Looking for a good set of irons

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Just ordered my first AR and i'm looking for a good set of iron sights (front and rear) to put on it. I'd like them to be equally suited for 3 gun and longer range (400-500 yds) shooting. Are all irons the same or are there some out there that are better than others?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
What's the barrel diameter out at the muzzle?

Clamp on fronts like the Armalite or the JP are easy to install and have been durable for me. Pair it with a DPMS removable A2 rear.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
DPMS rear and JP clamp on front sight/gas block all the way out at the muzzle. That what the best iron sight shooter in the country runs, his name is Kurt Miller.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
JP front and yes mine is headed to the muzzle, I like the LMT A2 rear sight but the DPMS is just as good and you will find that you will more than likely turn the front post to a smaller dia. Just a hint and you said you had just ordered your AR but a 20" barrel IS the ticket! just say sight radius cause that's where it's at with irons. I have an 18" barrel and well after a few matches I have a 20" being turned by McGownen in the contour I want.

If your going to be at the Ponca match I could bring it along if Tony has the room and you could check it out and see what you think. Later,

Kirk

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure if the Ponca match is gonna happen for me. Still waiting on a part to come in on my pistol. Not sure if I'll have it by then. Although i gotta say, that looks like a badass place be be. I've already committed to shooting at heartland on Sunday.

I did order an 18" barrel thinking that it would be more than enough for moderate distance shooting and 3 gun. What made you decide to get a 20"?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Not sure if the Ponca match is gonna happen for me. Still waiting on a part to come in on my pistol. Not sure if I'll have it by then.
what part are you waiting on?
Is it to fix the decocker or a different pistol?

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep, the decocker. Waiting on a new hammer release lever to come in. Stupid factory one was plastic. If I had known they had switched to plastic parts i would have gone with a different pistol.

Feegee

The Magic Man
I got two pistols you can borrow if you want. One set up for production think it holds 16 and one for limited 10 but it will hold 13.

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I have always heard 50fps per inch but from what I have seen from my rifles I'd say with an extra 2" you'd get around 25-30fps. My whole reason is the sight radius and the longer barrel seems to take a touch of the wiggles out from me shaking cause I forgot to breath LOL shooting irons the velocity gain would not be enough to justify in my opinion. Later,

Kirk

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
i've shot irons out to 500 yds so i understand what you are saying about the sight radius and the shakes. at that distance even a minor nervous tremble looks like a 9.0 earthquake.

how does the extra fps translate into downrange distance? an extra 50 yds for every inch of barrel length and gained fps? 100 yds? i know theres a correlation there i just dont know what it is. i see these 24" varmit rifle barrels and wonder if thats just overkill.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
At the ranges you'd shoot in 3-gun that extra 30-50fps would mean nothing, NOW when you start stepping out past 500 THEN it makes a difference BUT if you know your dopes then who cares? yeah my 243 is easier to make hits out at 800 than my 308 cause I don't have to be as close on my range guess then you get the 284 out and you can be off on your guess quite a bit and still make a hit.

It all boils down to this, know your drops, know your hold overs and you'll be golden AS long as you practice at those ranges. Later,

Kirk

Chambers

actual GM
Beyond the 300 yards at our local matches it does matter, especially when you're trying to knock down an automatic target designed for a much bigger round!

If I can have an extra 50 fps I'll take an extra 50 fps.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
My Question is sorta in-line with the OP's so I'm not starting a new thread to ask it.

When you use the JP Gas Block, are you just using it for just the Iron Sight or are you removing the existing gas block you have and fully replacing that functionality? If replacing, does that mean you have to plug up the existing gas vent on the barrel and purchase an extra length gas tube? Or is all of that improbable or impossible and you either order new barrel with the vent in the appropriate place, etc?

Just wonder because the DPMS Oracle doesn't come with any sights and I want to try it with Irons before upgrading to an Optic. Is there a front sight that attaches to the barrel vs is a gas block with a front sight?

Thanks,

Medicius

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
If you use a clamp on sight all the way out by the muzzle, then you have to leave the existing gas system intact. If you want a gas block/sight up by the handguard in the intended position you'll need to replace your current gas block & depending on your handguard, possibly that too.

Latest posts