?

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Bullets kill regardless if they're FMJ of JHP. For an all around bullet I would choose the FMJ and save the extra money. I also buy all my bulk ammo from www.sgammo.com

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I will take the other point of view. IN a 9MM all it realy has going for it is a bullet that does expand, the FMJ for defensive use will indeed "kill" but in many cases it does it in a slow manor, which allows more bad stuff to contimue to happen. For ammo I was going to "set aside" I would spring for an expanding bullet, which to me is true of ANY pistol caliber! Now with that in mind, you could also look at some of the big remanufacturers like B-VAC, Black Hills, Atlanta Arms. They make JHP bullets comprable to factory fresh but at less cost. Just know what type of bullet they use and make sure it is a expanding JHP instead of a hollow point that is designed for match accuracy instead of expansion.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I will take the other point of view. IN a 9MM all it realy has going for it is a bullet that does expand, the FMJ for defensive use will indeed "kill" but in many cases it does it in a slow manor, which allows more bad stuff to contimue to happen. For ammo I was going to "set aside" I would spring for an expanding bullet, which to me is true of ANY pistol caliber! Now with that in mind, you could also look at some of the big remanufacturers like B-VAC, Black Hills, Atlanta Arms. They make JHP bullets comprable to factory fresh but at less cost. Just know what type of bullet they use and make sure it is a expanding JHP instead of a hollow point that is designed for match accuracy instead of expansion.

Depends on the purpose you are setting back, but that stated I would take a good JHP over a FMJ most times. For those others just throw a couple boxes of FMJ back as well. Now if it is for the O.S I forgot to reload for the match than the cheapest stuff that works the gun and hits the target and then a couple of boxes of JHP just in case some day you might need them or rotate your ammo.

choose brass case over steel

If match or for preps I would opt for brass. it can be reloaded, less likely to stick, less likely to break extractors, and can be sold or traded. Bottom line much easier on the gun and more reliable regardless how many rounds of steel has been used in it or by others.

Now if I had a comm block surplus then I would store a bucket full of the tuna cans of ammo because that is what is designed for but would still keep an extra extractor and spring on hand.

Now a thousand rounds can teach you how to reload and pays for itself if you purchase a single stage press and beam scale or nearly so. Haven't checked prices in a while but Lee always has their stuff on sale and I would opt up for the turrent. Be cheaper in the long run than buying store bought for your extended shooting pleasure. WSF, Unique, AA5 for protection and Tightgroup for target. Of course there are many powders that work in the 9x19, but your just in case scenario and the cost of powder points me to these powders. WSF and Unique can be used in pistol, rifle (lead) and shotgun as well as give adequate vel in pistols. Sorry got off track and like to babble.

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
KurtM - The one I'm looking @ is B-VAC once fired brass.

I'm kinda leaning toward brass the more I think about it. I don't reload, but may decide to in the future. 1,000 brass cases would then come in handy. Even if I didn't reload them I could sell or trade them to someone who does.

BLR

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone know anything about the jack ross ammo? I found a few reviews but it is all for the new ammo not the reloads. If its good i might just order some at that price!

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
Bullets; all bullets suck, they usually dont work. You need to find one that does.

Mike...once again your analysis is spot on. LOL!

(You are just messing around, right? 'cause if you're not I need some clarification...)

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Doesn't matter if the ones you are using suck or not if you don't put in the right place and add company.

ummm

Active Fanatic
Does anyone know anything about the jack ross ammo? I found a few reviews but it is all for the new ammo not the reloads. If its good i might just order some at that price!

I've only shot 1000 rounds of their reloaded 115gr 9mm -- this stuff:
http://www.jackrossammo.com/9mm-115-gr-RN-case-of-1000-RELOADED.html?page=1

I can't really evaluate the ammo in any meaningful way except to say that it all worked. I would not hesitate to buy from them again, except it took about 7+ weeks for the ammo to arrive (because of their prices, they are extremely popular), and I want to see how 124 and 147 grain loads affect my shooting, and they don't sell anything but 115 grain.

It did leave my gun cleaner than the 147gr Speer Lawman I'm currently firing (got it from SGAmmo thanks to the links here at BoomerShooter!), but that might not be an apples-apples comparison...I dunno if 147 grain is always dirtier or what factors might be at work.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
My "run" ammo is Federal Hydra-Shok 147gr and I used to buy 3-4 boxes every payday till I had 4x the magazine capacity of my preferred handgun. Now I "burn off" the stuff in the three normal carry magazines every 3 months when I change all of the batteries in the flashlights, EOTech's, and HTs.

Latest posts