Locking Trigger Pins in Blowback PCC

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Thought I'd share this excellent bit of info from Mark Passamaneck

"Basically the force on the hammer pin in a blowback is significantly higher than in a DI or Piston .223. As such, that pin can start to egg out the pin hole. In a standard trigger geometry, that geometry then changes and it causes predictable issues. In a drop in, it is less, but the hammer pin still takes a lot more force than the trigger pin. When you use locking pins, you transfer some of that energy to the trigger pin and mitigate the egging out of the hammer pin. Basically, the locking of the two pins prevents rolling (galling) and more rigid structure to spread out the energy. Especially the guys who are trying to use low mass buffers and springs, the hammer pin forces are extreme in blowbacks. In the MPX, it does not matter."

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
They've been out of stock.

Btw. They aren't necessary with a drop in cartridge type trigger like those from BoomerShooter sopnsor Timney Triggers. It's just the individual component types like a mil-spec, JP, Hiperfire, etc. that need the extra support.

I'd use them for cmc also because that sheet metal cage is flimsy.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Wall said:
They've been out of stock.

Btw. They aren't necessary with a drop in cartridge type trigger. It's just the individual component types like a mil-spec, JP, Hiperfire, etc. that need the extra support.
I'd use them for cmc also because that sheet metal cage is flimsy.
CMC triggers ship with their own anti rotation pins for this reason.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
Interesting. I've been running KNS pins with my 24C for 2 years.
Good to know. I knew about the problems with the hammer pin hole and wanted to add anti-walk / anti-rotation pins but with the 24c trigger, I did not want to be the first to experiment.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I installed the KNS pins on my PCC last evening. The result was a great trigger has become a good trigger. Not what I wanted. Ran just over 70 rounds through the gun this afternoon in hopes it would clean up. But no change. As Hiperfire cautioned on their website, adding anti-walk/anti-rotate pins may degrade the quality of the trigger pull.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the KNS pins or the Hiperfire 24c trigger, but with the pins added it is now "slushy" possibly with increased trigger pull weight. Nowhere as nice as it was when the 24c was first installed.

Now I need assistance/recommendations.

First, anyone that has put in the pins with a 24c trigger and continue to use them, was there a change in the "feel" of the trigger after adding the pins and in time did it improve?

Second, can anyone tell me how many rounds were fired in their 9mm PCC before they started having problems with the hammer pin hole egging out?

I need to decide to either accept the trigger as it is now or put the mil-spec pins back in and plan on replacing the lower receiver in time.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Bill

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Flatland Shooter said:
Well I installed the KNS pins on my PCC last evening. The result was a great trigger has become a good trigger. Not what I wanted. Ran just over 70 rounds through the gun this afternoon in hopes it would clean up. But no change. As Hiperfire cautioned on their website, adding anti-walk/anti-rotate pins may degrade the quality of the trigger pull.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the KNS pins or the Hiperfire 24c trigger, but with the pins added it is now "slushy" possibly with increased trigger pull weight. Nowhere as nice as it was when the 24c was first installed.

Now I need assistance/recommendations.

First, anyone that has put in the pins with a 24c trigger and continue to use them, was there a change in the "feel" of the trigger after adding the pins and in time did it improve?

Second, can anyone tell me how many rounds were fired in their 9mm PCC before they started having problems with the hammer pin hole egging out?

I need to decide to either accept the trigger as it is now or put the mil-spec pins back in and plan on replacing the lower receiver in time.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Bill
The sprung detent inside those hiperfire triggers has a hella spring on them & that's probably where you're picking up the drag since the pin can no longer rotate.

Try swapping them & using the screwed (rotating) pin in the hammer & the other (slotted) pin in the trigger.
This will still keep the force of the hammer from moving the pin around & egging out the hole, but it will be able to rotate with the hammer.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
On Tony's suggestion, I put the KNS rotating trigger pin into the hammer hole and the KNS non-rotating hammer pin into the trigger hole. To allow the pin to rotate, I did not torque the screws tightly that go into both ends of the trigger (now hammer) pin to allow the pin to rotate. I cleaned the threads, added a little primer and #242 Loctite to hold it together.

A few minutes before making the change, I installed the Mil-spec pins so the "trigger feel" was fresh in my mind.

The end result is Tony's suggestion improved the trigger feel. It not quite up to the Mil-spec trigger feel but its close enough that I'm now a happy camper. Plus I have the KNS anti-walk/anti-rotate pins in place to avoid future problems with the hammer hole egging out.

Thanks Mr. Wall

Bill

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Flatland Shooter said:
On Tony's suggestion, I put the KNS rotating trigger pin into the hammer hole and the KNS non-rotating hammer pin into the trigger hole. To allow the pin to rotate, I did not torque the screws tightly that go into both ends of the trigger (now hammer) pin to allow the pin to rotate. I cleaned the threads, added a little primer and #242 Loctite to hold it together.

A few minutes before making the change, I installed the Mil-spec pins so the "trigger feel" was fresh in my mind.

The end result is Tony's suggestion improved the trigger feel. It not quite up to the Mil-spec trigger feel but its close enough that I'm now a happy camper. Plus I have the KNS anti-walk/anti-rotate pins in place to avoid future problems with the hammer hole egging out.

Thanks Mr. Wall

Bill
Cool, happy to help

Latest posts