Leupold VX-R 1.25-4

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I am looking for a new score for my AR. I had been looking for a 1-4 but have recently seen a Leupold vx-r. Is the extra .25 mag on the Leupold really that big of an issue. I am looking for something I can use in 3gun as well as field use so distances from 0 to 400+ are all possible.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
It is only 1.25 but I thing it is more magnification than you want at close targets.
I do not think you will be happy, on the low end a true 1x will help you transition faster example would be shooting through a small port at extremely close array of card board targets.

Just my opinion

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
i have one new for sale..

if you are just getting going it is a great scope due to price/value. 400 yards at 4X is a pretty good poke but the SPR reticle has a hash that is very close to 400/425 yards in .223. For the longer range i prefer the 1.5-5 or ever the ew 1-6, but those are in a complete different price range. I have used the scope and at short range the extra .25X was not an issue becuse it there is an illuminated dot. Shooting both eyes open it is still really fast.

if you are interested in a 1.25-4 give me a holler at 620.252.8138

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
There are a bunch of true 1-4X at all price ranges on the market. Why even mess with a 1.25-4x? Those were common place 3-4 years ago.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
That is kinda what I thought. I am new to magnified AR optics so I wanted other opinions. I will most likely stick with the Vortex I planned on.

bulletman

Well-Known Fanatic
Old post... But I saw the 1.25-4. Is the .25 extra power still that bad for 3gun? I was thinking the Firedot may off set the extra .25 power on the close targets. Or am I still better off with a tac30.

What's next up the line after the tac 30 scopes?

Leupold vx6 1-6? Or is the only decent step the Vortex $1399 scope?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I started with a 1.25-4 tr24. Once I switched to s true 1-4 there was no going back.

The keep old VX6 1-6 are next after the Burris In my book. You could dabble with a primary arms 1-6. Fuzzy glass but it's worth the $. At least until the vortex Strikeeagle comes out.

Jeremybj

Fanatic
I have looked through a lot of high end 1-X scopes, and none of them are true 1x in my opinion. For the money, you cant beat the vortex 1.25-4, get it.

Latest posts