Light pin strike

Bob

New Fanatic
I have a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. I love the gun. Just one trouble. About every 15 or 20 rounds I have no bang. Eject the round and run it again and it fires. I have a glock in 10mm that fires everything I put in it. The RI is much better to shoot all around. How can I get that firing pin to hit just a little harder?

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a similar problem with a new Rev Tech. Sent it back and they took care of the problem. Now fires consistently and no FTF with a variety of ammo.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Not being negative but do you know correct primer height is not flush but below it. I have seen this way to many times as well as trigger jobs creating this. The OP is a classic example of it.

fflincher

Active Fanatic
How's it do with factory ammo?
Problems only with reloads?

Issue: failure to detonate primer.
1. Cartridge not fully seated in chamber.
2. Primer not fully seated in cartridge case.
3. Slide not fully in battery.
4. Firing pin too short.
5. Firing pin has too little energy.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
....And your Glock has sloppy chamber tolerances. In some respects that allows for overcoming many otherwise problematic ammunition issues. Maybe not this one, but....Just sayin'.

Matthew Thomas

Fanatic
1911s are sometimes picky about brands of ammo too. I have .45 and 9mm. Do not have any experience with 10mm. Hard to do right now but finding a couple of brands that run all the time and use those. I miss the good old days of trying all kinds of brands. Now I am thankful when I can buy any at all. Good luck.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
1911s are sometimes picky about brands of ammo too. I have .45 and 9mm. Do not have any experience with 10mm. Hard to do right now but finding a couple of brands that run all the time and use those. I miss the good old days of trying all kinds of brands. Now I am thankful when I can buy any at all. Good luck.
I run American Eagle 10mm 180 gr FN in both my RIA Commander and my 10mm carbine for target and other practice. Never any issues in either. Nosler Match works well also when you can find it. For self defense I carry the RIA with Underwood JHP 180 gr. Can't remember which one (several 180 gr JHP options)

wadeestes

New Fanatic
I had the same issue with a 1911 in 45 acp. I cleaned it regularly, but had never removed the part where the hammer strikes that covers the cavity where the firing pin and spring are. It had a lot of gunk that caused the occasional light strike. After cleaning it out the problem was solved.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
Just saying the following: I currently own 10 1911s and I've owned several others in the past. I've never had an issue with any ammunition in any of those guns. I think keeping it clean and maintained is the key to reliability. As others have mentioned, pulling the firing pin and spring out as well as the extractor and cleaning those and the cavities on occasion is helpful.

Latest posts