Lightened bolt carriers on shot guns

Swifty

Well-Known Fanatic
What are y'alls thoughts on lightened bolts on shot guns? Less recoil or not or just faster cycling? There is a Discussion going on on other forum about it. I'm just trying to compare opinions.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Slightly reducing recoil would be the only real benefit of it because if you're running a benelli fast enough that you need the bolt modded to keep up with you, then you're definitely not aiming, just spraying and praying.

dennishoddy

I've never experienced Lightened bolt carriers on shot guns. I'm kind of old school, but my Browning shotguns had rings that one could change to make them cycle for different loads. But, that made them load specific.
Kind of thinking there might be some problems with cycling different loads if its used for three gun unless they have similar chamber pressures for the shot, slug, and buck.
The newer shotguns have solved the problem for different length of shells with porting, but you already knew that.
It will be an interesting discussion.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I lighten them to make them cycle faster much like a lightened slide on a pistol. Oh and they look cool when they are cut.

dennishoddy

Gas operated SG'ns are no different that a gas operated AR. A certain amount of gas on top of a spring tension is required to fully cycle the BCG. Any deviation like gas pressure, spring tension depreciating, different loads, all can make a gas operated gun short cycle, or cycle too hard.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
No reason to lighten the bolt on a Gas op gun, the only reason I know for that kind of work is on recoil driven systems to speed the cycling

Latest posts