Looking for some one-on-one help.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I just recently purchased my first AR. Have never shot well with the platform and definitely not doing as well with mine as I'd like. I'm trying to find a mentor who would be willing to take me to a range and volunteer and afternoon of assessing what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I'm a bench shooter and am not even doing well with this rifle on my fancy bench rest setup. I need some help in figuring out what I'm sucking at. Can't hurt my feelings..................because I honestly want learned critique. Anyone willing to step up and help a neophyte?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Sure. Come to the OKC Gun Club on Saturday. After the match I’ll help you out. Match will end 3pm or so.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.........................but I teach a class at the Moore/Norman Tech Center on Saturday's. (at least until the middle of April)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
give us a rundown of the gun & sighting system, maybe the problem isn't you.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Anderson upper and lower. Heller Enterprises Tactical, 18" Stainless Steel, EV5 (Polygonal) barrel with 5.56/WYLDE chamber and adjustable gas block. HyperFire EDT2 trigger. Nikon Africa 1-4 scope. (I've got a Nikon 4-12x40 on the way)

Right now I'm shooting off the bench with a target benchrest up front with a BumbleBee bag in the rear. This barrel is brand new, only having 70 rounds run down it. I'm shooting American Eagle .223 right now while waiting for bullets I've ordered from Sierra. Greg Lamb has been working with me from afar, but I believe I need some one-on-one help, if even just for one afternoon. While my primary concern is bench, I know I don't have a clue how to shoot this thing off-hand.

p2761686802-4.jpg

Here's the reason I'm disappointed:

p2761686722-4.jpg

That's a 4.25" group at 100 yds off the setup in the first picture. I'm a bench shooter and not used to groups like that! Greg says it looks like any one of four things he can think might be causing me problems, without actually watching me shoot. First the barrel probably hasn't settled in yet. Second, American Eagles aren't as accurate as my reloads. (I was shooting under 2" groups with my OEM 16" barrel after just 200 rounds through it.) Third, a 4X scope isn't the best for 100 yd work. Forth, my trigger isn't really all that good for target shooting.

So should I just quit fretting and keep shooting to let everything settle in or does something stand out as glaringly incorrect?

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Did you assemble the rifle? What bolt carrier are you using? I’ve built 4 or 5 rifles now and all of them have performed better than what yours is doing. It sounds like you are an experienced rifle shooter so I doubt that technique is a real issue for you. My first thoughts are something with the build being out of spec, either the assembly or the parts.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
What's the twist rate of your barrel? Have you tired different ammo, specifically a different bullet weight? My first barrel was like that, but twice as bad. I couldn't group better than 10" @ 100 yards. Had a guy that's more "seasoned" that myself look, and said it was my barrel. I could either shoot heavier bullets, or swap barrels. I swapped the barrel and it's been a tack driver.

BTW, that grouping is more than sufficient for local 3gun matches :sarcastichand:

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry 'bout dat! The twist rate is 1:8. Anderson OEM BCG. Homer, in Moore installed the new barrel, adjustable gas block and handguard so I'm not concerned with a botched gunsmith job.

As I mentioned, the target shown was shot with the standard plinking round from American Eagle. However, I had previously shot 2" and smaller groups with the 16" OEM barrel with a 55 gr FMJ bullet from RMR over various weights of TAC. However, I've got 400 Sierra 63 gr semi-point SP bullets being delivered by UPS any minute and I'll be loading those with H322. Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself with the frustration bit. I'll get these rounds loaded and get this barrel to settle in a little better before I complain further.

I had an opportunity to feel a POF drop-in trigger today that was tons nicer than my Hyperfire EDT2. Knowing what I know about my 4 oz. set-trigger on my target rifle, I know how important triggers are. Will probably be making that improvement down the road in the near future.

dennishoddy

With that 1:8, I'd be shooting heavier bullets although some run 55 grain in that twist with no issues.
Different loads and a decent trigger is where I'd start.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Greg agrees with you on both those subjects.

As I said, I'm waiting on the 63 gr bullets now. He says that bullet has been accurate in every rifle he's used it in.

I just took my trigger apart and inspected it with a 40X jeweler's loupe. At that magnification I could easily see the problem. I should have sent it back for an exchange, but I've done enough trigger jobs in my life I just touched it up myself. Can't wait to actually put it to a target. It's smooth and has a glass break. Very pleased, but the proof will be in the targets.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a 1:9 that shoots Hornady bulk 55 FMJBT at 1.25 MOA. My DPMS barrel shoots them right at 1 MOA. I'm betting barrel.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I got the barrel "settled in", installed the Buckmaster 4-12x40 scope and got away from the factory ammo and pulled my trigger and did some proper polishing. Shot a .500" group this past Wednesday when the wind was down. New barrel, gritty trigger, couldn't see the target and better ammo was the crux of the problem. My .500" group was shot with a 69 gr Sierra Match King over 22.2 gr IMR8208XBR with a CCI41 primer. Oh, and the OAL was 2.314". Had to buy an ASC magazine that would hold ammo that long.

Still can't hit the side of the barn off-hand at 100 yds but I've never been any good off-hand. :sarcastichand:

dennishoddy

Chris54326 said:
That's reassuring. Glad I'm not the only one.
You don't want to shoot offhand against my buddy though. I swear he can stop his heartbeat to get a steady shot offhand. He won every one of the offhand silhouette matches at our range by a large margin.

Latest posts