Look what showed up in my yard

dennishoddy

I was in the pool, doing a little sunning yesterday, sucking down a Salty Dog drink while floating on a air matress.
Got out to get a refill, and this 25 lb buck fawn was laying under a tree, not 50ft away.
Got the camera out, and the fawn got a drink from the pool. I didn't catch the shot as i was changing lense.
He hung around all day, getting up and eating some grass, etc.
Finally had to run him off, so the dogs could get out to do their business.

DSC02617.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

DSC02614.jpg

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Lyme disease is not a problem in OK. The vector is present, but the causal agent is very rare.

The major tick-borne diseases are Rocky Mt. Spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, and tularemia. Besides protecting yourself from ticks, you also need to protect your pets. My Golden Retriever is being treated now for RMSF. He presented with lameness 3 months ago. At first we belived it to be injury, but inury, hip and knee problems were ruled out. He tested postive for RMSF. He is improving.

Approximately 40% of dogs presenting with lameness also test positive for the RMSF and ehrlichiosis (M. Digregorio, personal comm.).

dennishoddy

I had RMSF a couple of years ago. Trust me it will take a man to his knees. They fed me antibiotics intravenously for most of the day, and then orally for a month afterward.
My wife has had lymes disease from picking ticks off the dogs, and crushing them with her fingernails. Caught it early because I spotted the "bullseye" on her shoulder.

Latest posts