Looking For Silencer/ Suppressor Info and Help

dfinan

Well-Known Fanatic
I am looking at getting my first suppressor for one of my AR's. As I know nothing about them (other then what they do), I am looking for advice on what to look for in a quality suppressor and if anyone can recommend some to look at. Thanks!

Willfully armed

Fanatic
7.62 specwar. Rock solid QD. Suppresses 223 better than many 223/556 dedicated cans. Full auto rated down to 7.5", and magnum rated up to 300 ultra mag.

It was between it and a Thunderbeast 30p1, as they sound very much alike, but the TB doesnt handle rapid fire.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I just got a Saker.
I can use any of the most popular mounts as well as direct thread due to the ability to change out the mounting piece. If not for that option, I would've gone with the Specwar cause it's a bit cheaper.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt Rigsby said:
I just got a Saker.
I can use any of the most popular mounts as well as direct thread due to the ability to change out the mounting piece. If not for that option, I would've gone with the Specwar cause it's a bit cheaper.
Yep, Omega does the same, Very versatile.

The nice thing is it comes included with a qd mount, which alot of them do not (they ding you with that extra cost) & the direct thread mount as well.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Wall said:
The nice thing is it comes included with a qd mount, which alot of them do not (they ding you with that extra cost) & the direct thread mount as well.
Yep, mine came with QD mount, and I got the direct thread for less than half price cause I was in the right place at the right time.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Wall said:

This is what I got.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Dead Air Armament Sandman-S.
built by Mike Pappas and Gary Hughes. Pappas started SiCo. Their mount is rock solid, suppression is great. End cap is user replaceable.

They also make a great fix for Saker's and Omega's replacing the MAAD Mount with their Key-Mo system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TayJ6

Active Fanatic
SilencerShop out of Austin is a great online resource for a lot of the bigger names in the industry, and few of the smaller ones. Good place to get an idea of price and features. They have some video reviews and comparisons of several models.

**Of course, once you think you have made a decision, post it on here and see if one of the site sponsors or members can take care of you in getting it ordered and/or transferred locally.**

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
dfinan said:
I am looking at getting my first suppressor for one of my AR's. As I know nothing about them (other then what they do), I am looking for advice on what to look for in a quality suppressor and if anyone can recommend some to look at. Thanks!
There are many good replies above.

However, you didn't specify what your requirements or expectations are.

1) You said "one of my ARs" Is this going to always be dedicated to "one" AR?

2) I'm assuming "the AR" is .223/5.56. Do you own other calibers you might want to cover? Covering larger calibers can be done say a .308 can on a a .223. Usually the tube will be larger and the bore diameter is larger allowing gasses to escape faster. The larger can volume will offset the bore diameter, however. A good .308 suppressor will get very close to the best dedicated .223 suppressors, but at a cost of bulk and weight.

3) Is the suppressor always going to be mounted?
Point of impact shift needs to be considered and the ability for the mount/can combination to repeat every time it is mounted. If it is always mounted this can be less of an issue if you use a direct mount. Sight it in and you are done.

4) Are any of the rifles it will be mounted on equipped with welded and pinned mounts to meet minimum length requirements? You want to make sure a mount is available to be installed and maintain that length.

5) Do any of the rifles it might be used on have a short barrel? The blast of shorter barrels can be more damaging than that of a 16-20" barrels. The construction of the suppressor can make it last longer, usually by use of materials like inconel in the suppressor. Some mounts can also help as the mount itself may act as a sacrificial blast shield protecting the baffles.

6) What is your expectation of the report the rifle will make when suppressed? The suppressor's volume by far is the most influential factor in the sound reduction. A .223 AR is still going to be loud no matter what you put on it. But a larger can will be quieter compared to a smaller can.

I suggest making a weight and using it with a cardboard tube to simulate a a suppressor you are considering. Tape it to the barrel and see what you think of the balance and bulk.

There are suppressors that add 3.5" of length and 10"+ in length. They fit different needs and perform differently.

7) Does the suppressor you are considering have a wide variety of mounts for future needs, odd threading, etc. And if they offer them, are they always readily available?

Is the company likely to be around in 3-10 years to continue to support your needs?

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
Lol, I still stand by my earlier post
The Omega could be a very good choice.

I have a 10" .223 SBR

Goals:
Protect my hearing without personal hearing protection for home defense or my truck.

As short as possible to allow maneuverability in truck, and house.

Reduce the noise when training in indoor ranges.

Still be able to unmount it for firing with loud noises and fireballs and rattle the windows in an indoor range so I can impress and/or annoy the others. Or move it to another gun.

I have other cans taking care of other calibers so this can be a dedicated 223 suppressor.

So compare a AAC Mini 4 vs the Omega.

AAC 2.8" added length to the vs Omega about 7" (I think published lengths are direct mount)

AAC should be a bit lighter when including the mounts.

Don't get me wrong, the Omega would be a better choice if more sound reduction was wanted, multi calibers, and weight and length were not factors. But in the above situation I chose the Mini 4.

I'm getting ready to move my OmegaK to my 9" 300BLK to try it out and see how it compares with my AAC 762SD. I should lose 4.5" in length but likely add 10db or so. All in all similar with the above.

It all depends in the goals and expectations.

charger arms

I snapped some pics so you could get an idea what some of these look like side by side and what comes in the box. I don't have a Specwar 762, but one of these is the Specwar 556. silencerco has discontinued the SpecWar line and remodeled the Saker to a dedicated ASR mount.

0cfbd7cd8619f4f6f30a4e16ae7a102e.jpg

3e22e5579d07ea08b6a61d1111c1fd83.jpg

L-R: DeadAir Sandman-S, Rugged Surge, SiCo Saker 762 (original style), SiCo Omega, SiCo Specwar 556, SiCo Hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charger arms

Matt Rigsby said:
I hear really good things about Rugged suppressors too. I'm thinking of getting their Obsidian 45 for my pistols.
It and the Dead Air Ghost have the ability to be converted to a "K" configuration. You can't go wrong with either. If you already have SilencerCo pistol cans, the pistons work on the Rugged. Rugged might be newer name in suppressors, but the founder, Henry Graham has been doing them and doing them well for years (SWR).

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
It and the Dead Air Ghost have the ability to be converted to a "K" configuration. You can't go wrong with either. If you already have SilencerCo pistol cans, the pistons work on the Rugged. Rugged might be newer name in suppressors, but the founder, Henry Graham has been doing them and doing them well for years (SWR).

Interesting. I haven't followed the market like I used to. I didn't realize Henry had left SilencerCo. I'm surprised he was not under a non-compete from SWR being bought by Silercerco. A few of the SilencerCo offerings were previously SWR products. My Spectre is pre SilencerCo SWR branded.

Latest posts