Long distance rifle range?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Know a guy who is looking for a place to shoot his .50 BMG rifle he recently picked up. He lives around Cushing. What ranges in the area is it safe and allowed to shoot a .50 BMG and also where you can shoot at a decent distance?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The few people I know that can shoot at that distance do it on private land. We should start a fundraiser to facilitate 1000 yards at OKCGC.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
It's been a long time since I've been to the rifle side of okcgc, but don't they have a 600 yard range that the military uses on occasion?

Feegee

The Magic Man
Hey Matt do you remember that place we went to shoot long range but my land? Think that would be a place for him to go?

dennishoddy

Matt Rigsby said:
It's been a long time since I've been to the rifle side of okcgc, but don't they have a 600 yard range that the military uses on occasion?
Yes they do. I drove over there after a match one day to look it over.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Feegee Matlock said:
Hey Matt do you remember that place we went to shoot long range but my land? Think that would be a place for him to go?
Just finding that place is an all day adventure.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
It is the first range, when you come in on the Sorgum Hill Road.

It has multi Firing Point (200 - 300 - 400 - 500)

It has a pit where targets go up and down.
Score's stays in the Pit while firing is going, then lower targets and score them.

Look on OKCGC home page under High-Power Range

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
A 1K range around close to Okc would be great! the closest place I can shoot is over an hour drive and it's out to 775 but I have to be nice to get to go shoot there, other than that it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. 1K would be ok for most calibers but a 50 needs some room to stretch it's legs! 1K with a 50 will get boring once you figure it out. Wish we had a range like Bobby has BUT close to home. Later,

Kirk

grantwoodok

Well-Known Fanatic
The OKCGC specifically prohibits the use of 50 BMG and bigger caliber rifles on their rifle ranges. They say it tears the berm up too much.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
OKCGC has a 500m range with pits?!

I have to find out why we're not doing KD Appleseed events over there.

pits are at 600 if I recall, and if any club members are interested in using it, they have to get a range specific orientation first

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
pits are at 600 if I recall, and if any club members are interested in using it, they have to get a range specific orientation first
This is correct. The 600 line is the covered one. Then there are multiple other fireing lines closer.

dennishoddy

Grant Wood OK said:
The OKCGC specifically prohibits the use of 50 BMG and bigger caliber rifles on their rifle ranges. They say it tears the berm up too much.
The .50 cal can penetrate 4' of earth. We allow them at the Ponca Range.

BTW there is going to be a 600 yds match east of Ponca in August, and possibly in September. I'll post more info later.

There may be a bonus round at 900 yds.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the info, guys! I'll certainly pass it along to him.

I have heard that USSA doesn't allow .50 BMG due to being too close to the airport. Can anyone confirm that?

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure on the airport thing but the main reason I never got a 50 is there just are not many places to really shoot one, it's hard enough to find a place to stretch the legs of a 308! most of the place I used to shoot would limit calibers on their steel to 338 or 300 Win. I've seen AR500 that has been hit with a 50, it will not punch thru but it puts an impressive dimple about an inch circle! this was 1" plate, it may punch thru 1/2" AR500. Good luck to your buddy on finding a place and if he does might let us know :) Later,

Kirk

Latest posts